Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-09, 11:03 AM   #1
zippy2

Default What you Linux kool aid makers don't understand

WE DON'T WANT A F-ing WORKAROUND, WE WANT IT TO WORK

I got up this morning excited about installing Ubuntu 9.04. The Nvidia driver would not install. I followed the right procedure /admin/hardware drivers/ no luck tried to change desktop visual effects it timed out trying to install driver.

Please do not respond with a "simple" explanation of a workaround or tell me what I am doing wrong.
I AM NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG. I AM NOT SOME NEWB, I routinely edit the Windows registry, I know what a 'hive' is. I am trying to install the Nvidia drivers on a very normal mainstream system. I don't care any more about installing the GD driver. I will wait until this supposed easy to install version of Linux is fixed sometime in the next two decades. REPEAT AFTER ME, WE DON'T WANT A F-ing WORKAROUND WE WANT IT TO WORK>

I don't want to know how to disassemble my automatic transmission to drive to the F-ing store.

What is the point of beta version RC releases if a normal person with a normal PC can't get the F-ing piece of shxt to work.

Also what is the point of posting some "solution" and leaving out some key step, like type
STEP 3: Install
Type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run" to install the driver.

and then conveniently leaving out some command about changing directories or whatever needs to be done prior to this command working. DIP-Shxt says, "Well everyone knows that......" Well DIP-shxt everyone doesn't know that do they, if everyone knew that then it would not be a problem?

It is as if you tell a person to move the manual shift lever in a car to the 1 postion and leave out the depress the clutch pedal instruction, and then when gears strip, you want to say"Well jeez, I thought you knew you had to press the clutch pedal" Well Mr. D-head if I needed to be told how to move the shift lever than did you ever think maybe I might not know I had to push the clutch pedal.
Old 04-26-09, 11:15 AM   #2
artem

Default Re: What you Linux kool aid makers don't understand

Installation of binary NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA ftp servers is only meant for experienced Linux users, everyone else should use their distro specific method of installation.

In case you didn't want to use distro specific method, you should ask politely what didn't work for you instead of ranting
Old 04-26-09, 11:22 AM   #3
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2 View Post
WE DON'T WANT A F-ing WORKAROUND, WE WANT IT TO WORK

I got up this morning excited about installing Ubuntu 9.04. The Nvidia driver would not install. I followed the right procedure /admin/hardware drivers/ no luck tried to change desktop visual effects it timed out trying to install driver.

Please do not respond with a "simple" explanation of a workaround or tell me what I am doing wrong.
I AM NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG.
Yes you are. You ignore sticky threads and give no information which would help us supporting you. And with a 50% chance the problem is also PEBCAK.

Quote:
> I AM NOT SOME NEWB, I routinely edit the Windows registry, I know what a 'hive' is.
So, regarding to Linux you are a newbie. Why do you think that knowledge of other operating systems (and not fundamental knowledge either, but rather usage related things I guess) would help you with a totally different system?

In fact, regarding to what you wrote I'd say you are a newbie in general, as you admit to not even know the command to change a directory, which is the same on all Unixoid systems I know plus the same as in windows ... quite a shame. And by throwing around technical vocabulary (or at least what you think technical vocabulary is) you are not impressing anyone.

Quote:
I am trying to install the Nvidia drivers on a very normal mainstream system. I don't care any more about installing the GD driver. I will wait until this supposed easy to install version of Linux is fixed sometime in the next two decades. REPEAT AFTER ME, WE DON'T WANT A F-ing WORKAROUND WE WANT IT TO WORK>
It works for thousands of people, without workarounds. Including me, that is.

Quote:
Also what is the point of posting some "solution" and leaving out some key step, like type
STEP 3: Install
Type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run" to install the driver.

and then conveniently leaving out some command about changing directories or whatever needs to be done prior to this command working. DIP-Shxt says, "Well everyone knows that......" Well DIP-shxt everyone doesn't know that do they, if everyone knew that then it would not be a problem?
First of all: RTFM.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-h.html

There you have the commands to change a directory.

Then: RTFM again:

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

You should not, and don't have to, install the driver manually in Ubuntu. Even if the GUI Option fails, you can still use the package management. And if that doesn't work, don't blame nvidia. It's not their thing. And they can't make a different procedure for the dozens of distributions doing things totally different out there.

To summarize: You ignore sticky threads which you should read in case of problems. You don't read manuals, and think that you can live without them in a new environment you don't know anything about. Then you shout at people probably not even responsible for your problem, and maybe even think that you'll get support.

As you like car analogies, I sure hope you do things differently when you just bought a new car you don't know nothing about.

Fuchs
Old 04-26-09, 11:59 AM   #4
mdoerner

No sympathy. Go back to Windoze land.......

Mike Doerner
Old 04-26-09, 12:30 PM   #5
Lemmiwinks

could someone remove this thread, please.
Old 04-26-09, 12:38 PM   #6
Lost Dog

Successful Troll was successful.
Old 04-26-09, 02:11 PM   #7
artem

Wink Re: What you Linux kool aid makers don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post

could someone remove this thread, please.
But why? Shouldn't we know and remember our "heroes"? People who refuse to RTFM, people who do not pay notice to sticky threads and information lying on the surface?
Closed Thread