Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-09, 07:44 AM   #13
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Default Re: 200 Reasons to Love PC Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
So how many games on the Xbox actually run at 1080P
Some games are 720p upsampled to 1080p, some are 1080p native. But it does not matter when sitting 3-4 meters from your TV... With console you do not care that much about graphical details as with PC, when you usually sit like 60 cm from your monitor and see all the tearing and stuttering and bad antialiasing.

What matters is "big picture", "big sound" and "ease of use". You can get first two for PCs as well, but most people definitely don't, having only 24-30" LCDs and primitive PC speakers for gaming, not big FullHD TVs and great sound.

And you never get "ease of use" with PC. You have to update NVIDIA drivers weekly, you have to download patches, and more patches, before playing, or even hunt for NOCD cracks for your newly purchased game, as Vista x64 can be picky for some games (and their 32bit drivers).

Having about 2 hours per week for playing, I do not want to spend time on patching and reinstalling drivers.

Does that make sense?
Old 05-04-09, 08:43 AM   #14
fizzelopeguss

Current gen consoles are frankly laughable, this whole gen has been a p!sstake. Sub hd resolutions, piss poor framerates just on the technical side. Laggy ass p2p multiplayer from the 360 side, takes a minute to "matchmake" a game for you, and when it does the host leaves so you gotta do it all over again. And you actually have the pleasure of paying for that ****.

Quote:
f you say "Steam", I say "Xbox Live", which is much better.
This is false, for buying games although they're both filled with shovelware steam has retail titles that are actually worth a damn, now if you had said PSN you might of had a point as their games look pretty decent.

Quote:
"updating drivers, downloading patches, and then some more patches"
Lulz, buy cod or killzone and the first damn thing you're asked...forced to do even is download a patch. Ditto for firmwares.

Quote:
With console you do not care that much about graphical details as with PC
Roughly translated to "when i game on my console i have lower standards" that's fair enough, but you're on a game and tech enthusiast site, so be prepared for a little backlash.

Quote:
when you usually sit like 60 cm from your monitor and see all the tearing and stuttering and bad antialiasing.
Bollocks, the upscaled clusterf*ck that is current console games ensures that unless the IQ settings are immaculate in that title you'll get a sh!tload of texture shimmering and aliasing. As for tearing this gen is notorious for it, the problem for consoles is that you're stuck with that crap, PC users have the choice to vsnc that b!tch into submission. This is one of the reasons that unless the port is a complete disaster, i now get all my multiplatforms on the pc. The other reason being the games are a heck of a lot cheaper.

Quote:
You have to update NVIDIA drivers weekly
Since when has nvidia released drivers weekly, unless you're talking about the beta drivers, which i guess explains why you're having so many troubles with your pc games that you to "download patches and patches before playing"

Completely moronic thing to say, do you flash your bios every fortnight too?

The best thing about this gen is that through the 360 the PC pretty much now has a standardised gamepad.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:03 AM   #15
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

What's the point of this thread, aside from being yet another circle jerk for the PC elitists?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 11:21 AM   #16
evox
:3

lolololol, someone change Saturn's diaper.
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 12:01 PM   #17
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
Whatever :-) I still prefer Xbox 360 over my high-end PC anytime..

If you say "Steam", I say "Xbox Live", which is much better. If you say "High definition Gaming" on 30", I say "High definition Gaming" on 50"! If you say "updating drivers, downloading patches, and then some more patches", I say "hassle free gaming and automatic updates for all your games". If you say "Tages, SecuROM, StartForce and other forms of DRM which make your PC unstable", I say "WHAT?!". If you say "Logitech PC speakers" and Creative X-Fi, I say "excellent Acoustic Energy 5.1 setup w/ Onkyo receiver", and so on...
you are completly clueless.

1) Xbox Live is complete trash compared to Steam.
A) can you buy brand new releases? no
B) can you login from anywhere, download the game, and play? no
C) can you re-download millions times? yes
D) can you play with out CD/DVD? no
E) are you being charged monthly to use Steam? no

2) HD gamming on Console?
A) consoles can't even render 1080p most games, only few actually 2-5% of games are 1080p
B) most games are 720p, or less
C) and about screen sizes, let me remind you again, there are these magic things called cables, that allow you to plug in a PC to HDTV.
3) Hassle free gaming, maybe. But if you have half a brain, you will be fine. Btw, hassle free till you get RROD, on worlds most unreliable electronic device
4) DRM, again, are you kidding? Xbox PS3 is full of DRM. What do you think prevents people from copying games. IT IS DRM. What you think decides how long you can watch a movie. IT IS DRM. Or how many times you can download a movie? IT IS DRM. What prevents you from moving some save games from xbox to xbox? IT IS DRM

5) speakers? Let me clue you in again. ****ING CABLES!!
Old 05-04-09, 12:04 PM   #18
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by evox View Post
Honestly, was expecting a bit more creative. But given its 200 reasons, the author had to stretch the legs badly. All these can be simplified in few bullets like Free DLC, Total control, better audio/visuals and much better multiplayer.
yeah, it is a bit stretched, a bit humorous.
Old 05-04-09, 12:18 PM   #19
fizzelopeguss

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
What's the point of this thread, aside from being yet another circle jerk for the PC elitists?
Heaven forbid someone makes a positive post about PC gaming, on a PC games section of a Computer hardware enthusiast site.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 12:19 PM   #20
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
Heaven forbid someone makes a positive post about PC gaming, on a PC games section of a Computer hardware enthusiast site.
i know, everyone praise the little plastic box

Old 05-04-09, 01:25 PM   #21
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

L4D...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 01:56 PM   #22
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
you are completly clueless.
Maybe. Or maybe I have just grown up.

As for your comment - yes, you can connect big TV to your PC. Yes, you can also connect receiver and big 5.1 speakers to your Creative X-Fi card.

But most people don't do it.

Most people have big TVs and great speakers only in their HT setup, so playing on console in their living room, sitting on sofa (with friends), gives them better overall experience.

PC gaming is usually a pretty lonely experience with primitive Logitech speakers and 20" LCD screen.

Good for some, but not for me.

In some areas you completely miss the point - like with DRM. I do not care about DRM on Xbox, as it does not make my work PC (I work as a SW developer) unstable. SecuROM, StarForce, Tages and others might.

I think people who prefer PC over console mostly:

- cannot afford both (PC and console gaming setups)
- cannot afford to buy big TVs
- like to steal games (which is way harder on consoles, so they stick with PCs)
Old 05-04-09, 02:21 PM   #23
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

1) have both, PC and RROD_Box
2) have two big HDTVs
3) stealing games on RROD_Box is very simply, visit xbox-scene

again wrong, another good point stop trying to start flame wars, there is a section for your needs right here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44
Old 05-04-09, 02:30 PM   #24
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
I think people who prefer PC over console mostly:

- cannot afford both (PC and console gaming setups)
- cannot afford to buy big TVs
- like to steal games (which is way harder on consoles, so they stick with PCs)
Oh please.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote