Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-09, 08:50 PM   #85
turdhat

Default Re: Street Fighter 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
does it come with some USB wireless adapter?
Yes.

The review is 3 stars. I give it 4.5. of 5.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Street-Fi...owViewpoints=1
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 02:15 PM   #86
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Well my store finally got it today (which rocks cause it had no chance of arriving sat or sunday) and I've been playing it for about 4 hours now. I wouldnt say I am a hard core sf2 player, but I have been playing it since it came out in the arcades, and make a habit of breaking out ssf2t and sfa3 (imo the best of the franchise up to then) on the emulators every couple of times a month. I am a pretty average fighting gameer, I can usualy beat the games with several characters on the default medium settings (Actually I can probably go higher, but like all fighting games, the end boss is allways a cheap mofo that requires alot more luck..err skill I mean).

Quite frankly im speechless...I have to agree with the meta critics ratings, this is the best street fighter game to date. The graphics are awesome, and while sure the character models arn't super detailed, they cover just enough to include all the details needed, plenty of moving articles (the cloth and other physics based articles are some of the most smoothly animated I have ever seen), and the animation is exquisite. The sound track rocks all around (I think sfa3 had a great sound track but SF3 bombed it with a mostly techno grundge oriented soundtrack) offering new and remixed themes. Also it seems everyone's theme is available remixed at some point in the game (sakura and ryu's rival bout has a different track then what the stage is supposed to have).

Stages are no longer tied to characters (no more world map either) and half are redone classics while others are totally new. There are a number of stages that are simply time of day alterations, but they do a good job of changing out people, and redesigning set placements. I believe the reason for this ugly shortcut is because these were new stages introduced for the console versions to go along with the wealth of new characters introduced, and the arcade probably didn't have these duplicated stages. Stages are overall done very well, and are in the style of the classic stages rather then the tournament/crowd style stages of KOF, and the amazing vista style backdrops of SC.

All the best fighters of the AF2 series are represented here (I do kinda miss dj) although none from the alpha inspired spin off except for rose who is revealed to have more of a relationship to bisons powers now. The new characters arn't bad, viper really stands out while abel is easily the sore thumb of the bunch. Rofus and his fat ass isn't the most pleasant thing to look at but his fighting style and pompous attitude are hard to hate, putting him above abel.

Now for the control, I absolutely love it. I am using the xbox 360 controller (analog thumb stick, not dpad) and pulling off moves is easier then the 2d games. The game is much more forgiving in movements, and the 3d fluid movement of the characters make pulling off the movements more natural. Also all the new characters rely mostly on the usual half moon joystick rotations which are pretty basic, no silly 360's like a certain wrestler has. I havnt had to use any macroing of buttons, I put my light and hard hits on the face, and the medium punch and kicks on the right triggers for strategic hits and ultras.

The power up system has again been revamped, but only for the better. SFA3 offered great variety but may have been confusing for some with the A-S-V choices in power up meters and SF3 just made things harder by combing things and introducing parrying. SF4 has essentially 2 meters, 1 does 3 things and the other does 1. The blue combo meter and its segments allows you to pull off some "powered up specials" (generally, its a special move in which you can absorb one hit without getting damaged or interrupted, and if the special move hits it can knock the person off his feet. Both of these are available depending on how many segments of the combo bar you choose to use). A full blue combo bar can be turned into a super powered up special move. The combo bar persist between rounds so you don't have to blow it right away. The circular ultra meter on the other hand can fill up quickly, but it resets to zero between rounds and when its half full you can pull off your one ultra move which is the zanny close up ass kickings you see in all the screen shots.

Any negatives? Only 1, maybe 2 but only because of 1. Seth, the final boss in the game, is generaly 2 skill levels higher then the other fighters. His moves are super powered, and 2 of his ground based specials (one being his ultra) are unblock able and it dosn't matter what your distance is from him. The 2nd issue is a major problem because of the first, unlocking many of the characters (it looks like we will need to wait for DLC to get the new costumes that the consoles get, or atleast a hack) requires beating the game with others, and that means beating seth. I have no problem getting to seth on one quarter on medium mode, but I have only managed to beat him on the very easiest setting, and even then it may take a few quarters (My first and only one shot with seth was with sakura). Meanwhile the rest of the game is cake and unfun on the easiest setting, on the other hand it has allowed me to refine pulling off combos and special moves. But seriously, there is a very in-depth training mode for that already.

