Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-09, 07:07 PM   #1
MarioHDTV

Default S-video tv Linux 8400GS oversized

HI there a big problem with the linux driver for the S-video out on a 8400GS video card.
I try ubuntu 9.04 with the 1.8 and the 1.7 nvidea driver.

The X terminal screen on tv is oversized and i lost about 2 inch all around the screen so i cant see top windows menu.
This problem is withe the nvidea linux driver. When i remoove these driver i can run in low graphic mode on s-video but without the oversized

I read a lot of post for this problem since 2006 is there a way to repaire this faulty driver or its better to buy an ati card :?

Before i buy this card i think it was the best one but now i'm very disapoint.

thanks.
MarioHDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 10:16 AM   #2
mathog

Default Re: S-video tv Linux 8400GS oversized

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioHDTV View Post
The X terminal screen on tv is oversized and i lost about 2 inch all around the screen so i cant see top windows menu.
There is an overscan problem, so far uncorrectable in the driver. However, most TVs have a setup menu, or maintenance menu, which will let you adjust the overscan. (Cafeful, one can really mess up a TV by setting the wrong things in this mode!) In my case, since the TV-OUT (NTSC, component) is only used for MythTV, the size and placement were adjusted in the Myth menus, and that has worked out well enough.

Your overscan sounds worse than mine though, and since I have an 8400GS card too, I think probably your TV is set to overscan more than mine.
mathog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 07:46 PM   #3
MarioHDTV

Thanks

BUt I dont understand why a big compagnie like nvidia cant resolve this error on there driver.

Thay dont have the knowlegde ? the dont try ? linux user are only small money for her ? very disapointing.....

If i know this problem before i certainly dont buy this card I will buy a radeon card.
I hope every user with this problem will published this problem and they will loose some costomer.

A nvidia disapointed user......
MarioHDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 10:37 AM   #4
mathog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioHDTV View Post
If i know this problem before i certainly dont buy this card I will buy a radeon card.
That would be a big mistake. I tried really hard for a long time to make the Radeon hardware on my motherboard do component TV-OUT, and was never able to accomplish it. S-video was possible though, and if that is all you need, well. Let's just say that ATI's linux issues are generally a lot bigger than Nvidia's. Plus VDPAU is wonderful at offloading the CPU for video processing. Keep in mind too that TV-OUT is not something most people need anymore - they have DVI, HDMI, or even VGA inputs on the their TVs, and so TV-OUT has a very low development priority.
mathog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:24 PM   #5
tammer

I've had this same problem for months (with a 8400 GS and TVOUT). Through periodic googling, I've found dozens of users with this problem. Some people have offered possible work-arounds, but no straightforward solution exists.

Nvidia, please get this feature working!
tammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 02:07 PM   #6
zzztownsend

I've posted on this before but no luck.

I have also seen a reply from nvidia suggesting that to fix the problem they would have to implement an over/underscan/zoom feature which would be a lot of work. I don't think this is necessary. Using the open source vesa driver (limited to 600x900 at rubbish update frequency) there is no 'oversized' problem. Working from the console and at POST there is also no problem. It only happens when the nvidia proprietry driver is started up.

This seems to be simply the wrong values in a lookup table for whatever the nvidia equivalent of modelines is. Closed source so we're dependent on the nvidia guys having a look

I'm in UK system using PAL-I. It may help nvidia if you state where in the world you are - which tv/video system you use

Please Nvidia - take a look at this for us - it's affecting everyone using 8xxx series and upwards, using the SVIDEO out on linux. I'm sure it is a straightforward video mode problem, not something that needs a lot of work.

Thanks

Matt
zzztownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 05:39 PM   #7
Jellygoose

it seems that everyone with a 8X00 card has this problem with s-video tv-out (just do a google search ).

is this problem even recognized?
Jellygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 01:13 AM   #8
brianbloom

I am suffering the exact same symptoms but without using TV Out. Running Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 on a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard with integrated nvidia GeForce 9400 proc on HDMI.
When I used the default (non-nvidia drivers) I have no problems and get full screen with top and bottom menu bars.
When I use the Nvidia proprietary drivers, the screen is effectively zoomed to like 110% and I lose the top and bottom menu bars.
I have tried the 173, 180, and 185 version drivers - all do the same thing.
I have tried over both HDMI-HDMI and DVI->HDMI and get same thing. I don't have S-Video or TV OUT options.
The X server settings claim it's running at 1280 x 1024 but it's still not fitting on the screen.

I go back to using the default drivers and the screen returns to normal size.
BIOS bootup screens are fine under both. It just seems to be the graphical desktop when Ubuntu launches that has the problem.

I don't think it's *just* an overscan issue because I also notice that on my Ubuntu login screen, when I type my name and passwords in when using the nvidia drivers they are displayed in a *huge* font, bigger that fits in those fields. All you see is the middle of the very large letters. So it appears to be choosing a bad font rendering size for this section too.

Anyway, I did a lot of research upfront, spent a lot of money, and built this machine to be a HTPC and if I can't even get a usable screen using the latest drivers and latest linux on modern hardware, I'm frankly disappointed and will go back to using a DVD player and other settop boxes since they "just work". I had hoped to make use of this mythical VDPAU technology but maybe it's simply not ready for primetime yet.

If anyone knows *any* tips for this, please help. I'm rather frustrated at this point.
brianbloom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-09, 12:57 AM   #9
darthnasty

I have this same overscan problem with an 8400GS card and a Sony TV through the component TV out using Ubuntu 9.04. In the desktop I cannot see the menu, and the edges of the TV image are cut off.

Also the driver only allows me 720x480 (NTSC) instead of 720x576 (PAL) even though I have set the video mode to PAL. The image looks otherwise OK apart from the overscanning.

Anything I do via x.org or mythtv adjustments makes it worse, and it's not the TV doing it because when I set the mode to widescreen (which squashes the whole image into a squatter shape, but preserves the vertical resolution) I still get the edges cut off.

I'm adding this here so that NVidia will realize there are enough people still using analog TV out for this to be an issue.
darthnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 01:50 AM   #10
Jellygoose

is there anyone _not_ having this problem with analog tv-out ?
Old 07-13-09, 04:02 AM   #11
Jellygoose

i want answers..
Old 07-13-09, 10:40 AM   #12
senjak

I'm having the same problem with the HDMI output on my built in 9300. I'd upgraded the motherboard from an older ASUS motherboard and have not managed to get the image fully on the screen.

My old motherboard used an ATI chipset, and the new one uses Nvidia.

I found a reference that seemed to indicate that the correct resolution was 1840x1020; however, I'd be happy to get 1360x768 running again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Senjak
senjak is offline   Reply With Quote