Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Solaris

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-12-09, 04:10 PM   #1
paulgress

Default xorg.conf doesn't appear to be read

I'm running Solaris SXCE 114. I noticed after I log in if I start the application "nvidia-settings" my whole desktop will blank for about one second then reappear. After it reappears I noticed that the whole display was brighter with more contrast, similar to adjusting the gamma. Also, my mouse cursor was "shadowed". I remember setting the mouse some time ago and forgot about it. So I looked, and there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. No problem, I'll use the "nvidia-setting" utility to save a new xorg.conf file.

After this task was completed, I verified that the file was saved. I rebooted my computer, it behaves as if nothing was changed. I started the application "nvidia-settings" application again, and my whole desktop will blank for about one second then reappear. After it reappears I noticed that the whole display was brighter with more contrast, again and also, my mouse cursor was now again "shadowed".

How come Nvidia/Xorg doesn't appear to read the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?
paulgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 10:00 AM   #2
paulgress

Default Re: xorg.conf doesn't appear to be read

To answer my own post. Doing research I found that Nvidia will not automatically start its own saved extension available from "nvidia-settings". There are a few ways to achieve this. One way is to add the command "nvidia-settings -l" into the ".xinitrc" file. My computer has multiple links and files so I opted not to use this method. What I decided to do was add that command into my "/home/.profile" file. The "-l" option for "nvidia-settings" just means read and load the ".nvidia-settings-rc" saved using the "nvidia-settings" utility. This worked for me.

One last method, it appears Nvidia/Xorg does read the "xorg.conf" file, its just when saved from the "nvidia-settings" utility, it doesn't add any extensions. You have to add them manually.

Example:

For the cursor shadow to work I had to add following line into /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

Option "CursorShadow" "true"

Also, the "nvidia-settings -l" method above will also get the cursor shadow working.

My take on this, the "nvidia-settings" utility should have a check box to ask if you would like these setting to automatically start at boot by adding its own entry to /home/.profile file or globally by adding it to .xinitrc file.
paulgress is offline   Reply With Quote