Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-09, 02:37 PM   #1
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Why DLC is the Future...

Call of Duty: World at War's first map-pack sold two freakin' million copies already.

At $10, that's twenty million dollars... for a map pack...

Games for Windows Live! and Steam selling DLC is pretty much required now if PC gamers want to keep playing games like these on PC. Developers are not going to ignore that kind of profit and sales from a simple map pack.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 02:50 PM   #2
jkmetal

Default Re: Why DLC is the Future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Call of Duty: World at War's first map-pack sold two freakin' million copies already.

At $10, that's twenty million dollars... for a map pack...

Games for Windows Live! and Steam selling DLC is pretty much required now if PC gamers want to keep playing games like these on PC. Developers are not going to ignore that kind of profit and sales from a simple map pack.
IF DLC is the future, the future of gaming if ****ed. Today's fiasco with the Fallout 3 DLC is a prime example of this. The whole thing has been ****ed.
Old 05-05-09, 02:50 PM   #3
|MaguS|

As long as the original product isn't hurt by the inclusion of DLC, I don't mind. If we start getting MP games with 4 Maps so that they can release map packs every month then I will start getting annoyed.
Old 05-05-09, 02:53 PM   #4
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
As long as the original product isn't hurt by the inclusion of DLC, I don't mind. If we start getting MP games with 4 Maps so that they can release map packs every month then I will start getting annoyed.
Oblivion is the only culprit with DLC like this that I have played... that locked door to the Orrey that only unlocks when you buy it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 05-05-09, 02:59 PM   #5
ViN86

I think if they want to make DLC a must, they should at least lower the game prices a little to offset the cost. I think they would see total sales rise as a result as well.

Instead of $50 for a game, lower it to $40 then charge $10-$15 for DLC 6-12 months later. They would make $5 more per copy and probably sell more as more people would be inclined to buy the game at a lower price.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 03:03 PM   #6
CaptNKILL
CUBE

As long as they don't abuse this, I think its alright.

It takes a lot of time to make detailed and well-tested levels these days. They should be getting paid for their work. I'd say 20 million dollars is pretty decent...

Like MaguS said, this is only bad if we're over charged for less content and then charged again later for additional content that we should have had from the beginning.

EDIT: I agree with Vin. If they drop game prices and charge for additional content everyone would benefit.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 03:11 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
It takes a lot of time to make detailed and well-tested levels these days.
You think so? I wonder how many resources it really took to make 4 maps... I know production costs are high these days, but... I wonder how large the team was.

The profit margin on DLC might be higher than the main game! Not the overall profit mind you, just the percentage.

Old 05-05-09, 03:11 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Dropping the price and then expecting DLC would make them remove content and use that as DLC. Keep the prices the same provide us a complete experiance and add extras through DLC.

Burnout did it great with the free and paid DLC for the most part.

Old 05-05-09, 03:12 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
As long as they don't abuse this, I think its alright.

It takes a lot of time to make detailed and well-tested levels these days. They should be getting paid for their work. I'd say 20 million dollars is pretty decent...

Like MaguS said, this is only bad if we're over charged for less content and then charged again later for additional content that we should have had from the beginning.

EDIT: I agree with Vin. If they drop game prices and charge for additional content everyone would benefit.
To be honest, I don't think it's incredibly difficult to make maps. Remember the old Quake 3 days? What about CS:S? If people are given the right tools, they themselves can create some very detailed and innovative maps.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 03:48 PM   #10
ST:DS9

After was Valve has said. If Call of Duty: World at War was sold for $15 withe same amount of content, then they would have sold a lot more and had a lot more profit then selling at $50. That means they would have a much larger customer base for the DLC, and would have made more then 20 Mill.

Really, the industry is over charging us on games, and they stand to make a much larger profit if they cut the prices considerably. And with DLC becoming popular, it would be in their best interest to increase their base by selling the original game for much cheaper, but with the same amount of content as before.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 03:55 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9 View Post
After was Valve has said.
Wait... your listening to a company that released L4D at FULL ($50) price with less content then most games which then they change the gameplay over and over because after 2 years of development they just now found the exploits or dislike how gamers play the game.

I like valve, and I like their games but the company is often full of **** and change stances more often then crainger changes his underwear.
Old 05-05-09, 04:00 PM   #12
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Wait... your listening to a company that released L4D at FULL ($50) price with less content then most games which then they change the gameplay over and over because after 2 years of development they just now found the exploits or dislike how gamers play the game.

I like valve, and I like their games but the company is often full of **** and change stances more often then crainger changes his underwear.
They don't charge for DLC though.

And fwiw, L4D with less content than most games has more replayability than pretty much all games out there right now.

Also, exploits exist in most games, Valve regulates its games and the biggest exploits that are submitted to the devs are fixed in a relatively timely manner.

Remember, they released the Orange Box which, in my opinion, is the greatest value in gaming, even today.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote