Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-09, 08:48 PM   #1
aorta

Default Current state of KDE 4 performance

Hi all,

I've just installed Kubuntu 9.04. I have a Quadro NVS-290 and am using the 180.44 driver package that comes with Ubuntu.

I've checked that the recent performance improvements are enabled, but performance is still very bad. The worst app is konsole, where text output chews up a lot of CPU time. There are noticeable delays when paging through the output of less, or switching tabs, or any kind of text-drawing activity. Enabling AA helps a bit, but I don't want blurred terminal fonts. The rest of KDE is okay if a little sluggish; no stability issues at least.

Is this still the status quo as of KDE 4.2.2? Or should I be expecting better?

I tried the 173 driver which is also in the Ubuntu repository, but performance seems to be just as bad in both versions. Enabling or disabling "Desktop effects" (compiz?) makes no difference. On the same machine, GNOME is pretty smooth. gnome-terminal is faster than konsole but we're talking snails and slugs.

Just want to know what I should be expecting because, in 2D, my old Intel 945 is noticeably better and that's disappointing to say the least.

Thanks!

P.S. What is the GeForce equivalent of a Quadro NVS-290? Is it an 8 series?
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 04:09 AM   #2
Linuxhippy

Default Re: Current state of KDE 4 performance

A NVS-290 is a GeForce 8500 GT, so a quite weak card. However for 2D this shouldn't matter a lot (if all).
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 05:30 AM   #3
thefirstm

There is a computer at my school with an 8500GT running Linux, and the 2D performance on it is great. Can you give the 185.18.04 driver in my PPA repository a shot? It might make a difference, because I never tried that particular card with the 180.xx series.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 02:13 AM   #4
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
There is a computer at my school with an 8500GT running Linux, and the 2D performance on it is great. Can you give the 185.18.04 driver in my PPA repository a shot? It might make a difference, because I never tried that particular card with the 180.xx series.
I tried the 185 driver, but there was no noticeable improvement.

Another issue I noticed is that scrolling is sometimes slow initially, then it seems to get cached and is fast. This sometimes happens when dragging large photos in gqview, for example. I've never seen this with any other video card.

Anyway, it's not worth wasting time over. I've switched to an old Radeon X300 and 2D is back to normal, and there's no messing with binary drivers. 3D sucks of course, but I don't need it. I'll probably pick up a cheap Radeon 4350 in anticipation of it being well supported in the future.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 08:07 AM   #5
artem

You should run 180.xx.xx drivers in order to get a decent performance with KDE4 KWin effects turned on.

As for Konsole - it's an identified and probably forgotten issue: Konsole from KDE4 is unusable with bitmap or with nonAA TrueType fonts.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 09:15 AM   #6
clarious

I also noticed something weird with KWin. My desktop which has a 6600GT runs much much more smoother than my laptop with 8600M GT card , even at the highest powermizer level. My driver version is 185.18.04. Maybe the driver has problem with 8*00 cards?

EDIT: I also has some minor screen corruption with KDE, compositing turned on or not. But that is for another thread I guess.
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 06:59 AM   #7
robotangel

Well, it's not perfect on my 8600M GT but it's usable, even with desktop effects turned on. A small lag here and there but no bigger issues.

Even though, KDE4 is much more fun on the 7600 GT I have in another PC.
robotangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 03:46 AM   #8
amelyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
You should run 180.xx.xx drivers in order to get a decent performance with KDE4 KWin effects turned on.

As for Konsole - it's an identified and probably forgotten issue: Konsole from KDE4 is unusable with bitmap or with nonAA TrueType fonts.
I have to fully agree with the origanl poster and artem, that there is an unacceptable performance problem once you use non-antialiased fonts in kde 4.2. I am using a 8500GT based card and have the same sluggish response.

As a software developer I prefer non antialiased fonts in all applications. The micorsoft fonts are designed to look good and are readable at typical sizes (8,9,10 pt). Its only the non or badky hinted fonts, that need the 'hack' of antialising to look tolerable.

This seems to be a typical problem, where one side is blaming the other, in this case Qt/KDE vs. nvidia with the result, that this problem won't get addressed any time soon. Even more so, as all the ( for me useless ) fancy 3D effects and antialiased fonts is going to be the main use case.
amelyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-09, 09:27 AM   #9
TheBlackCat

When using desktop effects with the recent batch of nvidia drivers (180.* or 185.*), should we be using direct or indirect rending?
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 01:30 PM   #10
personman

Quote:
When using desktop effects with the recent batch of nvidia drivers (180.* or 185.*), should we be using direct or indirect rending?
I would assume direct would be more efficient, but this is really just a guess.

It IS strange that my laptop with a 7000m chip seems to handle compositing as smooth or smoother than my more powerful desktop with an 8800GTS. :/

I think the 185 series helps some by allowing small pixmaps to be placed in vid mem (on 8000 series card, as earlier cards already had this). It did seem to make a difference in firefox and konqueror.

Performance has come a long way though, and I'm grateful, but I think there is more to be done.

Another thing that can speed up compositing somewhat is disabling processor scaling. I've read some interesting articles stating that, while it lowers temperatures, it doesn't lower power usage, and in fact, can increase power usage because it takes longer to run a given instruction at the slower speed, which in turn can delay the computer from entering deeper sleep states. Just thought it was interesting.

In any event, when I run my processor full bore, kde 4 seems more responsive.

-Andy
personman is offline   Reply With Quote