Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-09, 06:38 AM   #1
jppinto

Default cant install nvidia driver on ubuntu 8.10 - libwfb problem

I am running ubuntu 8.10 64bit and I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS (hp dv3560ep), and before trying to update the NVIDIA driver everything was working perfectly with 3D acceleration. The only problem that led me to update was a hue setting that was not correct.

I start by uninstalling everything related to NVIDIA, then open a terminal and stop gdm. Navigate to NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-180.51-pkg2.run and execute as sudo.

All goes smooth with no errors being reported and I end up back with the terminal prompt.

I commented the line involving "type1" under "modules" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then I start gdm. See some flashes of a NVIDIA picture filling the whole screen. And the After the flashes, the monitor shows some noise lines on top, and somehow the screen seems divided in 2. The left part of the screen shows the right part of what should be in the screen! and vice-versa. (however if I do a printscreen, the image is correct!)

At this point an error message appears saying:

"Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode

The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.

(EE) failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
(EE) failed to load module "wfb" (loader failed,7)
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Need libwfb but wfbScreenInit not found"

Similar errors occur when I try to install via the provided restricted drivers applet.

if I uninstall NVIDIA drivers "sudo sh NVI** --uninstall" then I get the screen correct again but low-graphics again.

If I install 185.18.04 the problem is exactly the same.

I've tried numerous "solutions" like envyng and others but with no success. When I installed version 177.x using envyng or the restricted driver applet I had the same error.

I don't know if this is a clue for the problem, but:

* after I uninstall the NVIDIA driver "sudo sh NVID* --uninstall" and reboot "sudo reboot", the screen is no longer shifter, BUT I see the following error:

"Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode
The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.
(EE) failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist,0)
(EE) failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist,0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Any help deeply appreciated.

J
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (38.6 KB, 103 views)
jppinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 03:11 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: cant install nvidia driver on ubuntu 8.10 - libwfb problem

libwfb.so is supposed to come from your distribution's X server package. It sounds like it's missing or corrupt. I would recommend reinstalling the X package.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 01:52 PM   #3
jppinto

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try to do that and post the result.

For the Ubuntu Distro what is the X package I should reinstall?

Is it xserver-xorg-core ?

J

Last edited by jppinto; 05-24-09 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added information
Old 05-24-09, 02:11 PM   #4
jppinto

Problem SOLVED!

As AaronP suggested, I reinstalled all xserver related packages and launched the NVIDIA 180 driver installer. Everything went smooth as silk.

Now I'll try the 185 driver to see if it fixes my Hue problem.
I don't know if I should post a thread on this, but I'll mention it here.

When I try to see a video (only videos), The HUE setting is not correct and all the colors get mixed up. To fix it, I just open NVIDIA Xserver Settings launch program and without doing ANYTHING the problem gets fixed for whatever movie its playing. Do you have any suggestion about that issue? Maybe the HUE setting is being re-defined somewhere else besides the NVIDIA program?

In any case... MAD PROPS TO YOU! I was starting to see my life before my eyes if I had to reinstall the OS to fix this issue!!!!

J
Old 05-24-09, 02:25 PM   #5
jppinto

I'll finish this thread saying that driver 185 solved the HUE problem.

Thanks again AaronP

J
Old 06-08-09, 04:10 PM   #6
denmich1997

Can either of you post what exactly you did to reinstall x and how. Having the same problem. Can install newest nvidia drivers in x64 but not in x32. I built a mediacenter to use boxee and its x32 so I need the drivers to work in that.
denmich1997 is offline   Reply With Quote