Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-12-09, 12:29 PM   #13
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 9400 GT PCI-e fails to load driver 2.6.29 kernel

@Learnincurve: I'm afraid not, I'm not familiar with the changes that caused the regression. You could use an older kernel...
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 06:14 PM   #14
Dragorep

I note the NVIDIA readme's refer to compatibility to kernels later than "All official stable kernel releases from 2.4.7 and up are supported" I wonder when this statement was last revised?

Another approach might be to try kernel 2.6.30 (which is now stable - http://www.kernel.org/) and see if the issue is already fixed?

Which kernel version(s) do NVIDIA develop and test on?

Are there any differences between the PCI and PCI-E versions?
Dragorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 07:06 PM   #15
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragorep View Post
I note the NVIDIA readme's refer to compatibility to kernels later than "All official stable kernel releases from 2.4.7 and up are supported" I wonder when this statement was last revised?
In April of 2006; it's still valid for a wide range of GPUs, although vanilla Linux 2.4.22 (or distribution kernels providing vmap()) is required on others - if so, the NVIDIA kernel module alerts the user to this requirement.

Quote:
Another approach might be to try kernel 2.6.30 (which is now stable - http://www.kernel.org/) and see if the issue is already fixed?

Which kernel version(s) do NVIDIA develop and test on?
A lot of testing is done on RHEL 4/5 installations, but we're working with a wide range of Linux kernel versions and distributions internally.

Quote:
In terms of kernel version requirements?
Old 06-12-09, 07:16 PM   #16
Dragorep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
In terms of kernel version requirements?
The question was intended to ask in the broader sense, if one buys a PCI version, what does one loose over PCI-E? Clearly the buses capacity is lower, is there any other difference? Should one expect a PCI to perform as well as a PCI-E, particularly in vdpau performance terms?

Sorry to butt this question in, perhaps it might be better under its own thread? Thanks for the prompt responses Zander.
Old 06-13-09, 03:00 AM   #17
Learnincurve

In my case I have found differences between different distros, also within the same major kernel-release. So hopefully will be able to isolate the code casuing the problem. The Mythbuntu 9.04 kernel (2.6.29), and Sabayon 4.0 (2.6.29) kernels both work in live cd mode, whereas the Sidux and debian patched kernels don't (2.6.28-2.6.30). Next step would be to try a compile from the vanilla kernel source to see if the problem is due to a Debian patch, or whether the Ubuntu and Sabayon patches solve a problem in the vanilla source.

Will come back with more info after testing some more. Unfortunately I don't have much time or WAF for this, so it may take a while.

In practical terms, I'm tempted to switch to a distro that works, although I would also view that as a defeat. I've used Sidux without issue since its inception, and have been very pleased with it.

Thanks Zander for your help so far.
Learnincurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 05:53 AM   #18
Learnincurve

Same problem with vanilla kernel source. 2.6.30
Learnincurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 08:08 PM   #19
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Dragorep: compared to the PCI-E version of a card, I'd expect the PCI version to suffer from performance and, potentially, compatibility problems. The bus interface bandwidth is greatly reduced, certain features like non-coherent system memory accesses are unavailable, 32-bit PCI cards are unable to address memory above 4GB, limiting the pool of memory available to it, etc.. The graphics driver stack may also take paths not as well exercised.
Old 06-23-09, 09:22 PM   #20
Dragorep

@zander: is this the first time this information has been publicised by NVIDIA?

As I understand it there are two types of video these cards might be asked to display - compressed streams and much larger raw game streams direct from the CPU.

From your reply it seems likely the high end gaming streams will be challenged and not perform the same however the PCI bus should leave ample head excess over transmission of HD 1080i streams.

My interest is in display of compressed video streams (such as H264 1080i) using vdpau. Will any of the limitations noted interfere with this or should one expect an un-compromised experience in that SD/HD use?

Are there any known hardware / CPU in-compatibilities? (>4G RAM noted) RAM noted)

Can we expect the NVIDIA drivers to address driver stack issues?

Old 06-24-09, 11:18 AM   #21
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Dragorep: the limitations I pointed out are not NVIDIA specific, they are limitations of the PCI bus. In terms of adequacy of the 32-bit PCI bus's for streaming video, I don't have a good sense for the amounts of data being streamed (Stephen will have a much better idea), though I'd expect them to vary. Available bandwidth and latencies will also vary with the bus topology, the presence of other devices on the bus in question, their type and DMA characteristics, etc.. It is my understanding that the GPU(s) in question are PCI-E GPUs bridged to PCI, which has additional implications.

Due to all of the above, I can't say whether a PCI card would satisfy your requirements. As to driver issues: if PCI specific bugs are identified (I'm not aware of any at this point), I'd expect us to want to resolve them, but chances are they'd be prioritized behind more generic ones.