Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-29-09, 11:06 PM   #1
udippel

Default IGP 8300 freezes with 177 and 180 on ubuntu

(I hope this is the correct forum for bug reports, I didn't find another one)

The subject says it: I have been having freezes with Ubuntu 8.10 (stock driver, 177 or 178?); and identically the same with 9.04 and 180. Mouse and keyboard stop reacting, the screen content doesn't change.
But when logging in through ssh, everything is fine; I can shut down the machine cleanly.
It is remarkable, that the screen content doesn't change until the power is gone; so all those log out screens, shut down, the Ubuntu thermometer, all this is not visible, but the last, frozen, state of the screen; until the power is actually off. It looks pretty much like a problem updating the frame memory.

I have attached the log FYI. I am running stock Ubuntu, stock kernel, stock NVIDIA-driver, and have tried all updates of the BIOS.
And I have tried everything suggested in that post on stability: pci=nommconf (yes, it did 'help' and "PCI: Using MMCONF" did not show any longer, but it didn't help with stability); as well as idle=poll and maxcpus=1. To no avail. I could barely run the nvidia-bug-report.log before the next freeze occurred. Then I plugged back the venerable GF6200 Turbo, and now everything works fine.
Since I bought the mainboard explicitly for the IGP, and its low power consumption, to save energy, it doesn't serve much of a purpose here; at least for now I consider it a complete waste of time and money. Personally, I am in no position to sue NVIDIA, but I wouldn't mind at all if someone did big style; for selling a chipset, and not providing a workable driver with it.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (31.6 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by udippel; 04-29-09 at 11:13 PM. Reason: (edited to add the info about nommconf, poll and maxcpus)
udippel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 11:19 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: IGP 8300 freezes with 177 and 180 on ubuntu

Is this bug report from after a freeze, before you shut down the system? If not, please get one of those, which you should be able to do over SSH.

When the display is frozen, can you attach to the X server with GDB and get a backtrace? "gdb /usr/bin/Xorg `pidof X`" should attach and then just run the "backtrace" command and paste the output here. Also, there are some messages in your system log from the vboxdrv driver doing some slightly shady things with interrupts. Does the hang still occur if you disable VirtualBox?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 11:37 PM   #3
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Is this bug report from after a freeze, before you shut down the system? If not, please get one of those, which you should be able to do over SSH.

When the display is frozen, can you attach to the X server with GDB and get a backtrace? "gdb /usr/bin/Xorg `pidof X`" should attach and then just run the "backtrace" command and paste the output here. Also, there are some messages in your system log from the vboxdrv driver doing some slightly shady things with interrupts. Does the hang still occur if you disable VirtualBox?
I'll try doing that once I have the time (removing 6200, getting another PC next to it, etc.)

To answer your questions right away:
It is a report before the freeze as of now.
The freezes occurred long before I added VirtualBox. Now, after plugging back 6200, everything is hunky dory; including VirtualBox; just plugging 6200 in and out makes all the difference. So much for now.
Old 04-29-09, 11:42 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to rule that out. While you're at it, please also try 180.53 and 185.18.04. Both contain fixes for a memory management problem that affects Compiz.

When you say, "mouse and keyboard stop reacting", do you mean that the mouse pointer stops moving entirely, or does the pointer continue to move and your applications are just unresponsive?
Old 04-30-09, 12:26 AM   #5
Qwerted

I had the same problem with this IGP, but new beta driver solved it. Hope it will help you
Old 04-30-09, 12:35 AM   #6
udippel

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I just wanted to rule that out. While you're at it, please also try 180.53 and 185.18.04. Both contain fixes for a memory management problem that affects Compiz.

