Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-17-02, 02:50 PM   #1
KurtM

Question Stuck in "27.42" land w/Gainward Ti4600

OK, here's the deal. It seems that the 27.42 drivers are the only stable ones I can use without being dumped to the desktop or BSOD while playing games. I have tried just about every release since and am never able to play 3d games without problems. I used the 40.72's with some luck for a while (Mafia, Nascar 2002, GTA3) but I recently got NOLF2 (also Hitman2) and the problems started all over. Here are my specs:

AMD/T-BIRD 1.33GHZ/266 PGA
Iwill KK266-R
1.5 Gig Kingston PC133 Ram
Maxtor 80+40 Gig 7200RPM ATA/133
Lite-On 16x DVD
Lite-On 48/12/48
Gainward Ti4600 Ultra/750XP
(2) LG Studioworks 995E 19" Monitor
SB Audigy
Antec True480W

Latest Via drivers
Latest Audigy drivers
Latest Nvidia Bios 4.25.00.28
DirectX update from MS
Windows XP

I have tried:
Format and reinstall OS, then installing
Updating drivers
Uninstalling then reinstalling
Disabling 4x, FW
Moving Sound card around

I believe I have sufficient cooling and have even underclocked card a little. Life isn't all bad with the 27.42's but I would like to be able to take advantage of new features and performance when drivers are released. Thanks for any help!
KurtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 10:22 PM   #2
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

Eh, try destroying those drivers. Sounds like something is definately wrong, could be that in your bios you set the AGP aperture wrong or something or that AGP timing is off. I had stuff like this but I set everything to AUTO and made adjustments in other places for my computer but I left the AGP stuff alone, it works fine now. Try turning off the video shadows in the bios and disable fastwrites. Other than that I have no idea what could be happening to you. Bad card?
Old 10-17-02, 10:23 PM   #3
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Also, update your motherboard bios, but be careful cuz you could screw your comp up if you do it wrong.
Old 10-17-02, 11:09 PM   #4
CornCake

I honestly believe you have some bad RAM.

I had a very stable system which all of the sudden started giving me BSODS and random crashes especially when gaming. I wasted a lot of time by getting a new power supply, I RMA'd my motherboard, and I even blamed it on my Radeon 8500 and ended up with my GF4 Ti4400 (which I'm happy with, btw).

Nothing worked so I tried new RAM and now my system is stable all over again and has been for over 6 months.

Take a look at your RAM first.
CornCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 11:22 PM   #5
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Yeah, if you have more than one stick of ram they should both be the same speed and most prefferably the same brand. If you start mixing it you are asking for stability issues, but yeah, that was a great suggestion CornCake. Check your memory timings.
Old 10-17-02, 11:33 PM   #6
CornCake

Quote:
Originally posted by |TX|-LORD-EX-BU
Yeah, if you have more than one stick of ram they should both be the same speed and most prefferably the same brand. If you start mixing it you are asking for stability issues, but yeah, that was a great suggestion CornCake. Check your memory timings.
Exactly, I had 2 256MB sticks of generic pc2100 DDR RAM which were manufactuted by 2 different companies. What really tripped me up was the fact that they worked well together for over 2 months before I started having these problems. Heh, I was too damn stubborn to believe it was the RAM. I switched to 1 512MB stick of Kingston RAM. If I decide to up my RAM in the future you can be sure I'll stick with Kingston. Same deal if you go with Crucial RAM...just stick with brand names and don't mix brands.
CornCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 12:03 AM   #7
KurtM

Thanks for your replys. I have 3x512 Kingston Ram. They are all identical. I took 2 of them out and tried a single stick (2 different ones) but with the same results. I had tried every different combination of AGP settings in my bios before. Thanks again!
KurtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 06:23 AM   #8
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtM
Thanks for your replys. I have 3x512 Kingston Ram. They are all identical. I took 2 of them out and tried a single stick (2 different ones) but with the same results. I had tried every different combination of AGP settings in my bios before. Thanks again!
alright that does it! I think it's time you format that machine and install Windows FRESH. And which OS were you using? I recommend Win2k or XP for stability sake. Then Install the latest offical WHQL detonator from Nvida, and you should be all set. That way you wont have multiple version problems, and it'll eliminate ALL other possibities with your software. Try all of that and let us know how it goes.

Note: 30.82 is the latest WHQL version, but as you may have heard there is a Detnonator4 driver set, ver 40.72. It's a WHQL candidate, and many people including myself use it with no complaints. It's also a faster driver. It is only because you've been experiencing such problems than I recommend 30.82 to you since it's based on proven to work driver architecture, where as some people complained of issues with Detonator4. Again, doesn't mean you'd have a problem, but I think at this point its better we eliminate all possibilities. It's your call

30.82 http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_30.82
40.72 http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_40.72

Old 10-18-02, 11:46 AM   #9
digitalwanderer

Thumbs up I second the motion!

It does sound likes it's time for a fresh format & install, but I'd recomend 98se & the 31.40 set that came out a couple of weeks ago. The combo runs like a demon on Bubbles for me.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 12:16 PM   #10
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Before you format or do anything, start up in safe mode and go to your hardware devices thing, go under display adapters and see what you got under there. There is a possibility that there may be a number of things in there, if that is the case, remove them all and restart the computer.
Old 10-18-02, 02:51 PM   #11
Falkentyne

Send a message via ICQ to Falkentyne Send a message via AIM to Falkentyne Send a message via Yahoo to Falkentyne

Here's another vote for driver 31.40.

I still haven't found any bugs in this driver, besides the famous "if DDHELP is quit by a game, or FRAPS+game, and all acceleration crashes until rebooting" bug, that has been around for years (ever since AT LEAST the 6.xx series, if not 5.24), and doesn't exist on ATI video cards or 3dfx cards, and since DDHELP isn't used in winXP/2k, no bug there either.

I don't know if this bug was present on 5.24 or not, and I can't exactly install 5.24 on a TI 4600 to test...but I remember first seeing this bug on driver 6.35, when I could only run "Raiden II" once, without DDHELP crashing..and on that driver, ddhelp crashing would somehow lock the computer if you went into fullscreen DOS mode >_<

I don't remember if I played Raiden II on driver 5.24 or not...
Why Raiden 2? Well...that's one of the few games that will actually remove DDHELP from memory after you quit the game...provided no other application is using DDHELP at the same time.

For now, the ONLY way to run very old non-microsoft D3D games without all acceleration crashing after quitting the game, is to first run DXDIAG and minimize it, then play the game and exit/play as much as you want (ddhelp wont quit as long as dxdiag is present as you loaded that first , and THEN, before quitting DXDIAG, run killhelp to properly terminate DDHELP, then close DXDIAG and reinitalize the driver by opening the DX Control panel icon, and clicking Draw tab (no ICQ or IE programs in the background or the app will lock up).
Falkentyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-02, 05:54 PM   #12
dbd

I had big problems with my Geforce 4 Ti4200 and mobo with VIA133A chipset untill I donwloaded a fix using a link from here:
http://pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/mo...-Problems.html

the problem was that with newer drivers newer games (eg UT2003) were very unstable - UT crashing within seconds of starting a game every time
If you have simmilar problems you may want to try this fix - but remember it is only beta and may not support your newer chipset
dbd is offline   Reply With Quote