Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-09, 04:03 PM   #13
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Velvet Assassin - Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
This game is hard as hell. I cannot get past the two guys right in the beginning. It does remind me of thief you sit in wait then get busted every time you try to move lol
If you think the beginning is hard, just wait...
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 10:47 PM   #14
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Forcing V-synch off for ALL applications works. Game plays much smoother with it off...

I'm on mission 4 of 12 now... took me about 3 hours. Game is great, I love it, and Splinter Cell fans will love it too. The graphics can at times be quite good, mostly the textures. Performance, with v-synch off, is great.

Gonna play this through to the end right away. Have more pics soon.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 04-30-09, 10:52 PM   #15
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I just picked up Chronicles of Rid**** DA today, seems to be the same kinda game, but I'm really joying CoR right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 12:23 AM   #16
LurkerLito

Rented it on the 360. Its fun. Kind of like splinter cell but kind of reminds me of tenchu cause of the sneak kills. I didn't find any areas that were difficult at all on normal mode so far but I didn't get to far today. It seems easy to just sneak behind everyone and kill them.

I might consider getting it for the PC. I looked for it on Steam's page but it didn't even list a price, just that it unlocks in 18 hours.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 07:05 AM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

One thing I like about this game is the enemies speak their native language (usually German). It adds to the immersion level of the game, which is already high because of the nice enviornments. The only real negative of this game now that I have removed v-synch is the general "old" feeling of the gameplay... there is really nothing here beyond Thief 3 or Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... and it doesn't feel more polished either. If you like those games and don't crave innovation though, I would definately advise a purchase.

Here are some shrunken pics of level 4, which is a night and foggy level. There is not much going on, as 90% of the game is sneaking in the shadows and surprising guards from behind. There was actually a cool action segment in a belltower at the end of level 3, but I forgot to take screens.

Old 05-01-09, 12:20 PM   #18
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Someone over at the [h] forums requested I do a little review of the game so heres what i wrote:

Here are my feelings on the game so far, as requested:

Basic stealth gameplay, done well though. Nothing groundbreaking but it covers all the bases of a modern stealth game. You can: sneak around (using shadows mainly for cover), use a disguise (must keep distance from guards), use a pistol, execute stealth kills, use morphine (picked up around the levels) to take out one guard from the front without him being able to react (slo mo), whistle to distract guards, shoot oil/barrels to ignite/explode guards, climb about different objects, etc... I find the game challenging, but this is due to the fact that once you're exposed, the guards quickly dispose of you with one or two shots (or a rifle butt). If you play carefully/patiently you can usually stay hidden and kill most enemies without too much trouble (as it should be imo). This system works nicely I feel as it realy gives you the motivation to stay hidden the entire game (not like in hitman or even splinter cell where you can easily kill enemies once discovered). Because of this the limited ammo you are given is important to conserve as it will be very useful when you get stuck in tight situations. The game plays out quite linearly, but honestly this is a nice change of pace when every other game that has come out in the last 3 years goes overboard trying to be "open world."

The game feels like a pc game: responsive controls, sufficient gfx options (except you will need to force vsync off if you don't want it - some say it makes the game feel unresponsive, but it feels smooth to me with it on), good enough textures, easy to navigate menus, etc. The game does use the checkpoint system for saving however, but the points are frequent enough that it shouldn't be a place for concern.

The graphics look nice, dynamic shadows look very good (as they should in a stealth game). Rest of game looks good enough for us gfx whores. It runs perfectly smooth for me on highest setting/4xaa/190x1200.

The story unfolds similar to in Blood Money where each level is a flashback, all loosely connected to one another. While I'm not exactly sure the details of the story, the game does a good job of setting the mood, most notably because of the excellent voice acting (esp for violette).

To summarize all that: the gameplay is solid but brings nothing new, it is not consolized in any way, the graphics are good (but not amazing), and the story/setting feels right. Bottom line: if you are a fan of the genre, you should enjoy this game.

Some screens (tried to capture gameplay elements more than taking nice shots - downsized from 1920x1200):

delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 03:57 PM   #19
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Is it true the game has no door or ladder climbing animations... It's just a black screen?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 04:05 PM   #20
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Is it true the game has no door or ladder climbing animations... It's just a black screen?
That's true, there's no climbing and opening door animations in Australlian version... her booty looks to hot that it's banned to look at for little Craingers.

Old 05-01-09, 04:16 PM   #21
crainger

::

I just want to package you, shrink wrap you and sell you in EB.
Old 05-01-09, 04:36 PM   #22
|MaguS|

No demo for the game right? Would like to give it a shot but don't want to put $50 down on a game I have no indication I would like or not.
Old 05-01-09, 04:37 PM   #23
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
::

I just want to package you, shrink wrap you and sell you in EB.
Wrong! My mother did it 20 years ago.

But guys come on we all know that playing Tomb Rider, Blood Rayne, Vampire Blood Lines it's all about moving your camera to zoom into bewbs and booty.. best way is to stand near the wall to get camera zoom or get climbing on the ladder.
Old 05-01-09, 04:50 PM   #24
crainger

Wow. 59USD on Steam! Lame for what appears to be a budget title. ::