Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-11-03, 04:58 PM   #13
SnapIT

Default Re: Nevertheless

Quote:
Originally posted by segflaunt
I guess if the assumption is that NVidia owes us drivers that are production quality because they say they support linux, you *might* have a point, except that this feature is marked as experimental.

Now, regarding performance issues with some 4xxx linux drivers, that's a big issue.

The one thing they *should* do is release specs on the damn cards so the community could write drivers too. THAT's supporting Linux and open source.

In the meantime, I just want to try to make the best of the situation.
AMEN to that spec release, that would allow kernel developers and GTK+ developers to make adjustments and create stable verisons...

(btw, the performance issues are minor, what is worse is that these kernel modules often can hang an entire system, not what you expect from stable drivers, eh?)
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 10:46 PM   #14
Noth

Quote:
NO, NO, NO, the Nvidia drivers is the problem, if they were not the problem would persist with other drivers...
Interesting how I'm not seeing that problem with GTK+ 2.2.1 (Debian sid build) with XRender acceleration enabled (which by the way is marked experimental anyway).

Quote:
no more suggestions from me...
Good. I havn't seen you say anything constructive anyway, just a lot of "these drivers suck".
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-03, 07:37 AM   #15
miq

Hi,

I am seeing exactly the same problem with gtk+-2.2.2 and render-accel enabled. With gtk+-2.2.1 it works correctly.

Can anything else be done to track the bug down?

It would be quite nice if NVidia would fix that and other minor issues with the driver to show us all that they actually do care about the non-windows users.

I must say that the drivers are really getting better and better (although I get hangs with fast writes and sba, could be also partly my mobos fault...via kx133 chipset )

thx Miq
miq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-03, 07:16 PM   #16
Noth

First you say:
I am seeing exactly the same problem with gtk+-2.2.2 and render-accel enabled. With gtk+-2.2.1 it works correctly.

Then you say:
It would be quite nice if NVidia would fix that and other minor issues with the driver to show us all that they actually do care about the non-windows users.

If one version of GTK+ works and the other doesn't what makes you think it's the nVidia driver causing the problem?
Old 06-12-03, 09:33 PM   #17
segflaunt

First of all, I, the originator of this topic, have not pointed finger.

More to the point, where one gtk+ triggers the bug and one does not has not yet precluded the bug being either in the driver or gtk+, expecially since gtk+ uses the RENDER extension the same way with the "EXPERIMENTAL RENDER ACCEL" turned on, I presume.

So, I believe anyone with an agenda should shut the hell up, and allow for more useful discussion.
segflaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-03, 09:02 AM   #18
aritger
NVIDIA Corporation

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention; we are currently investigating.

In the meantime, I suggest not using the RenderAccel XF86Config option... in most cases any performance gain it yields is negligable.
Old 06-13-03, 06:00 PM   #19
SnapIT

Yes, the Nvidia driver will continue to cause problems... where the open source nv driver works...

Nvidia don't care about their users, obviously, so let's see what ATI can do for us...

First one to Open Source is the winner...
Old 06-13-03, 06:08 PM   #20
Noth

Quote:
Yes, the Nvidia driver will continue to cause problems... where the open source nv driver works..
And the closed driver will continue to work where the open source one doesn't, unless there's been a major leap in the DRI capabilities of the nv driver since I last tried it.

Quote:
Nvidia don't care about their users, obviously, so let's see what ATI can do for us...
ATI can't get Windows drivers working, what makes you think they'll get working Linux ones?

And quite frankly I doubt you're crying will do anything more than annoy everyone on these forums.

Old 06-13-03, 06:37 PM   #21
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Noth
And the closed driver will continue to work where the open source one doesn't, unless there's been a major leap in the DRI capabilities of the nv driver since I last tried it.

ATI can't get Windows drivers working, what makes you think they'll get working Linux ones?

And quite frankly I doubt you're crying will do anything more than annoy everyone on these forums.
LOL... well, this is the LINUX forum for a reason, i really don't care about the win drivers, if i did, i would post on the WIN forum, see the difference?

Oh, and i thought that discussion was open on these forums, even if Nvidia zealots cry about how great the drivers are at times...

