Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-09, 05:16 PM   #1
yellowpants

Unhappy Quadro NVS 160m DisplayPort problems using a DP to DVI adapter

Hi,

I hope that somebody can tell me why the following is happening and can help me fix it. I searched on google and read a lot of post but didn't find a solution yet.

My system is a DELL E6400 laptop with a Quadro NVS 160m with VGA and DisplayPort output. I'm currently running a dual-boot setup with Vista (which I have to use rarely) and Ubuntu 9.04 (x86) with kernel 2.6.28-11-generic and nvidia 185.18.04.

When I connect a monitor using DVI and my DP to DVI-I adapter (http://www.delock.com/produkte/grupp...0cm_65093.html) while I have my laptop running and then turn the monitor on I cannot detect it using nvidia-settings. The monitor only recognizes that something is connected to its DVI port.

Now to what I cannot understand: When set everything up (monitor is off and connected to my laptop, which is also turned off) and then turn on the monitor shortly after I turned on the E6400 (before I come to grub) the monitor is always recognized and I can use it at its highest resolution just fine. If I then turn my laptop off leaving the monitor on and later reboot without doing anything to the monitor or the cable the monitor is not recognized anymore. This is the same for Linux and Windows but I only care to have it working nicely on Ubuntu.

I have tested the above many times with different monitors (NEC, DELL 2209WA...) and only the described method gets DVI output working.

In rare cases (I do not know when exactly or why) hotplugging worked. Most the time it didn't.

If I connect monitors or projectors using VGA it always just works. I don't have to do anything fancy at all.

I don't think it's the monitors because I already had Dell swap it and they work fine on other computers. I called Dell but they said that they cannot help me. I tried a few different nvidia drivers (177.80, 180.44, 180.51, 185.18.04) without any change at all. I also don't think that it's the adapter since it works when I do some magic. The next thing I could try is buy a DP to DVI-D adapter and see if that improves the situation...

Thanks in advance for any help fixing this or explaining to my why what's going on is going on.

Attached the logs for when it was working and when it wasn't.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (48.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report_working.log.gz (48.8 KB, 110 views)
yellowpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 10:07 AM   #2
yellowpants

Default Re: Quadro NVS 160m DisplayPort problems using a DP to DVI adapter

If anybody cares to know, I solve the described problem.

I just purchased the original Dell DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter and now everything just works all the time.
yellowpants is offline   Reply With Quote