Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-09, 04:13 PM   #1
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Default I hate my broadband company

So i have crap internet.

Fact.

Then a month or so ago my provider said they were going unlimited so this month i downloaded a bit.

Now ive been capped

speed =

I can barely surf. Videos are out of the question and as for finishing what I wanted to download, its going to take weeks at this speed instead of days.

/rant.

Old 04-16-09, 07:42 AM   #2
Medion

Default Re: I hate my broadband company

Suddenlink was giving me problems. I downgraded to their 2mb service for $24.99/month. Last month, they jacked the price up to $34.99, and dropped my speed to 1mb. I'm switching to 6mb DSL for $37.95/month. **** cable.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 09:22 AM   #3
bacon12

I am paying $60/month for a 7mb/512 line. I really wish there were more alternatives, but in my area there is only one cable provider, and I too am looking into DSL.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 09:30 AM   #4
Pete Abel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
Suddenlink was giving me problems. I downgraded to their 2mb service for $24.99/month. Last month, they jacked the price up to $34.99, and dropped my speed to 1mb. I'm switching to 6mb DSL for $37.95/month. **** cable.
I'm with Suddenlink. I hope there's a way we can keep you as a customer. Let me know, via email, please (pete-DOT-abel-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com) since I don't regularly check this forum. Thanks.
Pete Abel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 04:51 PM   #5
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Abel View Post
I'm with Suddenlink. I hope there's a way we can keep you as a customer. Let me know, via email, please (pete-DOT-abel-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com) since I don't regularly check this forum. Thanks.
Here's the email that I sent him, since some of you might find this entertaining. I've edited out some duplicate info (such as, who this is, and a link to this post).

Quote:
At this point, there is absolutely nothing that you can do to retain me as a customer. However, in the off chance that you actually care to improve your company, I will detail just what your company has done to irk me thus far. Screwing up once in awhile can happen even to the best of us, but it seems that these kinds of screwups are a part of Suddenlink Culture.

-I initially signed up for Suddenlink high-speed internet, as well as HDTV with HD-DVR. I was given a used DVR that hadn't even been reset yet. I had to use Google to find out how to reset this model, since Suddenlink customer support wanted to charge me extra for it. Had I not reset it, it was going to continue trying to DVR to the previous owner's schedule.

-When I signed up, I specifically asked if the company offered Comedy Central and NFL Network, both in HD. Now, had the customer service rep been honest with me (Comedy Central isn't available in HD on any carrier, and NFL Network won't even negociate with Suddenlink), I would have understood. However, your rep lied t me and said that you offer both channels, in HD. When I got my HDTV hooked up and realized that I had been scammed, I called customer support and was told "oh well."

-Recently, I dropped your television service entirely, and then reduced my internet speed to your lowest package. I was debating a move to DirectTV and DSL internet. You guys gave me all the push that I needed with these next two mistakes. First, you guys sent me a bill for over $500 after I made the switch. When I called to find out what happened, it turns out that the guy who was sent to pick up my DVR called in sick, and rather than reschedule, your company just assumed that I would be glad to pay for the DVR! So here I was with an over $500 bill, which took even more of a hassle to clear up.

-Next, after I returned the DVR, you guys took my internet package (2mb down for $24.99/mo) and changed it to 1mb down for $33.99/mo, without ANY warning!

So no, Mr. Abel, I have no desire to stay with your company. Everytime that I've thrown money towads your company, you guys have scaled back my service while demanding more money. Personally, I'd love to see Suddenlink go belly up in areas where satelite and DSL are readily available.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 08:55 AM   #6
Pete Abel

Medion -- I am very sorry for the issues you encountered. No excuses. We clearly have room for improvement. Accordingly, I will share your input with our senior customer care managers and ask them to take steps to help prevent this from happening again with another customer. Thank you for taking the time to share this history with me.
Pete Abel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 05:32 PM   #7
Slammin

Sounds like SuddenDeath to me.

This company should be ashamed. I wonder if this is just an isolated case? Even if it were, customer service such as this should not be rewarded. I wonder how older custormers fare with such a dubious service provider?

This is just one more reason to check in on my Mom :-)
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 05:36 PM   #8
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

who you with noob?
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-09, 05:51 PM   #9
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

at 50GB.

I have probably downloaded around 4 or 5 TB of stuff all told last month, what with games, high-def streaming and using Orb to stream. I might be around 1 TB this month.

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 01:30 AM   #10
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

So that's where all my bandwidth goes...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 02:08 AM   #11
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I've been lucky so far. Atlantic Broadband cable is a very good service. If they try to screw around with bandwidth caps and increased fees I'll switch to Verizon DSL though. I'm just glad we have a choice here.

Atlantic BB has never charged me for any house calls or phone support. This one time at my mother's house a wire in our house had been damaged by mice. They spent 2 hours diagnosing the problem from the street to our modem and when they found it, they cut the damaged cord and put a new end on it right there... we never saw a bill at all.

They've also upgraded my service several times over the past few years. We initially paid this same price for 768\128 cable back in 2001-2002 (I think) when Charter was our carrier. Then Atlantic BB moved in and upgraded us to 1.5\192 and lowered our bills, then they gave us 3\320 and now 5\512. And they've never increased the prices.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 07:55 AM   #12
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Aside from the bandwidth cap, I can't complain too much about Comcast. Their Internet service is fast, and in the three years I've had it, I can count the number of times it's gone down on one hand. Their digital cable is good quality, too, though it's a pain in the rear because you can't record more than two shows at once, and the cable box's hard drive is on the small side. We've contemplated switching to AT&T since you can record four shows at once. However, you need a receiver for each TV (which naturally costs more). In addition, once you add in an Internet package of comparable speed, there's no cost savings.

With the stranglehold Comcast and AT&T have in the Chicago area, I doubt we'll see Verizon FIOS any time soon, if ever.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote