weevil

Default Re: The Witcher and Windows 7

Trust you to put the dampeners on I was working towards a Nostrodamus theme
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 11:10 AM   #14
musman
I Derail Threads

Yes I have fixed this problem. Don't remember how, but I did. Probably a mix of getting Windows 7 Ultmate and buying The Witcher through STEAM. I originally got this game from purchasing a video card on newegg. STEAM had it on sale for $5-6 so I just purchased it.
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/media/customer.jpg
musman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 12:48 PM   #15
Earnestlatty

SOULUTION FOR RUNNING THE WITCHER ON WINDOWS 7

The problem is not with the game client or windows 7, it is the copy protection software used on the game. if you update the copy protection to 64-bit it should work.

The game uses Tages their site is http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm update this driver then run as administrator without any compatibility modes active, and if it says anything about the disk not being found click try again and it should open the game.
Earnestlatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 10:09 AM   #16
UziUzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
IIRC if you have the non-Enhanced Edition based Witcher game then the one on the disc runs TAGES or something copy protection. If you go to the Witcher site and get the Enhanced edition version patch it will remove the tages protection.
Incorrect.
I had a copy of Witcher I had purchased some time ago that was never installed.
I opened the package the other day to install it.
Installed from disk.
Went to upgrade to 1.4 .
Installer informs me I must register first before 1.4 patch will install.
I run the game exe to register.
I provided email and login and pass.
Waited two days. No email. Checked spam folders at gmail. Nothing.
I go to the Witcher.com to find help. Nothing of use for Witcher 1 there. See for yourself. No support. NO registration page. NOthing.

I tried to register again via the game launcher means. Now the client says can not contact
the web site (or words to that effect).

I am not going to go to some jack ass Tages site and install at admin level some god forsaken unknown crap to get around this clusterfck of a install.

THe CORRECT solution, for me, is to throw the GD disk and package in the garbage and
to tell the devs of Witcher 2 to fck off and die. I mean it. Die.
No way I will buy that package after this horse ****.

I WAS looking forward to trying witcher. I had heard good things but had never got around
to installing it.
Well. I'm sure some wise ass will have another useless solution out there.
Mine is far cleaner.

Ignore Witcher2 and trash the old disk and eat the dollars. I'm sure the Russian mafia won't give a **** anyway.
UziUzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 10:20 AM   #17
UziUzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357MAG View Post
I have tried everything i read and still cant get it to work. You would think if so many people are haveing this problem it would e easy to fix but that is not the case so if anyone could help me plez let me know. It tells me it is incompatible, i have windows 7 and i went thru all the steps to run it in the right mode and evey setting it trys i get the same results PLEZ HELP
The problem is not you. It is this game and the devs behind it.

I just went thru a nightmare and my solution was to toss the DVD and package in the trash. That is the most expedient solution.

I'm not a computing moron. I've been building my own PC computers and maintaining them since the early 80's when the hot thing was a 8088 turbo at 12mhz with a massive 640KB RAM running some incarnation of MSDOS or DIgital Research DRDOS. I do all my OS installs, I FIX all my issues over the years. If I have a problem I research it on the net when I have to.

Over the years I've come across software that can require heroic efforts to make work, and sometimes it was worth it. I can spend countless hours puzzling things out.

The install on this game and upgrade path AS OF THIS WRITING is the among the worst
I've seen in the 20 plus years of my computer era life. (I'm old).
As of this writing you can't even attempt to register Witcher as the servers refuse connection. I had managed to get the client to contact them the other day but never got
any emails from them (yes I had double checked to use correct email and tried twice that day).
I would have loved to try the game, really. I only tried to install due to the imminent
release of Witcher 2 and wanted to see what the fuss had been about Witcher 1 before I purchased W2 via Steam.

Well, bottom line is Witcher 2 boys lost a sale. Learned my lesson.

I suggest anyone else that had problems with this do the same. Sink them. They do not deserve your dollars.

Last edited by UziUzi; 05-15-11 at 10:21 AM. Reason: stray r
UziUzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 02:57 PM   #18
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

I've been playing the Steam version without problems. Really enjoying it, never had the pleasure when it first came out.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 07:04 PM   #19
LurkerLito

Quote:
I am not going to go to some jack ass Tages site and install at admin level some god forsaken unknown crap to get around this clusterfck of a install.
The patch requires you to have a valid activated Witcher install, that cannot be done in Win7 x64 and probably Win7 x32 without the newer tages driver as the one included on the disc was pre-Win7. The registration is irrelevant, that should probably read "activated" and not "registered". Tages is removed by the patch but with the disc version at least, it must be installed and activated before the patch.

The steam version has been stripped of Tages already and only has Steam DRM now. The one offered for sale now for $5 on GoG is completely DRM free from the start. I am not sure how the other digital distributors are doing it though. I already bought the GoG version so I have a DRM free version of the game that won't require tages to be installed and activated albeit temporarily till the patch removes it when I install the game again at a later date.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 03:31 PM   #20
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatsuak View Post
Hi all, new to this forum, first post here!

I was facing the same "Tages Protection" problem with "The Witcher" and Windows 7. Came here looking for a solution but did not find one. However, i found some clues as to how to solve the problem. And yes, now I am able to run the game. [I have an Enhanced version of the game by SkidRow].

Heres how to do it --

1. Update the Tages Protection driver to the latest version here.

2. If you have the same version that i do, (The Witcher Enhanced Edition by SkidRow), inside the second disc you will find a folder called "SkidRow". Inside, you will find a file called "witched". Just copy the file and go to the directory where you have game installed. Inside, you will have a folder called "System". Inside there will be a similar file called "witcher". Just paste the copied file here (You will be asked if you want to replace the existing file or keep both files -- choose replace).

3. Run the game!

Viola! It works! Njoy!
Annnd enjoy your vacation

THE GAME IS FIVE F-ING DOLLARS FROM GOG!!!! FIVE DOLLARS Who in the **** pirates a 5 dollar game.. .especially one that's as good as the witcher!?!
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-11, 03:45 AM   #21
HiCZoK4

Its great game. Ive just reinstalled my Enchanced edition which is 1,4 stock version. So all I needed to do was to install 1,5 patch from the official Withcer site and it works great. I still have the same pc as on release day but game works like 3times faster and loading isnt taking 9999999seconds like it did.

Also I found that cutscenes and dialog are blurred. This is a bug caused by Lighting option. Just tune it down
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:27 AM   #22
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

I need to go update to 1.5. Teh version I got from amazon's digital download was 1.4 something.

The BIGGEST COMPLAINT though is that I can see lens flares through walls. torches and most annoyingly, the SUN I can see through the ground.

I have no idea how to fix it and it really bums me out because it's a huge distraction. I tried setting the SLI alternate rendering mode to "2" which I read fixed it for some people but not on mine. didn't try rendering mode 1 yet though.

4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 09:20 AM   #23
HiCZoK4

Just get that 1,5 patch
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/the-witcher/1/
it might help.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote