Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-09, 08:01 PM   #1
biohazrd

Default FX3800 screen flicker

I have a big problem with screen flicker that is mostly noticeable with Firefox when dragging text from the browser to another window. It is also noticeable in Opera when scrolling up and down real fast. It exhibits the behaviour with both the nvidia and nv drivers.

I have tried Linux 2.6.29 and 2.6.30-rc5
I have tried it with xorg 1.5.3-r6 and 1.6.1
I have tried various versions of the nvidia-driver including the beta release right now.
I have tried a bare bones xorg.conf letting edev do it's thing and I have tried forcing modelines. Each time I don't see anything in the Xorg.0.log that would explain this. I have disabled GLX and tried it with just UBB (Whatever that is... apparently only the Quadro cards do it.)

I am not sure where to go with this. Is it a defective card issue or some immature drivers in general with the card being so new? ACPI issue maybe? Its on a Supermicro X8DAi motherboard.

I will attempt to attach a video of the problem as well as the nvidia-bug-report.log. If the video won't upload I will try to leave the computer on for http://www.blackbusa.net/browseable/flicker_small.avi If I can find a more permanent home for it, I will.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I bought this card for a workstation environment for gimp and blender and have not had much luck as of yet.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (48.4 KB, 73 views)
biohazrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 09:39 AM   #2
biohazrd

Default Re: FX3800 screen flicker

Well I emailed PNY on the problem too. No response either. I also found today that the screen flickers with gkrellm running. I took the video I posted down as it was a waste of time leaving the computer on considering the lack of use. If for some reason a nvidia dev stumbles on this, let me know I can send it.
biohazrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 08:51 PM   #3
NoGkrellm

Cool Re: FX3800 screen flicker

I recently had the same problem, screen flickered whenever I would start up an intensive process (converting home vid to another format, large file xfers, etc) and Gkrellm was running. I fixed it by not using Gkrellm anymore. This stopped all flickering in all situations I was experiencing it....
NoGkrellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 10:24 PM   #4
biohazrd

Thumbs up Re: FX3800 screen flicker

I found that driver version 185.18.14 fixed some of the issues. The card still flickers with transparency and firefox text drags with CIOverlay enabled. It does it less with just Overlay enabled. (Both with the composite server and damage disabled - which enables UBB or Unified Back Buffer.)

But without UBB and CIOverlay the card is nothing more than a regular GeForce. Right now it's basically a $850 GeForce GTX260 with OpenGL 3.0 support. But it is quiet, which is what I designed the system for.

Below is the how the card works best:

Section "Device"
Identifier "FX3800"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
### Option "CIOverlay" "true"
# Option "Overlay" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
# Option "AllowIndirectPixmaps" "false" #turn on to improve software rendering

EndSection