Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-09-09, 06:26 PM   #1
undoIT

Default Keep external monitor settings between reboots

I recently installed Kubuntu 9.04 + Nvidia driver 180.44 on my Dell Latitude E6400 (1440x900) with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M. I have the G2410 1920x1080 external monitor. The monitor is connected via VGA. I am very pleased to have the monitor running at full resolution. However, the settings don't stay intact after rebooting.

If I have the monitor connected and turn on the the laptop, only the laptop screen is active. Then, I press Fn + F8 twice to switch to the external monitor which is always reset to 1440x900. After logging in I open Nvidia settings and switch the external monitor resolution to auto. There is a warning about Meta modes and I do auto fix. Then compositing is disabled, so I open system settings, turn off then turn back on desktop effect. Also, if I want to switch back to the laptop display, it stays stuck at 1920x1080 on the laptop.

Is there any way to set this up so it is automatically detected when the external monitor is plugged in and runs at the correct resolution? With my old M1330 and Intel X3100 graphics card, it would do this and was very convenient switching back and forth between the laptop display and external monitor.
undoIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 06:52 PM   #2
undoIT

Default Re: Keep external monitor settings between reboots

Okay, so I found that the Nvidia settings isn't actually saving the xorg.conf file when try to save. The error is about not being able to remove the backup file or something, but it actually wasn't being saved. So, I tried manually adding the settings from the preview, with merge existing checked and unchecked. Each time when I reboot, Kubuntu fails to load and i'm dropped into TTY. Then I restore the xorg.conf file.

The xorg.conf file is pretty much deprecated now. Is there any other way to get the setting to stick between reboots so that at least the resolution of the external monitor is automatically loaded?
undoIT is offline   Reply With Quote