Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-09, 09:08 PM   #73
WhiskeyAlpha

Default Re: Tearing, Tearing and again TEARING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
These tearing issues only occur when compiz (or maybe with other compositing managers too) is enabled. Otherwise your nvidia-settings don't start on startup or your configuration is somehow wrong.
You can't really blame nvidia for it, as it is a problem of X in combination with compiz.
nvidia said they want to have this fixed in 2010.
Sorry, I should have been a little clearer.

I have noticed that the vsync issue is really only present when compiz is enabled (and even then only really during fullscreen video) but this wasn't a problem with the exact same machine when using Jaunty.

Also, my laptop runs compiz and fullscreen vids no problems, not a tear in sight.

If it is the case that the Nvidia driver is not at all to blame, why don't I experience the same issue with my laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
Regarding "Full Screen" you should look in the Compiz settings manager if the option "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" is enabled. I believe in Jaunty it was enabled by default.
This doesn't as I stated actually solve the problem but provides a workaround for Fullscreen windows (which however doesn't work for e.g. Flash videos).
One question: Does Compiz work on your Laptop (e.g. minimizing window effects and such things)?

And yes I also think that this should be considered more important and actually it doesn't really matter how it gets fixed as long as it is fixed in the end (though it is probably true that there isn't much that can be done by now).

@Lemmiwinks: When did they say they want to have this fixed in 2010. Furthermore, sometime in 2010 is a pretty long time though.
Great, I'll give that setting a try later. Thanks
WhiskeyAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 06:21 AM   #74
ghost_zero5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyAlpha View Post
I have noticed that the vsync issue is really only present when compiz is enabled (and even then only really during fullscreen video) but this wasn't a problem with the exact same machine when using Jaunty.
Actually, it is also there when you don't use fullscreen, it is just not so easy to notice as the "window" is smaller but e.g. if you maximize the Window (not Fullscreen) you should be able to notice it too. Of course, it also depends e.g. on the video (though of course, tearing isn't a video only problem but personally I notice it there best) - Some create more tearing than others.
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 01:29 AM   #75
cuacuab

I'm really annoyed by the tearing. But I don't use compiz, just metacity from Gnome - still a lot of tearing. As far as I read in this thread, it's also a problem in the X server - but even with the newer one from Ubuntu Lucid there is no change

The german magazine c't wrote about it, but they thought it had something to do with VDPAU (which i don't/can't use - Geforce 8800 GTX).

Does anybody know something new about this topic?
Thanks for your efforts!
cuacuab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 03:05 PM   #76
ghost_zero5

The only thing I know is that since Ubuntu 10.04 I use my ATi card with the Open-Source driver (since that one finally has Xvideo and 3D support for my card now) and with that one the tearing is (at least it seems to be that way - not noticed it since) gone. I never was able to get rid with it through the nVidia driver - or the fglrx ATi driver - (at least not completely).
I also wonder why there has been more or less nothing done regarding this matter as this one is a really annoying issue. Why more annoying than e.g. slow performance in 3D programs or what so ever.
However, it might also be related to the newer Compiz version that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 - but I don't think so.
Old 11-06-10, 05:00 PM   #77
ghost_zero5

I know this thread is old but has there been any news regarding this?
Is it fixed by now?
How about the "enhancement request" that was reported? Any news on that one?

Furthermore, as said with the open-source ATi drivers I don't have these issues. However, I had them with both closed-source drivers - but maybe that has changed by now..?
Old 11-06-10, 07:11 PM   #78
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

A set of extensions to allow proper synchronization between the compositor and applications has been proposed on the xorg-devel mailing list, but so far nobody has reviewed it.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 04:12 AM   #79
Lemmiwinks

It has become better with Ubuntu 10.10 which uses x-server 1.9. I don't get any tearing in OpenGL applications anymore, neither in fullscreen, nor in not fullscreen. 2D on the other hand is still a problem unfortunately. Also xvvideo without "undirect fullscreen windows" enabled in ccsm show tearing...
Old 11-07-10, 08:52 AM   #80
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
A set of extensions to allow proper synchronization between the compositor and applications has been proposed on the xorg-devel mailing list, but so far nobody has reviewed it.
Maybe that's a reason to support Wayland after all?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-10, 05:36 AM   #81
ghost_zero5

@Lemmiwinks:
So it hasn't really been fixed as my mine problem with tearing is the one in Videos...

Regarding unredirect: Well this only works when you use fullscreen, so ...

But you say you have no tearing in OpenGL. Have you tried videos using OpenGL output mode?

@AaronP:
When has this set of extensions been proposed? Do you think it will be reviewed and implemented?

After all, this is something "basic"...
Old 11-27-10, 06:00 PM   #82
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
@AaronP:
When has this set of extensions been proposed?
paper: http://people.freedesktop.org/~aplat...ronization.pdf

started in June 2010: http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...ne/010568.html

patches in August 2010: http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...st/011830.html

integration: ??
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 08:30 AM   #83
P.Kosunen

Edit: Problem gone after reboot.
P.Kosunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 03:23 AM   #84
micmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
Integration in December 2010: http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...er/016787.html
micmad is offline   Reply With Quote