Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-09, 04:24 AM   #25
ghost_zero5

Default Re: Tearing, Tearing and again TEARING!!

The updates seem to be a bit Ubuntu specific. Only the Ubuntu subversion changed. The compiz version itself is still the same.
Regarding vdpau: I don't know which player you use but I had to recompile Mplayer to get vdpau because before I had it compiled without vdpau (different graphic card used for compilation).
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 04:50 AM   #26
Lemmiwinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
nvidia-180-libvdpau appears to be the name of the Ubuntu package. However, that's only at version 180.44 according to packages.ubuntu.com.

If you install from the .run file, everything should be there by default.
Oh you are right, I don't even need that package.
Although I still got a cpu usage of about 20% when playing a 1920px hd video using vdpau.
I installed an mplayer package from ppa: http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/mplayer/
Don't these packages suit for vdpau?
Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 05:05 AM   #27
ghost_zero5

Ah I want to add that I activated the proposed updates to look out for updates that might fix my problem but I had totally forgotten that I had done so.
Probably those updates were already available earlier though. I only noticed once I got notified. That is how I got those updates.

EDIT: Regarding vdpau: I now looked at my mplayer process with a 720p H.264 video and according to CPU usage it is the same with OpenGL and with vdpau too which is kinda strange though which is less than 20% though (but I have a quad core processor so) and I have compiled Mplayer myself SVN-r29326
Old 05-29-09, 07:28 AM   #28
Lemmiwinks

Well 720p is about half of the size of a 1920p, so I'm not surprised that your cpu usage is less than 20 percent.
My Mplayer has revision SVN-r29139, which is I guess a bit older, but when I type "mplayer -vo help" the vdpau driver is listed, so I suggest it should work properly.
Stephen Warren, any input from your side?
Old 05-29-09, 09:11 AM   #29
gonzo_s

You are all too "stuck with compiz". I simply have NO compiz at all. It is COMPLETELY removed, cleaned out and erased from my system with no traces and/or configs left. Just don't use it. But there is STILL tearing in OpenGL apps like OpenArena under Linux. I'm always heving the latest Nvidia drivers installed with no other issues actually.

P.S. In Windoze it's flawless, smooth and perfect. But not in Linux as for now

P.S.S. I've tried EVERY possible fix to avoid this (sync, vblank, editing xorg.conf, etc. etc. etc.) Doesn't help. Btw, I don't get tearing when watching video as some are complaining. Only in OpenGL. I think it just needs to be reprogrammed and we just have to wait for the devs to figure it out.
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 09:19 AM   #30
ghost_zero5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Well 720p is about half of the size of a 1920p, so I'm not surprised that your cpu usage is less than 20 percent.
My Mplayer has revision SVN-r29139, which is I guess a bit older, but when I type "mplayer -vo help" the vdpau driver is listed, so I suggest it should work properly.
Well: It doesn't surprise me that it is under 20 percent What I am more surprised is that vdpau doesn't change the CPU usage one bit which is kinda strange.

@gonzo_s: Well: Of course, I can disable Compiz but it is not just eye-candy, it has some nice features too like the Window content Preview when you hover over the taskbar items. The zooming possibility and such things and furthermore it still should work flawlessly with Compiz BUT maybe you are right and those tearing effects appear without Compiz already too which would mean they should be even a higher priority.
But it is true: There really has to be some work done regarding Vsync. I don't understand why in Windows it works flawless but not in Linux. Furthermore, in Windows nearly never activate any Vsync at all and don't get tearing.
Old 05-29-09, 10:55 AM   #31
gonzo_s

Yup, exactly. By default no tearing (sometimes one can enable forcing of vertical sync and that is all). But that's Windoze, and we are here for our beloved Linux

I'm not that good in programming/developing unfortunately. So I can only suppose that it's a faulty interaction between Xorg and the driver. Well, just suppose, so I won't flame here
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 11:46 AM   #32
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
20% sounds high for VDPAU, unless you have a slow CPU. Are you explicitly activating it using "-vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau" (or the appropriate codec?). I don't have any information about that PPA you mentioned, so I can't comment on that.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-09, 01:18 PM   #33
technogeeky

I am experiencing tearing in software rendered videos (using virtually any player: smplayer, totem, vlc) which is exacerbated (to the point that I get skipping in sound) by any actions (mouse or keyboard events in other windows, such as Nautilus or Firefox).

I am using four monitors with Xinerama and without Composite or TwinView. I am not using OpenGL rendering (or vdapu). My monitors are all DVI, and they should be set to 60Hz refresh rates, but on inspection they are slightly off:

My two Acer x223W's have refresh rates of 59.88 Hz, and my two Dell 1801FPs have a refresh rate of 60.02 Hz.

Is this expected behavior? Should I try to set them to 60.00, or is this just the normal variance in this regard?
technogeeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:47 PM   #34
djalma

I got a nvidia FX5200 with a tft monitor conected via DVI and using the lastest driver version avi (173.14.18).
Im using the default monitor resolution: 1680x1050
Compiz ---> 0

===

When I try to play HD videos (720p for example) in fullscreen mode, then I got massive video tearing. No matter any of options that you can set to control the screen via nvidia-settings that you anyway got video tearing as result.

===

The poor/sad solution: Open any video before you open the desired one, & open this second HD video. Then you can close (or pause & minimize) the first one and see the HD video without tearing effect.

( If you havent got a sound card with hardware mixing support I guess that you can try to open this first video with nosound option, for example: mplayer -ao null )

Regards.
djalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 05:47 PM   #35
ghost_zero5

Quote:
20% sounds high for VDPAU, unless you have a slow CPU. Are you explicitly activating it using "-vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau" (or the appropriate codec?). I don't have any information about that PPA you mentioned, so I can't comment on that.
I have tried this now and the CPU usage is about 10% for a 720p video (a bit less most time but sometimes a bit higher). It seems that SMPlayer doesn't use the vdpau codecs but just the vdpau output method.

Anyway: This thread is acutually regarding TEARING: Is there any news regarding this? Especially, when will there be a working fix for it?
Old 05-29-09, 08:38 PM   #36
Lemmiwinks

Quote:
Sorry for talking about vdpau again
Well I have got a mobile core 2 duo @ 1.8GHz which is quite fast enough to run HD videos even without vdpau.
And yes I explicitly activate it using that command, but with wma instead of h264.
Mplayer also doesn't report any errors so I assume it works as it is supposed to.