Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-28-09, 06:48 PM   #1
Reenen

Default Starcraft unplayable on my nvidia - but works OK(ish) on Intel card

Hi,

My card is old, and crappy... Nvidia GeForce 5500 FX AGP 256mb.

Without it (on my Intel 910 card) I can play it. It is sometimes a bit choppy, but playable on the intel. But on the Nvidia it is impossible. 2 FPS about, I can't follow the mouse.

I have the Nvidia 173 drivers installed. I tried 180, but they are not meant for such an old card. (Oh, I had my woes!)...

Should I post my xorg.conf? (Going to try something now again)...

Regards,
-Reenen
Reenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 08:27 PM   #2
thefirstm

Default Re: Starcraft unplayable on my nvidia - but works OK(ish) on Intel card

I assume you are playing Starcraft in WINE? If you are, you should upgrade to the latest version and put the following string keys in the WINE registry (wine regedit) at this location: HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D.

DirectDrawRenderer "opengl"
RenderTargetLockMode "readtex"

Doing this should help your performance tremendously. Just make sure you are using a recent version of WINE.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 02:12 AM   #3
Reenen

I have noticed that the game does ok in windowed mode (not sure if switching to still portraits, and disabling color cycling had anything to do with that) this is when I have NO entries under Current User -> Software -> Wine -> Direct3d - I renamed it to Direct3d.old.

When adding those 2 settings to the registry the performance goes down significantly (< 5 FPS). The console gives the following output (playing with Direct3d.old I don't get these):
reenen@meche:/public/games/StarCraft$ wine StarCraft.exe
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f354,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:d3d_surface:read_from_framebuffer_texture >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glCopyTexSubImage2D @ surface.c / 1047
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_download_data >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glGetTexImage() @ surface.c / 217

My wine version is pretty recent :
wine-1.1.19

I am running Ubuntu 8.10
Old 04-29-09, 03:16 AM   #4
thefirstm

I thought you said the performance was already about 2 FPS? You might try eliminating the RenderTargetLockMode string and just using the other one.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 04:10 AM   #5
Reenen

When fullscreen, the performance is really bad. When windowed it's OK (I've switched off color cycling and animated portraits). The windowed performance with those settings however takes a knock (it also struggles in full screen with those settings).

The 640x480 full screen on my screen, if I click the "menu" button on my screen itself, it reports that it is in 1280x960, and not in 640x480. I dunno if it's the card or the monitor that's automatically scaling it x2 or not.

I'll test tonight... I'm at work on windows now.

Last edited by Reenen; 04-29-09 at 04:21 AM. Reason: added about testing without RenderTargetLockMode
Old 04-29-09, 04:48 PM   #6
Thunderbird

I wrote all this code and RenderTargetLockMode must be readtex. On GeforceFX (and other older Geforce) models we use GL_EXT_paletted_texture for 8bit rendering. There might have been regressions in this area which broke some stuff. Submit a bug report (bugs.winehq.org) and perform a regression test (read about that on wiki.winehq.org).
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 04:53 AM   #7
Reenen

If it's a regression, rather than an Nvidia driver issue, why would the Intel performance be better than the Nvidia?

I don't think it's a Wine regression, but then I'm only using wine for a short period now (about 2 months) so I wouldn't know if it used to work better or not.

I don't use the Git version at the moment, but I guess I could start to.
Old 04-30-09, 06:47 AM   #8
Thunderbird

By default (if you don't touch any of the registry keys) rendering of starcraft is a very inefficient operation. In short the game uses 8bit rendering which means that on a 24bit desktop all rendering commands need to be converted. I doubt it is really the videocard which is important as all of this is done in software. What matters a lot is the cpu being used and how much cache it has. On my old radeon 9000 based laptop (it uses a p-m 1.3GHz with 1MB cache) it was a lot faster in software than on a dual core x2 3800+ mainly due to cache (I tried different cards).

When running in opengl mode the readtex mode on geforce-geforcefx cards works differently then on which we use GL_ARB_fragment_program if it is available. The code is quite different and a regression might have happened as the code has changed a lot. E.g. try Wine 1.0.1 to see how it worked there.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote