Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-09, 03:33 PM   #13
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Tearing and Composite

Can you run this before MPlayer:

export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3

Then run MPlayer, reproduce the problem, and attach the *entire* log file here. This should tell whether it's an MPlayer or VDPAU issue. Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 05:30 PM   #14
DrSuSE

Stephen,

I tried setting the variable you provided and still had the tearing. Additionally, then, I set two others I found documentation on (just for testing): "GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE" and "GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK" (even though I believe these are already handled via my nvidia-settings rc file).

In any case... I have the same horizontal descending tear, sadly.

Since it seems (or at least the impression I get is) that this is not related to the mplayer black window thing, I am personally going to just focus on the tearing thing for now.

Didn't want to provide useless data, should I run another bug report?

Thanks.
DrSuSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 05:34 PM   #15
Stephen Warren

One last thing on the tearing; what if you set the value to DFP-0 instead? Just for my sanity, please confirm you're testing this variable with a 185.19 or 185.18.04 driver.
Thanks.
Old 04-27-09, 05:45 PM   #16
DrSuSE

Tried changing the variable to DFP-0 and that didn't seem to have any effect (positive or negative).

Verified 185.18.04 in the nvidia-settings app and via "glxinfo" reporting:

Code:
OpenGL version string: 3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.04
In nvidia-settings, I tried playing around with different combinations of the vblank options under "XServer XVideo Settings" and "OpenGL Settings" but no change there either.
Old 04-27-09, 06:20 PM   #17
Stephen Warren

Yes, the sync-to-vblank options in nvidia-settings dont' have any effect on VDPAU (with the exception that the GL setting affects any compositing window manager that's displaying VDPAU windows, but you aren't)

One more question: Since you're in TwinView clone mode, do you only see tearing on one display, or both? I assume you've only been looking at your external monitor up to now?

Let's try another test: Run glxgears or some other OpenGL application. Can you see any tearing on either monitor? What if you change the environment variable GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE between DFP-0 and DFP-1 before running your app; does that affect anything?
Old 04-27-09, 06:27 PM   #18
DrSuSE

Correct, I've only been looking at the external display until now. I do not see any tearing on the built-in screen, and switching between DFP-0/1 in GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE doesn't seem to change anything, but I am not getting any tearing in (for example) glxgears... it's actually only in video. But using non-VDPAU xine and VLC I still get tearing on the external, do NOT get tearing on the built-in.

So far, the only thing that has removed the tearing is disabling the composite extension.

Edit:
Could it be related to Twinview? Is there a better (nvidia preferred) way for me to use the external monitor when I am at home but still be able to see VTs, then still be able to use the builtin when traveling?
Old 04-27-09, 10:33 PM   #19
DrSuSE

Not sure if this will help, but here's what I've done... I redid my xorg.conf again without dual head/twinview/etc... I used the "IgnoreDisplayDevices" option as such:

Code:
Option       "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP-0"
Now, I no longer get the horizontal descending tear.

However, this is obviously not a good solution since I would have to make changes to/swap xorg.conf files whenever I need to use the built-in screen.

I am hoping, though, that maybe this points us into a direction where we can come up with a real solution.

New xorg.conf: http://landlordhat.com/xorg.conf.090427.txt

Thanks again.
Old 04-27-09, 11:21 PM   #20
DrSuSE

Man... this is bizarre, something between the last couple xorg.conf and this one is giving me the whole Powermizer dropping to PerfLevel 0 thing. Does TwinView force it to max or something and now that it's gone, I've lost that benefit? Sorry, sort of off topic, just feel like this whole thing is one step forward, two steps back, heh.

Old 04-28-09, 02:32 AM   #21
GraveR

Ok, getting stranger on the black-screen issue. It seems it only happens when using gmplayer and not plain mplayer. I attached both logs to be sure.

Both are invoked from commandline with '-vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau'. So this is likely a MPlayer issue.
Attached Files
File Type: gz gmplayerlogfile.gz (7.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: gz mplayerlogfile.gz (5.9 KB, 76 views)
GraveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 12:48 PM   #22
jimbob91

I too am seeing the horizontal tearing line that moves down the scre with composite disabled and the 180.5x drivers. My h.264 videos and such play fine with VPDAU (no tearing). Howerver, when I use the internal Mythtv player for TV and recording playback, I see that moving horizontal tearing line. The internal player on Mythtv is using XV, not VDPAU. When I use VDPAU in Mythtv, then I have artifacts. So, I have been dealing with the tearing line for the moment.

So, would setting the "sync-to-vblank" in nvidia-settings correct this problem?
jimbob91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 12:50 PM   #23
Stephen Warren

jimbob91, Yes, you need to enable Xv/Xvideo sync-to-vblank to solve your issue.
Old 04-28-09, 12:56 PM   #24
Stephen Warren

DrSuSE, I would like you to try the following experiment:

1) Make sure 185.18.04 is installed
2) Stop X ("sudo init 3")

3) Make sure your xorg.conf is set up for TwinView Clone (i.e. what you usually use, no IgnoreDisplayDevice)
4) Run "startx -- -logverbose 6"
5) Run the app I'll PM to you, and save the output
6) CTRL-C in the VT you used to startx
7) Save a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

8) Make sure your xorg.conf is set up with the IgnoreDisplayDevice option you recently added
9) Run "startx -- -logverbose 6"
10) Run the app I'll PM to you, and save the output
11) CTRL-C in the VT you used to startx
12) Save a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Then, attach both Xorg.0.log files, and the output from both runs of the debug app. Thanks very much!