Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-09, 03:17 AM   #1
stefan1975

Default laptop: docking station external monitor on nvidia linux will not work properly

Hi All,

I have a Dell precision m65 laptop that is running F11_x64 on with a nvidia quadro m350 videocard and the nonfree binary drivers from rpmfusion (180.51)

AT work I use my laptop docked with a samsung 24" widescreen monitor on 1920x1200 resolution, the same native resolution my laptop screen has.

For quite some time now and over quite a lot of distros I have been trying to get docking my laptop working properly, i.e. putting it in with the lid closed and get the boot-process and all other output redirected by default to my external monitor, however this has *never* worked properly. So it does not seem a fedora problem, I also had this on Arch or F10 and F9.

The only way i can get it to work somehwat is by using "nvidia-settings" (and thus creating an xorg.conf as well incidentally) and "cloning" my primary screen to the external monitor with twinview.. This gives me a proper image on the external screen, however it means that my laptop lid has to remain open in its dock since the TFT is a clone of the laptop and it means that I do not see the boot process at all since the TFT only kicks in after starting X and the nvidia driver.

Is there another way of doing this so I can use my dock like it is supposed to (i hardly dare say it .... but like it does in *cough*Windows*cough* on this very same laptop using either vista or XP)?

thanks,
stefan
stefan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:51 AM   #2
packermann

Default Re: laptop: docking station external monitor on nvidia linux will not work properly

You could use disper (http://willem.engen.nl/projects/disper/) to get on-the-fly monitor-switching. Regarding lid close you could find out what acpi-event is produced and "capture" it with udev where you can define a udev-rule, which fires up disper with your desired settings...
I've done that to get Fn/F7 (switch ext./int. monitor) working on my Thinkpad.
packermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:56 AM   #3
stefan1975

Default Re: laptop: docking station external monitor on nvidia linux will not work properly

shouldn't this work OOTB without udev catching? I consider this base functionality of a laptop. My colleagues running Vista always snicker when they see my opened laptop lid in my dock.

I had it working once with nvidia-settings by making the TFT a seperate X-screen instead of Twinview but somehow on 180.51 on F11 this does not work anymore.
Old 06-22-09, 01:10 PM   #4
stefan1975

well i recently got nvidia updates through rpmfusion, but docking with the lid closed it still a no-go for me. I also still can't view boot messages on my TFT. would really like to have this fixed.
Old 05-10-10, 11:00 PM   #5
N8N

Stefan,

Either I replied to you on Launchpad or there's three of us with the exact same problem! I posted some add'l info there and I'm copying it here as well because I am having what sounds like an identical problem:

I am having a similar issue on my Dell Precision M90 also in a Dell docking station using a Samsung P2570HD monitor. Fresh install from .iso of 10.04; however, I was having the same problems on 9.04 as well (I skipped over 9.10) With the laptop docked and the lid closed I have the exact same symptoms. I get BIOS, GRUB, Ubuntu splash and then external monitor goes dark when it switches over to login screen (is that the point when x starts?) If I do this in a dark room I can see that at the same time the monitor switches off, the laptop's LCD display turns on. I suspect the problem is with the nvidia proprietary drivers, however, as I have discovered the following:

- everything works perfectly with the nvidia proprietary drivers completely uninstalled, and the monitor connected with either a DVI or VGA cable.
- everything works perfectly with the "nvidia accelerated graphics driver (version 96)" installed, and the monitor connected with a VGA cable.
- the problem occurs with either "version 173" or "version current" with the VGA cable, and all three versions with the DVI cable.

I have not extensively tested this with either VGA or DVI (and obviously my keyboard and mouse) directly connected to the ports in the back of the laptop, although I can do so if desired as I am using USB connections for both. Currently I am running the DVI connection and the graphics drivers disabled, although I certainly would rather use 3d graphics. Workarounds are less than ideal as I have a small desk and am using the Dell monitor stand that holds the docking station and the laptop to save space. Also, using the DVI connection, the Fn-F8 switch ("LCD/CRT") does not work, although I'm not entirely certain that that's a real bug.

If you need any specific info about my setup or would like me to test more with the laptop *out* of the dock but with the lid closed just let me know. Unfortunately I suspect that this is likely a nvidia problem.

If I do need 3d acceleration I can use the VGA connection with the version 96 driver, but video quality is markedly better with DVI so I really wish that that worked...
N8N is offline   Reply With Quote