Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-09, 11:15 AM   #1
d264
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11
Default single desktop with 2 different cards.

Having already one card, planned to add a second card and 2 more screens, but googling while found that should be possible, also found some points that add more confusion to how to setup it properly.

First issue is didn't find any information of how this does affect performance if the two cards are different. Asuming the 3d window isn't spanning multiple cards, is safe to assume that lower performance card (older one) won't affect/slow the newer one?

Second issue is a mix of xinerama and twinview, having read of issues with xinerama vs twinview, would be a good choice first use twinview to join screens on the same card, then xinerama to join both cards?

Also am asuming there should not be problem on setting all screens in horizontal desktop, then the outer screens are of one card, while at centre place of the other card.
d264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 03:39 PM   #2
xbobmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 191
Default Re: single desktop with 2 different cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d264 View Post
First issue is didn't find any information of how this does affect performance if the two cards are different. Asuming the 3d window isn't spanning multiple cards, is safe to assume that lower performance card (older one) won't affect/slow the newer one?
It should have minimal impact. Running something like glxgears that is swap-bound could cause it to slow down, but with real-world applications it shouldn't matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d264 View Post
Second issue is a mix of xinerama and twinview, having read of issues with xinerama vs twinview, would be a good choice first use twinview to join screens on the same card, then xinerama to join both cards?
That's the most efficient way to do it. One caveat is that the "Xinerma info" reported by the server will only show two monitors, so if your window manager is Xinerama-aware it will do things like maximize windows across both monitors in twinview instead of one. This can be overcome with some clever patching of the server, if you're into that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d264 View Post
Also am asuming there should not be problem on setting all screens in horizontal desktop, then the outer screens are of one card, while at centre place of the other card.
You won't be able to split up twinview screens that way; if you want to do that, you'll either need to make them all separate X screens or use twinview for the middle GPU and two separate X screens for the outer GPU for a total of three X screens (beneath Xinerama's one virtual X screen).
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 05:15 PM   #3
d264
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11
Default Re: single desktop with 2 different cards.

Knowing there is a possibility to patch the server might give a try the twinview option, which seems might have better performance.

Thanks for the explanation, all is clear now.
d264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Best Virtual Desktop: NVIDIA VGX & Windows RemoteFX News Archived News Items 0 06-13-12 10:30 AM
OpenGL apps crashing in NVIDIA driver when switching desktop dinosaur NVIDIA Linux 0 06-01-12 07:09 PM
2 Video Cards -- Disable Open GL on single? amites NVIDIA Linux 5 05-30-12 03:51 PM
UT 2003 single player setup error HunterA3 NVIDIA Linux 6 10-07-02 12:14 AM
3DNA 3d desktop prydah General Software 2 08-01-02 10:59 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.