Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-03, 06:53 PM   #1
synecdoche

Default Unified driver?

Under what circumstances would I need the unified driver? I recently bought a computer that had all onboard nvidia parts-- the graphics card, the sound card, and the network card-- and was wondering if I should go for this on my mandrake 9.1 system or if I should just find individual drivers for each.

Thanks.
I am new to Linux and still learning the ropes, so any help is greatly appreciated.

-dave
synecdoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-03, 12:29 AM   #2
maliqua

Here's the dilly
use the unified driver thing its not as unified in linux as it is in windows its just basically a package with all the drivers in it you can install them individually

its a pretty good driver

the only other option is OSS and you have to pay for that
Old 06-15-03, 10:26 AM   #3
shassard
Asus Geforce FX 5600

As far as I know, the sound on the nforce board is just a standard AC97 and is supported by all of the generic Intel8x0 drivers in all sound packages be it OSS/Free or Alsa.

If you're doing anything serious with audio, you should really try out alsa (http://www.alsa-project.org/). I'm pretty sure that the nforce audio is well supported.
shassard is offline   Reply With Quote