Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-18-09, 10:22 AM   #1
LaZeR
BÅNNED

Default WinXP Selective startup like Hardware profile?

Is there a way to assign the MSCONFIG/Startup Items as you can with services via creation of a "Hardware Profile"?

So at bootup, you can select say "Gaming Profile" which will allow preselected startup items as well as necessary services. Again, the creation of a hardware profile enables this to have a given service disabled at startup, however if you manually tick off items via MSCONFIG, they are disabled in your normal profile also per each reboot.

I have my eye on this program---> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

I don't think it really does what I want in assigning the startup items to a profile though.

My Blog: ChooseSnus ... Steam username: LaZeR

"It take many nails to build crib but one screw to fill it." Confucious
LaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 08:01 AM   #2
glObalist
working as intended

Default Re: WinXP Selective startup like Hardware profile?

The only solution - although cumbersome - is to disable all startup items, create additional user profiles and assign the processes/apps you want for each one of them to start with to: Start-->Programs-->Startup

So User1 would have in his Start-->Programs-->Startup different entries than User2, yet both of them would have the msconfig startup list empty.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 08:33 AM   #3
LaZeR
BÅNNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
The only solution - although cumbersome - is to disable all startup items, create additional user profiles and assign the processes/apps you want for each one of them to start with to: Start-->Programs-->Startup

So User1 would have in his Start-->Programs-->Startup different entries than User2, yet both of them would have the msconfig startup list empty.
Thanks for the reply and that would seem somewhat doable, however I did try sort of the same thing with the above mentioned program from my OP by moving things around from HKLM ->> HKCU. In the end it seems some startup items didn't fair well doing this method and "Steam" for one will not load using my newly created User - (Gamer) = gives a key error or some sh!t upon startup. What a PITA.

Anyhow, I just ordered (2) 1Gb sticks of OCZ DDR as mentioned in my other post so hopefully this will resolve any "memory page pool errors" and such arising in gaming such as L4D and I won't have to muck with manually unticking crap in msconfig just to reboot and game.

My Blog: ChooseSnus ... Steam username: LaZeR

"It take many nails to build crib but one screw to fill it." Confucious
LaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 08:37 AM   #4
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZeR View Post
Thanks for the reply and that would seem somewhat doable, however I did try sort of the same thing with the above mentioned program from my OP by moving things around from HKLM ->> HKCU. In the end it seems some startup items didn't fair well doing this method and "Steam" for one will not load using my newly created User - (Gamer) = gives a key error or some sh!t upon startup. What a PITA.
Just to point out, my solution did not imply any sort of Registry manipulation.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote