Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-11-03, 02:07 PM   #1
sammy

Default 1.0-4363, no help for kernel crash.

Hi!

I have reported this problem multiple times before with previous driver versions. I have had always problems with driver, but this real annoying kernel crash was introduced to driver, if I remeber correctly, about three or four versions ago.

So, the problem is following: I am using digital flat panel with DVI interface. X works just fine, but if I try to shut it down or even change to the console, the kernel hard locks (even magic keys are not responding). So, I am not even able to use TV-out anymore.

I am attaching a log and my current xf86 config file. However, I must have tried all possible combinations of options, no luck.

My system information:

- Card: Geforce 4 MX 460
- Processor Duron 800 MHz
- Motherboard Asus A7 Pro
- Debian: testing

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4363 Sat Apr 19 17:46:46 PDT 2003
GCC version: gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)

What should I do to get this to work?
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4-and-log.txt (25.4 KB, 92 views)
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 02:18 PM   #2
SnapIT

Default Call Nvidia...

They released these buggy drivers... you bought their card, don't you get some kind of support?

//SnapIT
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 03:28 PM   #3
sammy

Hi SnapIT!

I am from Finland. I don't think nvidia has local support here, so I would have to call to foreign country and that costs way to much.

I have an option though, if there is fault in the card, the card can be returned and I get my money back. I guess this problem fits into that category.

If this crash bug is fixed, this card would be ok. However, it seems to take them too long to fix this driver problem, my patience is running out. A year of non-functional display card is really enough. I am not keen to change my display card (ofcource if I buy a new card, that is not really going to be a nvidia's card), but if it's the only way to get a system that works, then it's what I must do.

Do you or anyone else have any experience about Radeon drivers, are Radeon cards supported with opensource drivers and are the drivers stable?
Old 06-11-03, 03:41 PM   #4
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy
Hi SnapIT!

I am from Finland. I don't think nvidia has local support here, so I would have to call to foreign country and that costs way to much.

I have an option though, if there is fault in the card, the card can be returned and I get my money back. I guess this problem fits into that category.

If this crash bug is fixed, this card would be ok. However, it seems to take them too long to fix this driver problem, my patience is running out. A year of non-functional display card is really enough. I am not keen to change my display card (ofcource if I buy a new card, that is not really going to be a nvidia's card), but if it's the only way to get a system that works, then it's what I must do.

Do you or anyone else have any experience about Radeon drivers, are Radeon cards supported with opensource drivers and are the drivers stable?
The driver problem will never ever be fixed, rest assured...

Nvidias Linux contribution might seem nice, but it is really nothing other than a way for them to try out the OGL part of their drivers, that is why accel-mode has to be disabled to make them work right, this is pre-alpha drivers for OGL.. when we (the community) have tried them out and helped them enough, they will release the real drivers for Win32, we get the next portion of their pre-alpha...

I have used ATI cards and Linux drivers, and i have had better luck in both professional use (Maya3D) and games (Fakk2 and SOF) than i have had with any Nvidia product... the frame rate comparisons are heh... at best a great advantage to ATI...

So, i have concluded that ATI has better support... why do i keep pushing for Nvidia support? Could it be because my customers would like me to, could it be because competition feeds excellence...

I would hope so...
Old 06-11-03, 03:47 PM   #5
SnapIT

Default I'm from Sweden...

Forgot to put that in my post... hehe

I cannot spell in Finnish, so please excuse any spelling errors when i say: Pärkele Nvidia drivers...
Old 06-11-03, 04:25 PM   #6
sammy

Quote:
Originally posted by SnapIT
The driver problem will never ever be fixed, rest assured...

Nvidias Linux contribution might seem nice, but it is really nothing other than a way for them to try out the OGL part of their drivers, that is why accel-mode has to be disabled to make them work right, this is pre-alpha drivers for OGL.. when we (the community) have tried them out and helped them enough, they will release the real drivers for Win32, we get the next portion of their pre-alpha...

That's quite a wild idea that nvidia is using us as a test subjects. I wouldn't say that much, however it is very clear that the driver has a quite poor quality and priorities for fixing the problems aren't that high on nvidia.

When I first send a bug report to nvidia about this problem, I got very soon response from nvdia employer. He said that he is unable to reproduce the problem. I send more detailed description and asked him to inform me if any progress or cure is found... I got no response since then.

After that, I tried nv driver. They work! Well, almost. the suspending display is not working on Flat panels. (3D does not work either, but it's not such an important feature for me). I can't do without suspending, so I sent a mail to nvidia and nv driver author offering my help (I am a professional programmer) to fix that problem if they provide me enough specs to get the suspend to work. I got a few BIOS routine call specifications, which was supposed to put the panel into sleep. However, I didn't find any way to make a real mode system call under linux kernel, so that was the end of it.

Impressive, you know some finnish. Actually that is the word I am thinking when my kernel crashes due to a nvidia drivers. =)
Old 06-11-03, 05:25 PM   #7
tspinillo

Default RE:1.0-4363, no help for kernel crash.

Sammy,

Why are you loading the free driver along with
the binary driver? I don't think you can mix them.

Good luck!

T

Section "Device"
Identifier "Nvidia Geforce MX460"
Driver "nv"
Option "FlatPanel" "yes"
Option "CrtcNumber" "1"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Gainward Nvidia Geforce MX460 (accelerated)"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"
Option "NoLogo"
Option "NvAGP" "0"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT, TV"
EndSection
tspinillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 06:16 PM   #8
SnapIT

Quote:
That's quite a wild idea that nvidia is using us as a test subjects. I wouldn't say that much, however it is very clear that the driver has a quite poor quality and priorities for fixing the problems aren't that high on nvidia.

