Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-09, 09:24 PM   #37
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Tearing, Tearing and again TEARING!!

With some GPUs, part of the WMV/VC-1 decode is still performed on the CPU, so 20% CPU might make sense.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 03:49 AM   #38
Lemmiwinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
With some GPUs, part of the WMV/VC-1 decode is still performed on the CPU, so 20% CPU might make sense.
It's an 8600m GT, which has as far as I know all pure video capabilities, so it doesn't make much sense to me. I tested this with the nvidia sd vs hd demo video.
I'll try to get an mpeg or h264 file and will be back with the results.

Anyway, big thanks for the great Linux support, keep on rockin!!
Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 04:30 AM   #39
ghost_zero5

Now, if only the tearing issue would be solved.

@Stephen Warren:
Do you know if there is any ETA (or at least approximate driver version) when the tearing issues with Video Playback (Xvideo) and OpenGL applications are solved? Especially in combination with Compiz but gonzo_s mentioned sometimes also without Compiz - but far less though...
But as I was able to compare ATi graphic card drivers with the nVidia ones, I can say though that the nVidia one are at least better than the ATi ones but as already mentioned here by far not perfect.
But at least in Compiz I still wonder why aren't there options like unredirect Xvideo and OpenGL output instead of only the unredirect fullscreen?
Especially, it would make a bit more sense because that way the player controls wouldn't interfer with the unredirect option but probably such options aren't so easy to create because only part of the output has to do with that option, in contrary to the fullscreen option where just the whole output is "unredirected".
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 05:17 AM   #40
Lemmiwinks

@ghost_zero5
do you have access to a recent ati graphics card? Unfortunately I only have an AIW 8500.
I've heard that their driver got much better this year, so it would be interesting how they perform with compiz, vsync and so on...
Old 05-30-09, 08:09 AM   #41
ghost_zero5

Actually, I have a HD4770 too. But regarding Compiz I had various problems: e.g. if I logged off and logged in again, I got random "graphic errors" (lines) throughout the screen. If I logged out again, the system completely hang up, not even console change worked anymore.
Xvideo doesn't have vsync at all, not even without Compiz. OpenGL video output without Compiz seemed to work pretty fine though. With Compiz also tearing (however, compared to nVidia it happens way more often and is more noticeable too).
Xvideo output and Compiz often results in hang up when switching to fullscreen or actually most time when leaving fullscreen mode.
Unredirect fullscreen option is nearly unusuable because when you go to the controls you see about 3-5 seconds the background before you are back with the video output and the controls.
Rhythmbox crashes because of the driver too when virtualization is enabled (though not displayed, it is enough that the plugin is enabled).

But of course, the HD 4770 is pretty new, so maybe the results are way worse with that video card as v9.5 Catalyst is the first one that actually supported that card officially (which was also the driver I tried btw.)
Old 05-30-09, 08:38 AM   #42
Lemmiwinks

Hmm that sounds strange to me, I mean they simply cannot release a driver that works that bad as you describe!
But anyway nvidia is still the better choice for sure.
Old 05-30-09, 09:16 AM   #43
ghost_zero5

Well: Actually, those aren't all the problems yet, if I remember correctly there are a few more still but as said maybe it is even worse because of the HD 4770.

Btw.: I now tried to update all xorg components and compiz components to the Karmic ones (by adding the Karmic repository as third-party repository) and afterwards re-installed the nVidia driver - I did this because the last updates to jaunty-proposed seem to even have worsened the tearing effects, especially with OpenGL output and now it is a bit better again but still not completely tearing free but I believe at least as "good" as before the update to jaunty-propsed.
Old 05-30-09, 10:36 AM   #44
djalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalma View Post
I got a nvidia FX5200 with a tft monitor conected via DVI and using the lastest driver version avi (173.14.18).
Im using the default monitor resolution: 1680x1050
Compiz ---> 0

===

When I try to play HD videos (720p for example) in fullscreen mode, then I got massive video tearing. No matter any of options that you can set to control the screen via nvidia-settings that you anyway got video tearing as result.

===

The poor/sad solution: Open any video before you open the desired one, & open this second HD video. Then you can close (or pause & minimize) the first one and see the HD video without tearing effect.

( If you havent got a sound card with hardware mixing support I guess that you can try to open this first video with nosound option, for example: mplayer -ao null )

Regards.
A little more info:

Monitor @ 60Hz, nvidia-settings reports 59.88Hz

Tearing only in fs mode
mplayer -cache 200000 -vo xv -fs http://movies.apple.com/movies/param...tlr2r_720p.mov

Tearing with -fs and tearing with -nofs also.
mplayer -cache 200000 -vo xv -fs http://movies.apple.com/movies/param...lr2r_1080p.mov

NO TEARING
mplayer -vo xv *avi
+
mplayer -cache 200000 -vo xv -fs http://movies.apple.com/movies/param...lr2r_1080p.mov

Regards.

PS: With -vo x11 and -vo gl* ---> no tearing, (as people often say)
djalma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-09, 12:15 PM   #45
Lemmiwinks

This doesn't look like tearing in my opinion, at least not on these screenshots, maybe it's more obvious when seeing it live on your screen...
I think it is a different video corruption, but ask Stephen on that..
Old 05-30-09, 02:15 PM   #46
djalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
This doesn't look like tearing in my opinion, at least not on these screenshots, maybe it's more obvious when seeing it live on your screen...
I think it is a different video corruption, but ask Stephen on that..
Mmm probably u got the reason here and this isnt a tearing case:

At lower resolutions this problem is much less noticeable:
VIDEO: [XVID] 576x240 16bpp 25.000 fps 1307.2 kbps (159.6 kbyte/s)

& dont seem the same that happens to me in ogl:

"The diferent parts divided by the lines do not match, and in my videos if they do; in this case the part that dont match is only the line itself"

PS: This problem occurs to me with any player (mplayer, xine, etc)
djalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 11:42 PM   #47
Stephen Warren

The screenshots in comment #44 definitely aren't tearing; they seem like some kind of video decoding corruption. Probably best to ask on the MPlayer users list.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 05:39 AM   #48
ghost_zero5

@Stephen: He/she said that problem occurs on any player or is this just about the last screenshots that occur that way with every player?

But actually, I wonder a bit: How did you create those screenshots in the first place because with the snapshot function of SMPlayer I never was able to "record" the tearing itself and if I use the desktop screenshot function (Print key) there is more wrong with the picture than just tearing (at least if I don't stop the video but if I stop the video I also never was able to see tearing) - probably because parts of more than just one video pictures are taken that way (might be related to Compiz though, I would need to try it without Compiz).

EDIT:
I want to add that, at least for me it seems to be that way, the tearing effects are more/worse if the video quality is lower. I mean the tearing effects are also there with higher quality videos but not so often (at least currently I think that it is that way).