Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-02-09, 04:24 PM   #61
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Tearing, Tearing and again TEARING!!

That's not really true.

The API that compiz uses, and the API that the driver implements, don't allow the driver to act any better than it does. The problem is with the definition of the API, not the driver's implementation.

P.S. Continually PM'ing me simply to point out that you've posted to a thread isn't useful; the forums keep track of which posts I've read for me.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 12:03 PM   #62
ghost_zero5

OK.
Maybe you should get in contact with Compiz developers so that this issue can be sorted out in which way ever?
Or with those who defined the API so that it can get solved that way.
This issue is really annoying and I think it should be fixed in some way. Either through Compiz or through the driver or what is most likely through a combination of both.
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 01:08 PM   #63
Stephen Warren

X.org developers are aware of the issue, and there are some (very preliminary) discussions re: how this might get solved. See for example:

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...st/001771.html
Old 09-03-09, 04:50 PM   #64
ghost_zero5

Ok, but is there anything known how long it will take until these changes see the light of day?
Furthermore, I wonder why has it taken so long until this issue was even stated out? I mean Compiz has been available for a while now
and if there is no way to avoid tearing this is kinda totally terrible, isn't it?

Btw.: In this discussion someone also mentioned the XSync extension but I doubt that would actually resolve the tearing issue because for once someone mentioned that this wouldn't be for solving the tearing issue and also if it would, you would more or less just have to implement it as it already exists...
Old 10-04-09, 06:45 AM   #65
ghost_zero5

Is there any news regarding this?
I mean has the work on that enhancement started...?
Old 10-05-09, 01:31 PM   #66
Stephen Warren

It's early days yet. You'll have to take up your discussions on the X mailing lists, although please be warned that they're development mailing lists, not end-user support mailing lists, so I'd suggest simply reading them to observe any progress that occurs, rather than querying about this, unless you're actively involved in defining the solution.
Old 10-27-09, 08:14 PM   #67
swiftman

Hey All,

I think ive found a way to make this work! At least it seems to work for me even with videos that previously tore so much I couldnt watch the video.

Here is my setup:

What I did to get it working:
  • In the Nvidia X Server Settings:
    • X Server XVideo Settings: Sync to VBlank Checked
    • OpenGL Settings: Sync to VBlank Checked
    • OpenGL Settings: Allow Flipping Checked
  • CompizConfig Settings Manager:
    • General Options -> Display Settings: Sync to VBlank Checked
    • General Options -> Display Settings: Unredirect Fullscreen Windows Checked

These settings will work without tearing for full screen videos. Full screen in this instance is completely full screen with no window management showing, not even the progress bar. The progress bar in full screen videos is enough to break this work around so keep your mouse still and let it hide itself. Tearing is still a problem with anything thats not full screen.

Hope this helps you all!
swiftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 08:26 AM   #68
ghost_zero5

Actually, that with "Unredirect Fullscreen" has been known and worked for a while now.
And it has as you mentioned the problems that already the progress bar breaks it OR that for videos played by Flash player inside the browser (like YouTube) the unredirect option doesn't seem to work.

Old 11-06-09, 10:07 PM   #69
WhiskeyAlpha

I've only discovered this v-sync issue since upgrading to Karmic. With Jaunty and the latest drivers, I never, ever had a single tearing issue with full screen video yet now it is pretty appalling. Just out of curiosity, why exactly would this have only just occurred to me now and not previously?

The irony is that my laptop has gone the other way around. The awful integrated intel chip gave me no end of tearing issues with Jaunty but Karmic and the latest intel driver overhaul have solved this problem completely.

The technical reasons for this occurring may be beyond me but I think maybe Nvidia as a company underestimates the effect things like this have on a company's reputation.

I don't really care who the finger gets pointed at, Nvidia in my eyes at least, should be driving hard to get rid of this bug, contacting whoever is responsible and trying to get a resolution. Because ultimately, my shoddy integrated intel chip is currently doing a better job that my dedicated G80 GPU and that's not good.
WhiskeyAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 03:24 AM   #70
Lemmiwinks

These tearing issues only occur when compiz (or maybe with other compositing managers too) is enabled. Otherwise your nvidia-settings don't start on startup or your configuration is somehow wrong.
You can't really blame nvidia for it, as it is a problem of X in combination with compiz.
nvidia said they want to have this fixed in 2010.
Old 11-07-09, 05:03 AM   #71
ghost_zero5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyAlpha View Post
I've only discovered this v-sync issue since upgrading to Karmic. With Jaunty and the latest drivers, I never, ever had a single tearing issue with full screen video yet now it is pretty appalling. Just out of curiosity, why exactly would this have only just occurred to me now and not previously?
Regarding "Full Screen" you should look in the Compiz settings manager if the option "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" is enabled. I believe in Jaunty it was enabled by default.
This doesn't as I stated actually solve the problem but provides a workaround for Fullscreen windows (which however doesn't work for e.g. Flash videos).
One question: Does Compiz work on your Laptop (e.g. minimizing window effects and such things)?

And yes I also think that this should be considered more important and actually it doesn't really matter how it gets fixed as long as it is fixed in the end (though it is probably true that there isn't much that can be done by now).

@Lemmiwinks: When did they say they want to have this fixed in 2010. Furthermore, sometime in 2010 is a pretty long time though.
Old 11-07-09, 06:38 AM   #72
Lemmiwinks

There is a really interesting article on phoronix.com
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...qa_linux&num=1

Unfortunately I'm not really proficient in all this stuff, so I understand not even a fourth of what the Nvidia developer talked about...
But I'm sorry, I think I have to disappoint you, I misunderstood that...