http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 02:22 PM   #110
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Crysis 2 goes multiplatform

I really wonder how the game will be changed due to the console version, not on a technical level neccessarily, but in story and gameplay.

Will it be even more linear? Will it start a new story, since console gamers never played the original?

I am a big fan of Crysis, and that's not PC fanboyism, I think the game is aces. I would be sad to see the sequel be dissapointing compared.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 05:32 PM   #111
Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I really wonder how the game will be changed due to the console version, not on a technical level neccessarily, but in story and gameplay.

Will it be even more linear? Will it start a new story, since console gamers never played the original?

I am a big fan of Crysis, and that's not PC fanboyism, I think the game is aces. I would be sad to see the sequel be dissapointing compared.
It's still a very young series and I'd hardly accuse the original of too fast story progression. As for simple accessibility, the original was perfectly playable on my couch with a 360 controller. I'm more worried about linearity due to memory sizes than anything else.

On that note, I'm fully expecting some differences due to the limited memory size, but it's still worth pointing out that the consoles are vastly more efficient than the PC in memory usage. People tend to underestimate just how big that difference is. Just as an example, the difference between DX9 and 10 (and the 360) can be up to 40%. And dropping texture resolution from 'very high' to 'high' shaves off an additional 200 megabytes. Combined, that brings memory usage down from about 1.2gb to around 700. While that's still a big difference, I'd call it 'within reach' if you design the levels around it.

Either way, as long as the game is good then I'm not too worried about it. I just hope it plays to the strengths of the PC because graphics evolution has become somewhat stagnant over the past few years.
Old 07-27-09, 05:57 PM   #112
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I'm not too worried about tech limits... the modern consoles are much better at that stuff than people think, I agree. With the engine made specifically for them, I imagine they could handle a game roughly the same as Crysis on medium or so.

I'm more thinking about gameplay changes, not just to suit console gamers (or more accurately publishers perceived idea of console gamers) but also just as an introduction to the series, rather than a continuation. Let's not forget that Crysis ended on a cliffhanger... will we see that resolved, or will the story start over?

A cool think to do would be for Crysis 2 to include the original Crysis on consoles, and not include it on PC and be cheaper as a result, almost like another expansion on PC and a compilation on console.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote