Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-25-09, 07:04 PM   #1
AirRaid

Default id Tech 6 preview

Found this on NeoGAF, credit to maniac-kun for posting this

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac-kun
id showed a short technology demo of the new idtech 6 to german magazine gamestar. id is experimenting with Voxel/Raytracing graphics:

short video of the technology demo running at 60 fps on a Geforce GTX 280 on page 3
german: http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/spec...el_grafik.html

auto translation: http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/transl...C3%9Cbersetzen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEpAFGplnI
AirRaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 08:15 PM   #2
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Default Re: id Tech 6 preview

WOW teh bigman is being used as a model for id tech 6??

will be interesting to see how Voxel+RT fair against current rendering tech. I guess this means the coming back of the CPU computation power after being dismissed for several years!

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 05:31 AM   #3
jlippo

That demo isn't part of idtech6, it's a Siggraph2008 presentation by Jon Olick.
Voxels were traced on normal nvidia GPU using Cuda. (GTX280, if I remember correctly.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEpAFGplnI&fmt=18

I personally will be thrilled to see what they will be used in the future and the filesizes..

Last edited by jlippo; 05-26-09 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added link to the presentation. (.PDF)
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 08:10 AM   #4
jolle

Yeah I didnt see any mention of Id in the video.
There are a bunch of SVO stuff on youtube aswell.
But Carmack has been talking about using raytracing with stuff like this, instead of just putting it in and replacing rasterization straight off the bat, as Intel has done with a bunch of demos using different versions of the quake engines.
Old 05-26-09, 10:11 AM   #5
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Oh man Quake Engine you can do on it everything buy my question is can you frizzle eggs on Quake Engine?
Old 05-26-09, 10:59 AM   #6
Lfctony

Moar plastic... YAY!!!
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:59 PM   #7
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Moar plastic... YAY!!!
Don't worry, things will get even more shiny!
Old 05-26-09, 05:24 PM   #8
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

God, i wished they'd spend 10% of the time they spend on making these detailed models and put that time into a better story or game characters we can care about... I don;t really need to have detail on the fricken finger tips of my monsters... make the game somthing else then another pointless, point and shoot/stab gore fest...

Just my 2 cents...

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-09, 12:07 AM   #9
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
God, i wished they'd spend 10% of the time they spend on making these detailed models and put that time into a better story or game characters we can care about... I don;t really need to have detail on the fricken finger tips of my monsters... make the game somthing else then another pointless, point and shoot/stab gore fest...

Just my 2 cents...

Vanz
A picture is worth 1000 words. Use them and make up your own story.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 02:20 AM   #10
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason he used the monster for demonstration is because it was available and it had enough detail to make good demonstration.

It is very unlikely that SVO will be used for characters as the animating them is a lot harder than polygonal objects.
What you will see with the tech is very detailed freeform worlds with some seriously interesting local effects for shadows, reflections and such.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 05:37 AM   #11
TheANIMAL

Bump.

I dont think some of you appreciate the importance of this demo. We are moving from mega textures in id tech 5 to real time mega geometry in id tech 6.

Theoretically speaking this opens up the possibility of simulations that go far beyond anything we have today. Theoretically voxells could allow every footprint to be real geometry, permanent and infintedly viewed form an infinite distance because the voxells are called into existance on a per pixel basis.

This technology also eliminates the need for LOD, completely eliminates it. I was really hoping for an ID demonstration at E3 but maybe it will happen a Siggraph instead.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 11:20 AM   #12
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
Bump.

I dont think some of you appreciate the importance of this demo.
I think you're right... there's too many grandiose claims out there that I can;t get excited about until I see/try a demo of it in action or at very least a decent vid demonstrating it in action... I got excited about Project Offset about 4 years ago and look where that's got me...

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote