Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-09, 03:18 PM   #1
d2thez

Default RAID 0 Beneficial to Gaming??

I currently run a 250GB SATAII HDD which has the OS installed. A 2nd 36GB SATAI Raptor has my game installs.

I was thinking of getting another 250GB SATAII HDD and putting the 2 matching drives in RAID 0.

Is RAID 0 benficial to gaming or OS responsiveness?? Is there any benefit to changinf away from my current config?

Intel QX9770 @ 3.2Ghz | Thermalright SI-128SE | MSI P35 Neo2-FR (BIOS 1.C) | eVGA GTX 570 SuperClock | OCZ Reaper 4GB PC6400 | eVGA Killer Xeno Pro | Seagate 250GB HDD (OS and Apps) | Western Digital Raptor 36GB HDD (Game Installs) | Sound Blaster X-Fi X-treme Music | Thermaltake Toughpower 700w | Silverstone Raven RV01 | Logitech G5 Rev 2.0 Laser Mouse | Gateway FHD2400 24" LCD
d2thez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 04:26 PM   #2
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman
Default Re: RAID 0 Beneficial to Gaming??

Its hard to say.

Usually people raid the OS for speed and use real fast single drives for storage so that if raid dies they have soem way to get to their stuff like music games and pics.

Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 06-06-09, 05:16 PM   #3
Xion X2

If done right, yes, it can make a huge difference in overall speed.

I have two SSDs in Raid0, and there is no loading time for anything. As soon as I click a button, it's there. Vista64 loads 3/4 of the way through the 2nd loading bar on startup, and my desktop is always up before the Vista intro music finishes.

For gaming, it's helped me with games with streaming texture loading like Oblivion. Oblivion no longer pauses like it did running a single drive. Very smooth now. Depending on what game you're playing, the benefits will vary. But it should make everything faster.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 05:37 PM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I have 2x500Gb Sammy Sungs. There are improvements in load times, depends a lot on the game. FEAR and The Sims 2 showed big improvements for me. Of course if you are like Xion and run SSDs in RAID, well that's just intense. If you want the performance and don't mind sacrificing a few Gbs to find the best price vs storage combo SSDs might be the way to go...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 06:52 PM   #5
Xion X2

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-12-09, 02:00 PM   #6
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

SSD's in raid 0 and you're not breaking 200MB/s???
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 07:43 PM   #7
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
SSD's in raid 0 and you're not breaking 200MB/s???
You won't see that without a dedicated controller card. I'm using an on-board controller.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-13-09, 08:52 AM   #8
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2thez View Post
I currently run a 250GB SATAII HDD which has the OS installed. A 2nd 36GB SATAI Raptor has my game installs.

I was thinking of getting another 250GB SATAII HDD and putting the 2 matching drives in RAID 0.

Is RAID 0 benficial to gaming or OS responsiveness?? Is there any benefit to changinf away from my current config?
If all your 250 GB drive has is the operating system installed, you'd probably see the most benefit from picking up a single 64 GB SSD as an OS drive, then adding a second 36 GB Raptor and putting those in a RAID-0 config for your games. Better yet, purchase a single 640 GB WD Caviar Black, use that for your games, and relegate your existing 250 GB drive for file backup by either keeping it in your system or putting it in an external enclosure. The Caviar Black is going to be faster and quieter than your existing Raptor, not to mention the more than 10-fold increase in space.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-09, 04:13 PM   #9
Xion X2

I wouldn't use a single SSD for your OS. They still don't handle random writes all that well, and you will get lots of pausing.

Raiding them fixes this problem.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-13-09, 05:13 PM   #10
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
I wouldn't use a single SSD for your OS. They still don't handle random writes all that well, and you will get lots of pausing.
I thought this was only an issue with drives that use JMicron controllers. Intel- and Samsung-based drives don't, but they're also a lot more expensive. Standard drives are still the way to go.

Another option would be to add a 36 GB Raptor and RAID them as the OS drive, then use the Cavair Black or Velociraptor for games.
Old 06-13-09, 09:01 PM   #11
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
I thought this was only an issue with drives that use JMicron controllers. Intel- and Samsung-based drives don't, but they're also a lot more expensive. Standard drives are still the way to go.

Another option would be to add a 36 GB Raptor and RAID them as the OS drive, then use the Cavair Black or Velociraptor for games.
Yeah, I was speaking of the mainstream SSDs.

To be honest, Raptors in raid are faster than these Core drives I have in raid. The Core drivers have a higher peak read rate but require larger transfer sizes before they really pick up steam. Both are fast, but the raptors just seem to bulldozer through anything and are more consistent.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-14-09, 10:38 AM   #12
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Yeah, I was speaking of the mainstream SSDs.
I figured. Kingston has a new line of low-price SSDs with a modified JMicron controller. They allege their version doesn't suffer from the lagging/pausing issues. Of course, that all remains to be seen. Their prices are very appealing at about $140 for the 64 GB and $250 for the 128 GB, but I'm going to wait for user reviews to start cropping up on Newegg before looking in that direction.

Quote:
To be honest, Raptors in raid are faster than these Core drives I have in raid. The Core drivers have a higher peak read rate but require larger transfer sizes before they really pick up steam. Both are fast, but the raptors just seem to bulldozer through anything and are more consistent.
Looking at your ATTO benchmarks in this thread, I decided to run my own on my RAID-0 setup (2x 640 GB WD Caviar Blue). My peak read and write speeds came in at about 150 MB/s each. Not as fast as yours overall, but more consistent across the various tests.