Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-09, 08:59 PM   #73
|MaguS|

Default Re: Crysis 2 goes multiplatform

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
It's more immersive because it feels more natural (to me), I played FPS with KB+M since Wolfenstein back in 88, its just what feels natural and most immersive to me.

Playing a racing game with a steering wheel beats any other controller type. Again its what natural to me, it maxes out the immersion, experience, gameplay of that type of game and I want to add that it helps that RL cars have steering wheels as inputs and not gamepads.
Playing Racing games is different from an FPS because your using an accurate realistic controller (the wheel) to control the car... K&M and Gamepad are nothing like holding a gun...

Oh and how does playing wolfenstien relate to K&M? It was just keyboard... I mean playing it on a gamepad would be identical (without anolog) thanks to its limit movement and controls...
Old 06-02-09, 09:16 PM   #74
agentkay

I just tried to illustrate where I'm coming from and with what I have "grown up". Yes ofc Wolfenstein, Doom1 etc. were KB-only but the step to KB+M was an important and good one.

While I agree that holding a gun in RL is quite different, the precision and speed of KB+M "mimics" it good enough to me (IMO) plus again like I said before, its what I have grown up with and what I prefer and enjoy most.

It boils down to preferance in the end, so who cares.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 09:38 PM   #75
fizzelopeguss

I don't know why this debate still goes on, the mouse is a much more precise input, with analogue sticks you're fighting to control the acceleration, for shooters, this is clearly inferior.

There's a reason why for platformers, analogue sticks are superior to the wasd/arrow keys on the keyboard. Again, greater precision. This is why the wii was so exciting before they ****ed it up, and are now attempting to correct with the motion+.

Seeing PS3/360 tards slag off the wii for having "gimped" controls just makes me laugh, it attemped to put an end to the stone age control method that is the gamepad. It's not there yet, but as you saw from the nintendo/sony conferences this year, nintendo is nearly there, and sony will be there for the PS4. Microsoft has clearly lost the *****ing plot with it's sega activator MKII bollocks.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 02:09 AM   #76
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

magus, are you serious? That was the biggest joke of a video. 4 players? looked like lan too since he didnt need go through the world list, so it was him and 3 of his sucktastic friends. %80 of the kills in the video was at-spawn due to being on a map that is to damn small.

There has never been a time where the gamepad can best the keyboard in the history of gaming on 2 players of equal skill. The ability to quickly check your corners and your back with a flick of the wrist is essential.
Old 06-03-09, 02:22 AM   #77
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
magus, are you serious? That was the biggest joke of a video. 4 players? looked like lan too since he didnt need go through the world list, so it was him and 3 of his sucktastic friends. %80 of the kills in the video was at-spawn due to being on a map that is to damn small.

There has never been a time where the gamepad can best the keyboard in the history of gaming on 2 players of equal skill. The ability to quickly check your corners and your back with a flick of the wrist is essential.
Agreed.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. A mouse is better for "natural" movements like looking and aiming because a mouse is works like anything else in the real world.

Think about it. A mouse records movement based on its own movement, where as an analog stick records movement based on its distance from its center point. Does anything in the natural world work like that?

IMO, gamepads are basically a handicap in gaming. Lots of people push through it and deal with it, but that doesn't mean its the best solution. Sit someone down at a PC for the first time and let them play a first person shooter and I guarantee they'll improve more quickly than if they were to use a gamepad.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 04:31 AM   #78
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
No reason it can't be done, the same as Halo and all other console shooters... Crysis even has gamepad options in the game, and FEAR was ported. FYI.

Just because YOU can't use dual analog sticks for shooters doesn't mean they don't work. You're just not used to them.
Nobody says it can't be done, but you must sacrifice good AI. And you comapring Halo with Stalker and Far Cry!!? Fear 2 AI sucks, and why!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 08:56 AM   #79
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post

4 players? Um the list shows atleast 10+ people (looks full the server)... My arguement was never which was better, for FPS I prefer K&M (duh, I own a good PC) but playing on a gamepad is no where near horrible. Thats what im trying to get across, but you all seem to think that if its not with a K&M it's not playable...

Capt, I know people who think M&K feels weird in comparison to gamepads... actually most console exclusive gamers think so.
Old 06-03-09, 09:02 AM   #80
AdamK47

I'll be happy if they make Crysis 2 look as good as Crysis 1. Perhaps they can prove Tim Sweeney wrong and make the game look multiple times better on high end PCs compared to the these old consoles.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-09, 10:14 AM   #81
Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
Nobody says it can't be done, but you must sacrifice good AI. And you comapring Halo with Stalker and Far Cry!!? Fear 2 AI sucks, and why!
Are you high?

Far Cry 2 and F.E.A.R. 2 A.I. was fine. Newsflash, buddy: F.E.A.R. (the original) was on consoles, too, and the A.I. was the same -- and it was highly praised.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s A.I. was a joke. I'm sorry, a guy crouching doesn't make the A.I. any better.
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 10:16 AM   #82
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s A.I. was a joke. I'm sorry, a guy crouching doesn't make the A.I. any better.
So was Far Cry's. Enemies that can shoot and hit you at 500 yards with a rocket launcher or sniper rifle while I'm under 70% cover does not make for the fun times.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:07 AM   #83
Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
So was Far Cry's. Enemies that can shoot and hit you at 500 yards with a rocket launcher or sniper rifle while I'm under 70% cover does not make for the fun times.
Sorry, I'll take improved accuracy over guys randomly crouching in the wide open while at the same time not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

The point is: if you think consoles are going to dumb down A.I, you yourself are dumbed down.
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 01:06 PM   #84
dikinher
Grab em!

Unless you had the game on easy, STALKER's AI wasn't dumb by any means.