If you ever grow up, maybe we could discuss this, as it is now, you just refuse to see that Nvidia drivers and the way they are produced are not all that great...

ATI's drivers aren't much better, but still, first one to Open Source will be the winner...

If that annoys you, stop reading my posts...
Old 06-13-03, 07:07 PM   #22
Noth

Quote:
LOL... well, this is the LINUX forum for a reason, i really don't care about the win drivers, if i did, i would post on the WIN forum, see the difference?
It's called a point of referance.

Quote:
Oh, and i thought that discussion was open on these forums, even if Nvidia zealots cry about how great the drivers are at times...
It is, and that means I can bitch about your bitching.

And I'm far from a zealot, I would buy an ATI card in a minute (if I needed one) if I had confidence in them to write decent drivers. nVidia has proven they can write solid, fast drivers for Linux and until ATI proves the same I'm sticking with ATI.

Quote:
If you ever grow up, maybe we could discuss this, as it is now, you just refuse to see that Nvidia drivers and the way they are produced are not all that great...
Compared to what? The nv drivers that have no DRI support? Are there any X drivers that are OSS and have really good DRI support?

Quote:
ATI's drivers aren't much better, but still, first one to Open Source will be the winner...
If nVidia ever makes them OSS I doubt much will change, there's not enough people that understand the hardware as well as nVidia. I'm sure things like an Alpha port would happen, and that would be cool as I could finally get some DRI on my PWS600au, but I doubt major improvments would insue just because the drivers were OSS.

If anyone is being over zealous here it's you, making code OSS doesn't automagically make it better.
Old 06-13-03, 07:53 PM   #23
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Noth
It's called a point of referance.

It is, and that means I can bitch about your bitching.

And I'm far from a zealot, I would buy an ATI card in a minute (if I needed one) if I had confidence in them to write decent drivers. nVidia has proven they can write solid, fast drivers for Linux and until ATI proves the same I'm sticking with ATI.

Compared to what? The nv drivers that have no DRI support? Are there any X drivers that are OSS and have really good DRI support?

If nVidia ever makes them OSS I doubt much will change, there's not enough people that understand the hardware as well as nVidia. I'm sure things like an Alpha port would happen, and that would be cool as I could finally get some DRI on my PWS600au, but I doubt major improvments would insue just because the drivers were OSS.

If anyone is being over zealous here it's you, making code OSS doesn't automagically make it better.
My point has been, all along that *I* could make my drivers work then, that would mean that i could use Maya and OGL apps, as it is now, i cannot, what is the point of starting when i know it will crash as i change tools...

There would be patches for different problems and setups, you should educate yourself about the OSS community before you knock it off to be something that only creates ports to less used systems...

If not for OSS, you wouldn't use the browser you are using or the OS you are using so... yes OSS is powerful... more so than most people know...

I do apologize for the zealot remark though...
Old 06-13-03, 08:06 PM   #24
Noth

Quote:
My point has been, all along that *I* could make my drivers work then, that would mean that i could use Maya and OGL apps, as it is now, i cannot, what is the point of starting when i know it will crash as i change tools...
Have you even tried working with nVidia to get the problems fixed? I understand your frustration but what we're doing here is pretty non-productive.

Quote:
There would be patches for different problems and setups, you should educate yourself about the OSS community before you knock it off to be something that only creates ports to less used systems...
The only problem you've mentioned is Maya, which just happens to be a very expensive piece of closed software with no trial or free version. Maybe the problem is with Maya?

Quote:
If not for OSS, you wouldn't use the browser you are using or the OS you are using so... yes OSS is powerful... more so than most people know...
I realize that, but it's not a panacea. You can't just expect things to become better because they're OSS. It took the browser I'm using how many years of OSS work to become usable?

If this was a Netscape forum before it was released OSS I'm sure you'd be saying the same thing, "hell I could fix that in a few days, if they'd only give me the source." But the tons of people who brough Mozilla to a workable state know that never would have happened and the same thing could easily happen with nVidia's driver.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for nVidia releasing their driver as OSS. But as it is, the driver works extremely well for a lot of people. If you're having problems you've obviously got something different than all those people. How do you know the problem isn't with Maya? What other OGL/DRI drivers have you used it with?