There is no mouse input in the game, but then its a fighting game, only basic input is required. There are plenty of settings to play with though. As seen in the benchmark (which is also in the full game, which means that the benchmark was not created separately, but instead ripped out of the original, final game) there are lots of video options, mainly shader quality settings. There is not much they can do about model details settings because the game is already using optical illusions and tricks at reducing polygon counts on distant objects. Audio wise you have volume levels for many aspects of the game, including 2 basic english/japanese settings for ingame voices and the crappy anime cut scene tracks. However after winning a game, you unlock the ability to choose jap/english in game voices on a per character bases which is much better. Alot of the characters are japanese based and should remain speaking japanese, while most of them are english or well represented in english (cammy, zangief, rose). That said, I suggest leaving blanka on japanese. He should be incapable of speaking either languages, but he has a much lower growl on the japanese settings.
Old 07-03-09, 02:37 PM   #87
JohnDio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
Seth, the final boss in the game, is generaly 2 skill levels higher then the other fighters. His moves are super powered, and 2 of his ground based specials (one being his ultra) are unblock able and it dosn't matter what your distance is from him.
When he is about to do his ultra, jump in the air to avoid it
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 02:57 PM   #88
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Ive had him actually pull me into his ultra when I am technically in the air (but not high). :/
Old 07-03-09, 05:55 PM   #89
|MaguS|

SF2 > SF4

Not saying it's bad but it still can't top it's perfection. There's a reason tournaments are still held using SF2.
Old 07-03-09, 06:02 PM   #90
GitDat

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
SF2 > SF4

Not saying it's bad but it still can't top it's perfection. There's a reason tournaments are still held using SF2.
Yeah, at least in SF2 someone couldn't keep jumping REPEATEDLY without getting punished. That's one of the main things I hate about SF4. Jumping idiots everywhere. Especially after a couple crouching jabs.. JUMP, nyuk, nyuk lol

It's because the jump doesn't travel very far like in SF2 so they can get away with it a ton more.
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround«
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 06:20 PM   #91
JohnDio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitDat View Post
Yeah, at least in SF2 someone couldn't keep jumping REPEATEDLY without getting punished. That's one of the main things I hate about SF4. Jumping idiots everywhere. Especially after a couple crouching jabs.. JUMP, nyuk, nyuk lol

It's because the jump doesn't travel very far like in SF2 so they can get away with it a ton more.
If he is in the air do a shoryuken (or with Guile a Sonic Boom or with Blanka the electricity)... or duck and press HP at the right time. There are ways to punish those "jumping idiots"
Old 07-03-09, 06:25 PM   #92
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

You mean a Guile flash kick? I LOL at people silly enough to jump when Guile is crouching.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-09, 06:30 PM   #93
JohnDio

If with Guile you are away, you can keep pressing back+down and the other might think that you are simply waiting for a flash kick. So there is a possibility that he will jump (away from you) to make you do it, regardless of the distance.

Instead though, when he is in the air press forward+punch and voila. A Sonic Boom that he didn't expect and will hit him. Now when you duck next time he won't know what you will do
Old 07-03-09, 06:36 PM   #94
GitDat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio View Post
If he is in the air do a shoryuken (or with Guile a Sonic Boom or with Blanka the electricity)... or duck and press HP at the right time. There are ways to punish those "jumping idiots"
Doesn't work after they crouching jab into a jump. Even if you're expecting it. Shoryuken or crouching HP will just wiff
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround«
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 01:22 AM   #95
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

What SF2 tournaments? 0_o

I seriously doubt that... no..I most definetly doubt that... SF2 has been eclipsed by SSF2T, which has been eclipsed by SFA3.

And seriously... jumping?! You don't know how to counter people who jump in a game that does not have air blocking?! Do you suck that bad? -_-

I think SF4 > SF2.. if only because it is SF2 with updated graphics, and new moves/better balance.
Old 07-04-09, 03:10 AM   #96
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

You haven't seen the SF2 tournaments? FAIL?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote