Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-09, 12:30 PM   #13
Xion X2

Default Re: RAID 0 Beneficial to Gaming??

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
I figured. Kingston has a new line of low-price SSDs with a modified JMicron controller. They allege their version doesn't suffer from the lagging/pausing issues. Of course, that all remains to be seen. Their prices are very appealing at about $140 for the 64 GB and $250 for the 128 GB, but I'm going to wait for user reviews to start cropping up on Newegg before looking in that direction.

Looking at your ATTO benchmarks in this thread, I decided to run my own on my RAID-0 setup (2x 640 GB WD Caviar Blue). My peak read and write speeds came in at about 150 MB/s each. Not as fast as yours overall, but more consistent across the various tests.
Those Kingston drives sound promising. I'll keep then in mind.

On ATTO, I get about 175 MB/s peak read/write rate on my raptors in raid0. So it's about 35 MB/s less than I've seen on my Core drives (see below.)

What's better about the raptors is they read smaller file sizes much faster than the Cores. Considering that and that they're comparable with larger files, they make for an overall faster system if you install your OS on them.

I did try Oblivion last night w/ the upgraded texture pack, and it plays smoother on the Core drives. It takes less time to load the streaming textures in whereas the raptors will pause for a split-second or two.

So they each have their pluses and minuses. I'd say the raptors are better to run the OS on and the Cores may be better for gaming.

Edit: I have a new high score for my Core drives. Appears as if they like the i7 platform better. 212 MB/s:

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 03:05 PM   #14
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Those Kingston drives sound promising. I'll keep then in mind.
I'm tempted to get one for my PS3. It doesn't help with installing games from discs due to the Blu-ray drive's slow read speeds, but once you're in game, load times can be reduced up to 40%. I might actually go with a 256 GB Corsair just to expand my store and re-install Linux on it. Gotta see how my budget shakes out for next month.

Quote:
On ATTO, I get about 175 MB/s peak read/write rate on my raptors in raid0. So it's about 35 MB/s less than I've seen on my Core drives (see below.)

What's better about the raptors is they read smaller file sizes much faster than the Cores. Considering that and that they're comparable with larger files, they make for an overall faster system if you install your OS on them.

I did try Oblivion last night w/ the upgraded texture pack, and it plays smoother on the Core drives. It takes less time to load the streaming textures in whereas the raptors will pause for a split-second or two.

So they each have their pluses and minuses. I'd say the raptors are better to run the OS on and the Cores may be better for gaming.
What Raptors do you run? I ran a pair of 74 GB ones for a while, and while they were fast, I couldn't stand the noise. Here's a revised ATTO benchmark after defragmenting the Cavair Blues.

saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 04:18 PM   #15
Xion X2

How did you get your Caviars to hit 219 mb/s?? That's faster than my Core drives. Are you using a controller card?

I'm running 74GB raptors, and yes, they are loud as feck.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-14-09, 07:08 PM   #16
saturnotaku

Quote:

How did you get your Caviars to hit 219 mb/s?? That's faster than my Core drives. Are you using a controller card?
Must have been a fluke. I re-ran the test a couple more times and it averaged 150-160 MB/s. That's a bit more realistic.
Old 06-14-09, 09:34 PM   #17
Xion X2

Quote:
Must have been a fluke. I re-ran the test a couple more times and it averaged 150-160 MB/s. That's a bit more realistic.

Well no offense, but that makes me feel a little better.

I usually don't allow defragging of my Core drives because I've heard it can damage them, but just for the sake of benching ATTO I did while ago. Up to 217 mb/s now.

I wish I had an extra PCI-E slot on this mainboard for a controller card. My 275s are overlaying my 4x lanes, and I only have a 1xPCI-E available. I'm guessing there are no decent controller cards out there for 1xPCI-E. Any idea?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-14-09, 10:01 PM   #18
saturnotaku

Quote:
I usually don't allow defragging of my Core drives because I've heard it can damage them
You won't directly damage them, but defragmenting an SSD will shorten its life expectancy.

I've decided not to go the SSD route in my desktop machine right now. The marginal performance gain over my existing setup doesn't justify the higher price and lower capacity. I'd love to put one in my MacBook Pro, but it's a late-2007 model, so it would be a time consuming, potentially damaging exercise.
Old 06-16-09, 01:36 AM   #19
Xion X2

One thing I love about the SSDs is how quiet they are.. especially compared to these raptor drives.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-16-09, 06:10 AM   #20
saturnotaku

I assume you've also disabled indexing and system restore on your SSDs? That's a whole lot of unnecessary writing right there.

Old 06-16-09, 08:18 PM   #21
Xion X2

Quote:
I assume you've also disabled indexing and system restore on your SSDs? That's a whole lot of unnecessary writing right there.
Disabled indexing but kept system restore. I always like to have that as an option with as many driver changes as I make to my setup and how often I'm swapping software on/off the drives.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 06-25-09, 05:14 AM   #22
john19055

Unless you are talking about Solid State Drives,then with just regular drives like the Seagate 500g ,you might not notice much difference ,besides a game might load a little faster ,but it is hard for me to tell much difference between one 640gb western digtal Black 32mb cache and running two of them in a Raid-0 set-up.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 07:32 AM   #23
Xion X2

You must have a bandwidth issue, because even standard HDDs, when in a Raid0 config, will almost double your read and write speeds. It doesn't take SSDs to see a benefit.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz