Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-09, 10:54 AM   #13
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Tearing, Tearing and again TEARING!!

Tearing is described rather badly here, unfortunately with no screenshot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing

As far as I can tell, those posts don't show anything like tearing; they're just corrupt.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 11:24 AM   #14
Lemmiwinks

I have attached a screenshot here, which I took while playing x-moto.
You see these strange edges?
They appear when the picture/camera is moving vertically.
And that's tearing I guess...

You would see it much better at live motion.

P.S. compiz is enabled, sync to vblank is enabled everywhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x-moto tearing.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	36642  
Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 11:26 AM   #15
Stephen Warren

Yes, that's tearing. Unusual it happens so many times per picture, but.
Old 04-27-09, 11:37 AM   #16
Lemmiwinks

but what?^^
is my hardware faulty?
Old 05-26-09, 12:50 PM   #17
ghost_zero5

When using XVideo output for Video and Compiz I also get the tearing. I am currently using driver version 180.44.
Regarding 185.19, I couldn't even find that driver version in the Beta-Section of the nVidia website? I only found 185.18.10 or did you mean that one? If so, I guess I should try that one regarding tearing and XVideo and Compiz?

I was only able to get "tearing-less" video output with Compiz by activating the VSync option in OpenGL settings of NVIDIA X Server Settings and the VSync option in Compiz and disabling the auto-detect refresh-rate option and set that one manually AND using OpenGL for Video-Playback. I was not able to get XVideo completely tearing free with Compiz.
Of course, if I use the unredirect_fullscreen_windows option the tearing is gone in fullscreen video playback if there aren't any controls displayed because then the output seems to bypass Compiz. However, that option has some minor other problems like the short flashing when moving the mouse AND ESPECIALLY, it doesn't work when watching not in fullscreen.

However, I was able to get OpenGL-Video-Playback tearing free as far as I can tell, I haven't tested too much yet but it seems more or less tearing-free by comparing scenes where I had tearing with XVideo or OpenGL without the settings I mentioned before with OpenGL with the settings I mentioned above.

EDIT:
I have now tried v185.18.10 and it is still there with Xvideo. Though I believe not that extreme anymore but I compared a few scenes OpenGL and Xvideo and with OpenGL there is nothing and with Xvideo you see some "lines".
However, in window mode the tearing is nearly undetectable (if there is any at all but I think I saw at least one time a tearing effect in window mode too) but it is noticeable in Fullscreen (I believe mainly the upper half of the window).

EDIT2:
Edited the EDIT
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 11:12 AM   #18
Lemmiwinks

Puhh it seems to be pretty complicated on your machine...
If you have upgraded compiz once, be sure to reinstall it completely, it solved all tearing problems for me except for the one I described appearing in x-moto (maybe other 2D games too). Which version of compiz are you using right now? I think 0.82 solved a few problems.
also be sure to have nv-settings loaded on system startup.
Changing nvidia-drivers does not make any difference at all, anyway 185.19 is still available on the ftp-server:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/
If you really want to use a beta version, I would always recommend the latest, 185.18.10 right now ( I know version numbering is a bit weird )
Old 05-27-09, 12:40 PM   #19
ghost_zero5

Regarding Compiz-Version: I have the one included in Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty). According to Synaptic it is 0.8.2
As said: I already have 185.18.10 (185.19 is older than that one?) installed and for OpenGL video output the problem seems to be gone but not with Xvideo.

One more question: Is there a way to set decimal refresh rates in compiz because according to the NVIDIA X Server settings my monitor has a refresh rate of 59.95Hz, I have currently set Compiz to 60Hz therefore (is the nearest one).

Regarding: "nv-settings on startup" as it has been a long time since I had to check if and when something is loaded: How to I check/change this?
Old 05-27-09, 01:18 PM   #20
Lemmiwinks

Alright, if you upgraded from ubuntu 8.1 you have to delete your .compiz folder in your home directory. This could fix your xvideo problem, another solution might be to check whether sync to vblank in nv-settings on the xvideo tab is activated...
I got sync to vblank checked everywhere, nv-settings and compiz...

Correct 185.18.10 is newer, ask AaronP about this

As far as I know it is not possible to set decimals in compiz, but 0.05Hz wouldn't make a difference at all. I wouldn't even rely on the correctness of this information, mine is 59.90

You can check this at System->Preferences->Startup Applications
The value should be nvidia-settings -l

Old 05-27-09, 02:15 PM   #21
ghost_zero5

Vsync is active everywhere: The nvidia-settings -l was not in the startup programs, I have now added it but it doesn't change anything regarding the Xvideo tearing.
However, those effects with Xvideo aren't so extrem and often near to unnoticeable - well actually I notice them - especially if I rewatch and compare - but they don't occur so often (mainly on "fast" scenes though and even then I believe not always but it is more or less still reproducable on the same scenes.

EDIT:
I have now also tried another player and got the same results. However, with the other player I also sometimes get tearing effects with OpenGL (I believe not that often though). After that I watched the same scene a few times with my default player and I was also able to get the tearing with OpenGL there, however it doesn't occur always and is most times nearly unnoticeable. It at least seems to occur far less (near to none at all, just with a few scenes it seem to be even possible and even then only very seldom) with OpenGL than with Xvideo. Especially in my default player (SMPlayer 0.6.6 with MPlayer SVN r29317)

EDIT2:
I have no installed 185.18.14 and with those the tearing seem to be way better now (far less) but still not completely gone with Xvideo. However, it might be gone completely now with OpenGL haven't done that much testing but at least OpenGL still has near to zero tearing (or as said with the new driver it might be gone completely with OpenGL). In comparison to Xvideo which some scenes nearly always (not always but nearly always) produce tearing.
Old 05-28-09, 05:03 PM   #22
ghost_zero5

Today there were some updates for Ubuntu 9.04. Especially some Compiz updates too.
Those seem to have lessened the tearing effects with Xvideo but they are still there.
OpenGL is still better.
I also tried vdpau now and with that mode I have the worst output (regarding tearing).
Old 05-28-09, 05:45 PM   #23
Lemmiwinks

Hmm I always appreciate updates on compiz, although I did not get any, maybe they are already older, or do you you receive prerelease updates?
vdpau does not work at all for me, as I didn't find any libvdpau package that fits 185.18.10. Does anyone know, where I can find those?
Old 05-28-09, 08:52 PM   #24
Stephen Warren

nvidia-180-libvdpau appears to be the name of the Ubuntu package. However, that's only at version 180.44 according to packages.ubuntu.com.

If you install from the .run file, everything should be there by default.