Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-29-09, 07:34 PM   #1
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Velvet Assassin - Official Thread

In my continuing quest to buy every PC game released while I am unemployed, I got Velvet Assassin today. Surprisingly this is a Steam game and installs/verifies through Steam, though it does not say that anywhere on the box.

If you like Splinter Cell you will like this game, unless the WW2 setting bothers you. Graphics are decent... it has a lot of options, resolution, shaders, textures, AA and shadows... at max it runs around 60fps on my rig indoors, 40fps outdoors. It has vsynch forced though, which lowers my fps... forcing it off might work to raise fps.

Gameplay seems relatively smooth... the camera is a little sluggish, but the sensitivity setting helps. Controls are full customizable. "Morphine Mode" is about all that makes the gameplay different from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... it's a mode which allows you to move around and attack without being seen, even in broad daylight right in front of enemies...

Few screens:

I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 08:27 PM   #2
Destroy

Default Re: Velvet Assassin - Official Thread

Not bad looking game. Does she have any badass moves or attacks besides invisibility?

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 08:44 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Um steam says its not released...
Old 04-29-09, 08:50 PM   #4
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Not bad looking game. Does she have any badass moves or attacks besides invisibility?
So far only guns and knives... sneak attacks from behind with the click of LMB, like Chaos Theory, and then manual aiming. There is no melee so far. The "Morphine Mode" allows for a frontal assault, but still no melee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Um steam says its not released...
Not the first time the retail version beat the download version to the punch.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 04-29-09, 08:53 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
So far only guns and knives... sneak attacks from behind with the click of LMB, like Chaos Theory, and then manual aiming. There is no melee so far. The "Morphine Mode" allows for a frontal assault, but still no melee.

Not the first time the retail version beat the download version to the punch.
Yeah but the first time a retail version activated without problems... I mean Steam doesn't even have a date for it.
Old 04-29-09, 08:55 PM   #6
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah but the first time a retail version activated without problems... I mean Steam doesn't even have a date for it.
It is weird there is no date, but I know there's some sports game that activates through Steam and still cannot be purchased through Steam itself. Saint's Row 2 activated a couple days before it went on Steam as well.

I was kind of worried when the Steam activation screen popped up that it wouldn't activate, but it did.

Old 04-29-09, 10:01 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I like this game.

It's hard as hell and shows signs of a lower budget, but it's still good stealth action in WW2, with some nice graphics...

More pics:

Old 04-29-09, 11:28 PM   #8
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

just got it too, too tired to play much but i like it so far. plays good with m/kb and 360 controller

delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-09, 01:07 AM   #9
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I don't know... I had no hopes for it... but then I kind of got excited for it a little bit the other day since I knew it was close (probably just because I am craving a good stealth game at the moment.. WTH are you Hitman series?!)... but then I watched a trailer and I just didn't like the way it looked gameplay wise... just something about it seemed off... and it wasn't the terrible song they put in the trailer... I might eventually pick it up if I hear enough good things about it and it comes down in price.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 02:23 AM   #10
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Just played some more... this game is tough as nails! On normal! Maybe I am not sneaky enough...

Someone on the Steam forums compared this to Thief 3, which I guess is fair... I don't really remember that game too well.

I really wish you could disable V-Synch as it kills my fps and makes the movement sluggish... it also has motion blur, which I would kill if I could. No .ini options I could fine, and forcing v-synch off in nhancer doesn't work. Le sigh.

Old 04-30-09, 07:05 AM   #11
MaxFX
*BANNED*

Seems pretty okey and as I love everything Splinter Cell I surely will like this

But WTF are the devs thinking this days, not give you an option to disable V-sync is a joke. One can really hope that the PCG Alliance can and will do some frikking standard that all games will follow. It's just things like this that pisses off many Pc gamers myself included. if I should meet devs like this I would ***** slap them to the ground idiots!

WTF, are you joking Velvet, cant even disable motion blur. aargh to hell with this game then. I wont tuch it as I hate motion blur. one off the worst crap ever invented
MaxFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 07:45 AM   #12
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

This game is hard as hell. I cannot get past the two guys right in the beginning. It does remind me of thief you sit in wait then get busted every time you try to move lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote