Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-13-09, 09:26 AM   #1
LaZeR
BÅNNED

Question Will WinXP recognize this?

Thinking about a memory upgrade. Will WinXP recognize THIS?

See sig for current spec. Want to end up with 3GB total.

My Blog: ChooseSnus ... Steam username: LaZeR

"It take many nails to build crib but one screw to fill it." Confucious
LaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 10:37 AM   #2
S.SubZero

Default Re: Will WinXP recognize this?

32-bit Windows XP will "recognize" up to 4GB of RAM. It directly offers about 3.5ish GB.
S.SubZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 10:50 AM   #3
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
32-bit Windows XP will "recognize" up to 4GB of RAM. It directly offers 3.25GB.
Fixed for accuracy. Also, through the use of a switch in your boot.ini you can make it address even the remaining memory space from 3.25GB to 4.0GB but still the largest memory size allocable to a program on XP32 is 2GB if I'm not mistaken.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 11:05 AM   #4
grey_1

You also want to visit Abit's website to check for compatibility Lazer...my last Abit board was pretty finicky with that. Probably wouldn't hurt to run memtest after installing it to check for errors.

EDIT: Here's the page.

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs...IC7/IC7-02.php

N/A is next to every OCZ listing.

OCZ forums...

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...play.php?f=207

I would search those forums with your motherboard spec, see what you find.
Old 05-13-09, 11:49 AM   #5
LaZeR
BÅNNED

This is what threw me though from the "Customer Reviews ....Peanut post"
Quote:
Other Thoughts: I bought these on advice of a friend. Went from 1gb to 2gb and did make a slight difference but not enough to warrent the price without the rebate. With Windows XP I can only put in 2gb of ram even though my motherboard can support 4gb. The 2gb plus my 1gb video card and 512 mb of CPU cash I've maxed out my OS. XP can only post 4gb total ram + cash so be aware of that if you use that OS.
Is this correct? CPU cache included + graphics memory in this figure

To Grey: I checked that Abit link and the memory configurations tested only show 512mb & 256mb? I know my board supports up to 4Gb in 4 slots. Right now I have 2 x 512mb sticks.

Old 05-13-09, 12:06 PM   #6
B0ne
Booyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZeR View Post
This is what threw me though from the "Customer Reviews ....Peanut post"

Is this correct? CPU cache included + graphics memory in this figure

To Grey: I checked that Abit link and the memory configurations tested only show 512mb & 256mb? I know my board supports up to 4Gb in 4 slots. Right now I have 2 x 512mb sticks.
That post you quoted sounds like BS to me.
Old 05-13-09, 12:06 PM   #7
LaZeR
BÅNNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ne View Post
That post you quoted sounds like BS to me.
That's what I'm thinking.

Old 05-13-09, 12:27 PM   #8
LaZeR
BÅNNED

Just to add. My main reason for upgrading the mem from 1gb to 3gb is for gaming such as L4D where my only real complaint(s) are:

-Load time (When I play MP, the other players are half way into the map while I'm still waiting for the loading screen to complete.)

-Disk thrashing (continued accessing the virtual memory/swap file?)

-Annoying occasional (paged pool memory low) errors within the game sometimes leading to a crash back to desktop. Yes, I have -Windows Managed- virtual memory settings. Presently usually rebooting 1st, then manually shutting down unneeded processes cures this but PITA.

& to squeeze a little more life out of my system to reasonably run Windows 7 which with limited testing it does alright now.

Make sense for $70 upgrade?

Old 05-13-09, 12:32 PM   #9
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZeR View Post
Just to add. My main reason for upgrading the mem from 1gb to 3gb is for gaming such as L4D where my only real complaint(s) are:

-Load time (When I play MP, the other players are half way into the map while I'm still waiting for the loading screen to complete.)

-Disk thrashing (continued accessing the virtual memory/swap file?)

-Annoying occasional (paged pool memory low) errors within the game sometimes leading to a crash back to desktop. Yes, I have -Windows Managed- virtual memory settings. Presently usually rebooting 1st, then manually shutting down unneeded processes cures this but PITA.

& to squeeze a little more life out of my system to reasonably run Windows 7 which with limited testing it does alright now.

Make sense for $70 upgrade?
I think you'll definitely notice a difference, but I wouldn't throw any more cash at your rig after that. Prices are getting so low you could buy a new item, say 1 a month or 2, and have a much more powerful rig within 3-5 months. It would be worth the wait rather than spending more on a system with very limited upgrade potential.
Old 05-13-09, 12:37 PM   #10
einstein_314
w00t!!

From what I understand, yes you have to take into account all the addresses of devices and stuff in your system. The maximum number of addresses a 32bit cpu can ... address ... is 2^32= 4 GB. So every device you add takes away from this number. And as soon as the device has a ton of memory that the CPU can address, it drops even more.

That being said I think there are ways they are able to get around some of the limitation....otherwise a system with SLI'd graphics cards that have 1GB each would only show 2GB ram?

I have never seen a XP system (32bit of course) that "recognized" more than 3.3GB. I don't think it's possible to see the full 4GB. And like it was mentioned above, it is also limited to 2GB max for any given program.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 12:39 PM   #11
LaZeR
BÅNNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I think you'll definitely notice a difference, but I wouldn't throw any more cash at your rig after that. Prices are getting so low you could buy a new item, say 1 a month or 2, and have a much more powerful rig within 3-5 months. It would be worth the wait rather than spending more on a system with very limited upgrade potential.
True and advice appreciated. Actually I'm trying to save up for an i7 build but right now the roughly $1200 give or take is way beyond my budget. I recently went from the GF3 ti200 to the HD2600XT (+ aprox $65) which gave me a nice boost and ability to play DX10 games, nao I just see my memory config as the only bottleneck left in my current sys. in order to max it out.

Old 05-13-09, 12:45 PM   #12
LaZeR
BÅNNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
I have never seen a XP system (32bit of course) that "recognized" more than 3.3GB. I don't think it's possible to see the full 4GB. And like it was mentioned above, it is also limited to 2GB max for any given program.
With that said, would I be better to go with just a 2x(512mb) upgrade to fill out my slots and put me at a 2GB total instead of going for the 3GB? I obviously don't want to throw money away by upgrading my current rig needlessly, however, for the $70 if going to 3GB would give max performance and benefit me even more say running W7, then thinking why not?