When I first send a bug report to nvidia about this problem, I got very soon response from nvdia employer. He said that he is unable to reproduce the problem. I send more detailed description and asked him to inform me if any progress or cure is found... I got no response since then.

After that, I tried nv driver. They work! Well, almost. the suspending display is not working on Flat panels. (3D does not work either, but it's not such an important feature for me). I can't do without suspending, so I sent a mail to nvidia and nv driver author offering my help (I am a professional programmer) to fix that problem if they provide me enough specs to get the suspend to work. I got a few BIOS routine call specifications, which was supposed to put the panel into sleep. However, I didn't find any way to make a real mode system call under linux kernel, so that was the end of it.

Impressive, you know some finnish. Actually that is the word I am thinking when my kernel crashes due to a nvidia drivers. =)
*LOL* thank you, actually, the word for it in Swedish is "djävlar" but i like being a part of the international community so i just say ****ing stupid drivers...

I doubt i will be here for long, i will probably be banned because of my statements, but there will be a reverse engineering made by flashback, a swedish cyber anarchy mag also available in english that will prove my point so...

I am a professional programmer too, working on the offspring of MozillaFirebird (stupidest name i have ever heard) when it was phoenix i was involved, now my project will evolv into Crown.. and another project, featuring a live CD with Rock Linux, FluxBox and Crown... the rest, a simple interface will allow you to add packages as you please...

Are you into OS... that is what this is about... all open source...

Old 06-11-03, 06:21 PM   #9
SnapIT

Quote:
*LOL* thank you, actually, the word for it in Swedish is "djävlar" but i like being a part of the international community so i just say ****ing stupid drivers...

I doubt i will be here for long, i will probably be banned because of my statements, but there will be a reverse engineering made by flashback, a swedish cyber anarchy mag also available in english that will prove my point so...

I am a professional programmer too, working on the offspring of MozillaFirebird (stupidest name i have ever heard) when it was phoenix i was involved, now my project will evolv into Crown.. and another project, featuring a live CD with Rock Linux, FluxBox and Crown... the rest, a simple interface will allow you to add packages as you please...

Are you into OS... that is what this is about... all open source...
Add packages onto the cd with apt/get and/or rpm and/or tgz and/or compiled source from rock... of course...

Sorry for the incomplete reply...
Old 06-11-03, 06:31 PM   #10
SnapIT

Quote:

Shouldn't that tell you something, and Nvidia, when the OpenSource drivers work, but not their own pre-alpha drivers....

If Nvidia would pay attention to us, they wouldn't be dead in two years, but you know what, they will be, Nvidia is a rather strong company, if AMD drops them they will be lost, ATI are ahead of them, and from i know the dual ventures with both Intel and AMD are starting to annoy both Intel and AMD... so... maybe hopefully... these problems, and these cards will soon be a thing of the past...

Disclaimer: SnapIT as a company cannot take responsibilty for this posters comments or actions.
Old 06-13-03, 04:11 PM   #11
sammy

Default Re: RE:1.0-4363, no help for kernel crash.

Quote:
Originally posted by tspinillo
Sammy,

Why are you loading the free driver along with
the binary driver? I don't think you can mix them.

Good luck!

T

Section "Device"
Identifier "Nvidia Geforce MX460"
Driver "nv"
Option "FlatPanel" "yes"
Option "CrtcNumber" "1"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Gainward Nvidia Geforce MX460 (accelerated)"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"
Option "NoLogo"
Option "NvAGP" "0"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT, TV"
EndSection
That is a good point. It has never crossed my mind that this can cause any problems. However, the problem emerged with a driver update long time ago. That was before I had the nv driver section in my config.

I try to remove nv section and see if it helps.

Thanks for advise.
Old 06-13-03, 05:21 PM   #12
sammy

Quote:

Shouldn't that tell you something, and Nvidia, when the OpenSource drivers work, but not their own pre-alpha drivers....

If Nvidia would pay attention to us, they wouldn't be dead in two years, but you know what, they will be, Nvidia is a rather strong company, if AMD drops them they will be lost, ATI are ahead of them, and from i know the dual ventures with both Intel and AMD are starting to annoy both Intel and AMD... so... maybe hopefully... these problems, and these cards will soon be a thing of the past...

I think it would be wise for nvidia for listening all comments, especially the negative ones. Banning one voice don't make a good expression about the company.

If I am not mistaken the reverse engineering is perfectly legal, atleast in my country. So, I wish the best luck to flashback.

Nvidia's position is not so strong as it used to be. Nvidia should better know the reasons why their card is being bough or is not being bought. Reasons simply are: hardware, driver and prize.

The card has to be fast with newest features and it must also be stable. The stability is very important. Same goes true for drivers as well. Drivers must be known simply to work. Nvidia have had all the time to make their driver stable. Failing to do so gives not so good picture. Also the card prizes are quite high. (I know that nvidia is not making the cards directly)

It seems to me that now when their card is not anymore superior by hardware, nvidia have none of the succeeding factors. Ofcource the reputation is one factor, but it's fading real fast.

Actually the card hardware (speed and features) are not so important as one might think at first. The card can be sold if it is stable and people trust it to work well (good reputation). So a good driver is crusial thing.

It is a clear fact, that it would be an competitive edge for nvidia to have an open source drivers. More clearly, it is a big disadvantage them for not having OS drivers (I mean a driver, with a proper support for card features).

Why to choose nvidia card:
- hardware (maybe),
- prize (no, in my oppinion)
- driver (BIG NO).

If the driver was good, then it would make the difference when deciding whether to buy nvidia or not.

Well, I am not here to tell nvidia what to do. I am here only asking, please make my driver work (it has been several months or even a year, since I could restart X without kernel crashing).