Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-04, 06:26 PM   #1
thadjudkins

Default No USB after a 2.6 upgrade

Hey, I'm running Fedora Core 1 on a nforce2 (asus) rig here. I did a manual upgrade to kernel 2.6 and everything has been beautiiful for the last couple of weeks. Well, until I tried to scan something in. After that wouldn't work and a bit of testing it turns out that USB isn't working at all. Any idea's?

Also, could anyone with 2.6 working on an nforce2 LMK what usb controller stuff is loading in your /etc/modules.conf, /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf.dist?

thanks

PS -- I'll post this over at nforcers linux too.
thadjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-04, 10:51 AM   #2
geowiz

Default The secret handshake in 2.6 is .....

2.6 has a number of changes as you note.... I found a similar issue but USB does work ;-) It just doesn't do it tranparently like it did in 2.4 .

Try loading the usb modules by hand and see if it works. I've gotten my Epson to scan that way. I haven't quite figured out how to get it all to load from the kernel like in 2.4 but since I use the scanner only a couple of times a month, it hasn't been high on my list of "to do's".

I also built the USB controler into my 2.6 kernel. Needed ? Not really but I got tired of manual loading of it ;-)

Anyway - try loading the modules by hand and see if it doesn't work. I'm sure someone else has solved the kernel loading issue but I haven't seen it yet ...

Good luck
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-04, 06:23 PM   #3
Slartibardfast

the 2.6 kernel has a different way of loading modules, it requires module-init-tools. It also has different names for the usb host controlers (which now take the form ehci-ucd, ohci-uch, uhci-ucd)

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799
http://www.fearthecow.net/index.pl?s...st&page=kernel
http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

while I was using fedora 1 a little while I found the above guides very helpful.

Good Luck
P.S. test1 of fedora 2 is out 02/02/2004
Slartibardfast is offline   Reply With Quote