When you say, "mouse and keyboard stop reacting", do you mean that the mouse pointer stops moving entirely, or does the pointer continue to move and your applications are just unresponsive?
Hmm. I wonder if I really want to mess up my new beautiful install of 9.04 with all sorts of beta-drivers?
Whatever, later I'll try first to ssh into an unresponsive system (at times, it takes two minutes, at times several hours to become unresponsive). The other question is undecided. Before, the mouse was moving, but didn't do anything. Usually the keyboard does nothing (Ctrl-Alt-Del); but once it did take one 'Enter'. This morning, with those options as above, in one case it stopped moving altogether. Though I think there is no strict pattern in the behaviour. One way or another it stops updating screen content.
I might add, that exactly the same works beautifully on 7050 as well, both versions of ubuntu; I was just plugging the drive into another box. Also, I ran the memtest; and though it went through, I took out the RAM and inserted another set. So the last chance would be a problem of the CPU (I don't think so, since the 6200 works without problems, or the ASUS mainboard (there are some posters with the identical mainboard and the identical problem, the M3N78 PRO).
Additionally, I can kind of exclude Linux: I had a similar behaviour with OpenSolaris' Nevada (nv_110, nv_111, nv_112) as dual-boot.
So, no more pointing fingers, except at yourself!
Old 04-30-09, 12:52 AM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

You can always downgrade the driver later. Also, if you're uncomfortable with beta and prerelease drivers, 180.51 is the current official release and also contains the fix I was talking about.
Old 04-30-09, 01:19 AM   #8
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerted View Post
I had the same problem with this IGP, but new beta driver solved it. Hope it will help you
This sounds really good!! Question: Which one is the one?? Can you give me the number, please?

Uwe

Old 04-30-09, 06:10 AM   #9
udippel

Quote:

I stand corrected. Loaded 180.51, working perfectly well with 6200, then unplugged the 6200, and 8300 came up - to crash at the rotation of the mouse waiting indicator. After reboot, I ssh-ed into it, and when it crashed again, the ssh session was just as dead. Meaning, that the state is, contrary to what I had mentioned above, completely undefined and unpredictable.

I am now back on 6200, waiting for ASUS and NVIDIA to replace my expenditure (generously I consider my time as 'free') by swapping it with a mainboard with an IGP that actually works, with compiz, on Linux. The dealer won't take it back, I guess, because it will run XP/Vista.

Uwe
Old 05-05-09, 03:09 AM   #10
udippel

Here I could provoke stability problems with the very latest driver (185.18.08) and my trusted old 6200 card; when the BIOS was set to PnP: 'No'; because the IRQ was shared. Then I set the BIOS to PnP: 'Yes', and I got a standalone interrupt:

15: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge pata_amd
16: 22 8399 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia
19: 0 3 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci1394
20: 25 4143 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3
21: 9 2446 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, HDA Intel

and no more stability problems at all. Then I rebooted, removed the 6200. Alas, whatever I do now in the BIOS, I get shared interrupt for nvidia, and stability problems at once:

15: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge pata_amd
19: 0 2 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci1394
20: 2 393 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3, nvidia
21: 2 2468 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, HDA Intel
22: 9 1295 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1

Aside of the nvidia, the interrupts remain the same. And IRQ 20 happens to be the mouse, and nvidia doesn't seem to like that at all.
So the question remains, how to get nvidia to use a free interrupt (like 16 in the earlier case)?

Uwe
Old 05-05-09, 05:24 AM   #11
Qwerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by udippel View Post
This sounds really good!! Question: Which one is the one?? Can you give me the number, please?

Uwe
185.19. But 185.18.08 is newer so you might want to try it
Old 05-06-09, 07:15 PM   #12
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerted View Post
185.19. But 185.18.08 is newer so you might want to try it
Tried. No change.
Really, someone should refund/exchange the board. When you go through the forum, a good number is on the Asus, and many on the M3N78 PRO. I already wrote to Asus w.r.t. my problems, but in effect their answer was 'no chance'.

My other system is a Biostar (cough-cough) TF-7050, and it runs absolutely beautiful and stable; including sharing interrupts for nvidia and all (agreed, it needed a BIOS-flash). It runs for weeks without any segfault nor crash. This is why I bought the Asus: I wanted something even better. Alas, what I have now is crap. If someone wants to swap, I'll swap anytime and throw in a drink, nevermind the Asus was some 30$ more expensive.
Since it seems neither Nvidia nor Asus are willing to actually concede that there is a problem at combining both their products, as of now I can only discourage buying either.