Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-09, 02:25 PM   #85
|MaguS|

Default Re: Crysis 2 goes multiplatform

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikinher View Post
Unless you had the game on easy, STALKER's AI wasn't dumb by any means.
No no your totally right, STALKER has the best AI!

Yeah Sorry, It might have great AI... if it worked most of the time.
Old 06-03-09, 05:30 PM   #86
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
Far Cry 2 and F.E.A.R. 2 A.I. was fine. Newsflash, buddy: F.E.A.R. (the original) was on consoles, too, and the A.I. was the same -- and it was highly praised.
Exactly... some amazing AI has been done on consoles, including FEAR. Hell, the consoles are very processor focused, which allows for great AI, even beyond a typical gaming PC.

If FEAR 2 was dumbed down it was because Monolith chose to do that, for whatever reason (read: casual gamer sales).

The point is that consoles can do all these things, there is nothing stopping them, but developer's choose not to do them, or focus on other things, and then the ports to PC are, of course, the same.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 05:50 PM   #87
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Are you high?

Far Cry 2 and F.E.A.R. 2 A.I. was fine. Newsflash, buddy: F.E.A.R. (the original) was on consoles, too, and the A.I. was the same -- and it was highly praised.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s A.I. was a joke. I'm sorry, a guy crouching doesn't make the A.I. any better.
I'm not! What about you?

Quote:
Exactly... some amazing AI has been done on consoles, including FEAR. Hell, the consoles are very processor focused, which allows for great AI, even beyond a typical gaming PC.

If FEAR 2 was dumbed down it was because Monolith chose to do that, for whatever reason (read: casual gamer sales).

The point is that consoles can do all these things, there is nothing stopping them, but developer's choose not to do them, or focus on other things, and then the ports to PC are, of course, the same.
OMG!
You can do good AI on consoles, but it's gonna be frustrating to play with gamepad. And casual gamers don't like that!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 05:56 PM   #88
TheANIMAL

Why are we talking about Stalker AI, surely its Crysis AI that is important.

Crysis's AI was fairly good for the most part, if i remember correctly, there were problems with dirver AI, alien AI and human turret AI but that was about it.

Actually that was 3/5, but the enemy powersuit AI was really cool and almost made up for it.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:15 PM   #89
Ywap

AI this or AI that, if you prefer autoaim or hitboxes the same size as the whole screen then youŽll probably love gamepads.

Personally i like them for platformers and Devil may Cry style of action games but hate them for shooters.
Old 06-03-09, 07:52 PM   #90
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
Personally i like them for platformers and Devil may Cry style of action games but hate them for shooters.
that is the point, every type of controller has its purpose.
Old 06-03-09, 08:13 PM   #91
Ywap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
that is the point, every type of controller has its purpose.
Yepp, and fps is certainly not one of a gamepads purposes imo.
Old 06-03-09, 09:25 PM   #92
Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
I'm not! What about you?

OMG!
You can do good AI on consoles, but it's gonna be frustrating to play with gamepad. And casual gamers don't like that!
LMAO.

You argue about A.I. not being as good on the consoles, then you change the argument completely because A.I. can be done well on consoles.

You, my friend, have to be high.
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-09, 09:30 PM   #93
dikinher
Grab em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post

Name a console game that actually had some good AI. Seeing that I've played Far Cry 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2, GRAW 1 and 2 on for the console and PC, the PC versions had the most competitive AI. I can imagine playing a console version with a mouse and keyboard, that would be too easy due to the AI being downgraded to accomodate the limits of a controller.
Old 06-04-09, 07:58 AM   #94
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
LMAO.

You argue about A.I. not being as good on the consoles, then you change the argument completely because A.I. can be done well on consoles.

You, my friend, have to be high.
There's no point do discuss this with you!

Quote:
Name a console game that actually had some good AI. Seeing that I've played Far Cry 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2, GRAW 1 and 2 on for the console and PC, the PC versions had the most competitive AI. I can imagine playing a console version with a mouse and keyboard, that would be too easy due to the AI being downgraded to accomodate the limits of a controller.
That's the point. And this is the problem with multiplatform FPS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 10:06 AM   #95
Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
There's no point do discuss this with you!

That's the point. And this is the problem with multiplatform FPS.
The A.I. is downgraded because of the controller?

Yeah, OK. Because we didn't already address that games such as F.E.A.R. were already released on consoles with the exact same A.I. Want to try again?

I can play Crysis on the PC with a 360 controller, and guess what? The A.I. is the same, and it's really not any more difficult to play! Yes, the mouse and keyboard makes it far more accurate, but that pretty much blows your theory to hell.
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 11:28 AM   #96
nemecb

I'm curious (and want to throw fuel on the fire) - for people who have played both, how did the AI on the console versions of Bioshock compare to the PC version? I ask because I seem to recall thinking that in the PC version it would have been a bitch to try to track some of the fast moving ones or teleporting ones with a controller.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote