Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-09-09, 10:58 AM   #1
Destroy

Default What is this crap?

Since when has XBox gone ad based? If I wanted ads I'd play games on my PS3, which I don't much except for exclusives and movies.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:09 PM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: What is this crap?

Where did you encounter this ad? There's ads all over the place on the dashboard... is this somewhere new?
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:41 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post

Since when has XBox gone ad based? If I wanted ads I'd play games on my PS3, which I don't much except for exclusives and movies.
PS3 has exclusive ads in games? Any game that features ingame ads usually has ads on both platforms... never seen any PS3 game that has more ads then its X360 counter part...
Old 05-09-09, 01:30 PM   #4
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
PS3 has exclusive ads in games? Any game that features ingame ads usually has ads on both platforms... never seen any PS3 game that has more ads then its X360 counter part...
I'm sure I read that with the wrong meaning.. Imagine people arguing over which console has the best exclusive ads.

AFAIK both platforms are pretty much on par with each other with ads in the games. However the 360 also has ads on the dashboard, while I haven't seen Sony put them there. Then again, my friend with the ps3 doesn't have it hooked up to the internet. As well the 360 dashboard ads are gamer related.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 02:38 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
I'm sure I read that with the wrong meaning.. Imagine people arguing over which console has the best exclusive ads.

AFAIK both platforms are pretty much on par with each other with ads in the games. However the 360 also has ads on the dashboard, while I haven't seen Sony put them there. Then again, my friend with the ps3 doesn't have it hooked up to the internet. As well the 360 dashboard ads are gamer related.
I ment by there are ads on the PS3 in general that aren't on the X360... Only time I have seen ads in a PS3 game are in a game that has ingame ads or in Home... that is it. He made it seems like the X360 never had ads and the PS3 had them so he didn't use the PS3 because of it.
Old 05-09-09, 02:55 PM   #6
ViN86

**** Microsoft. They charge people for XBL and then need ad revenues on top of that?

I played GTA:IV online on my PS3 the other day and there was nothing different than 360 online. Only difference was I was $40 poorer on 360.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 03:00 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
**** Microsoft. They charge people for XBL and then need ad revenues on top of that?

I played GTA:IV online on my PS3 the other day and there was nothing different than 360 online. Only difference was I was $40 poorer on 360.
Xbox Live is the biggest rip-off of the entire game industry. The reason they got away with it was because online play was a new thing for consoles when they introduced it, so they could sell it as something new and unique they were enabling through the fee. If previous consoles had more free internet presence like the PC had back then, they would never have got so many people to pay for it.

The ads are insulting on top of the fee, yes, but even more insulting is the peer-to-peer gameplay and the usual horrid Internet issues for big games when they launch.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 05-09-09, 03:02 PM   #8
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Xbox Live is the biggest rip-off of the entire game industry. The reason they got away with it was because online play was a new thing for consoles when they introduced it, so they could sell it as something new and unique they were enabling through the fee. If previous consoles had more free internet presence like the PC had back then, they would never have got so many people to pay for it.

The ads are insulting on top of the fee, yes, but even more insulting is the peer-to-peer gameplay and the usual horrid Internet issues for big games when they launch.
Seriously. Then top it off with the fact that Gears of War 2 is the most connection dependent game ever made and you have an experience that will make you break something. I started with 4 360 controllers, now I have 2.

I love paying money so I can have my game hosted on some retard's connection who's running 10 torrents in the background.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-09, 04:07 PM   #9
|MaguS|

Quote:

Well the SNES and Genesis did have online play... as did the Dreamcast (which was very popular online with NFL 2K and other games like Quake 3). The Xbox was just the first really well done one. I mean it blew your mind with the way they offered Live compared to the Dreamcast...

But I agree that its an insult to have to pay for inferior service. The whole P2P system is a slap in the face, especially with how many people abuse it to give themselves better records online.
Old 05-09-09, 04:22 PM   #10
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

LOL!

I've never seen anything like that. Here in AU it's illegal to have in game advertising. So we rarely see it... Dashboard is different. There are ads, but only those relating directly to the 360 and it's direct partners like iiNet.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 04:57 PM   #11
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Well the SNES and Genesis did have online play...
Not for 99.999% of people.

And Dreamcast was pretty overlooked in a lot of areas.

Old 05-09-09, 05:08 PM   #12
|MaguS|

Quote:
Not for 99.999% of people.

And Dreamcast was pretty overlooked in a lot of areas.
http://info.sonicretro.org/XBAND

Come on! It rocked!