Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-09, 02:23 PM   #1
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Default Which Headphones

Just wondering.....

I am going to uni soon and thus my 5.1 system is not going to be the most convinent thing to have. I have around 100 (maybe more) to spend on some headphones.

I have done some quick googling and have come away reeling with information about amps etc etc.

Basically im looking for something that will:

Important:

Sound great for games
Decent enough movie playback
passable sound (rock, pop or whatever, nothing totally odd)

Not so important:

Doesnt leak to much sound.
Preferably keeps some noise out.

I dont really have the inclination to get going with things like amps and what not, so its just going to be plugged into an X-Fi.

My current "winner" from my limited research is the HD 595 headphones, though some people piss all over them in terms of their SQ.

Cheers
Old 06-10-09, 03:11 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: Which Headphones

Well the HD595's are pretty high end, and might require an AMP to really make use of them. I have the HD555's and they are very nice headphones.

Given your requirements I'd say even the HD555's will be far more than you've bargained for. They are really excellent quality and miles ahead of your typical $20 headphones.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:32 PM   #3
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Well the HD595's are pretty high end, and might require an AMP to really make use of them. I have the HD555's and they are very nice headphones.

Given your requirements I'd say even the HD555's will be far more than you've bargained for. They are really excellent quality and miles ahead of your typical $20 headphones.
Do the Sennheisers fit well? I had a pair of sennheisers before (cant remember the model number) and they hurt like mofo's.

I have somewhat big ears >_>
Old 06-10-09, 05:44 PM   #4
ninelven

These have an impedance of 38 ohms vs the 150 ohms of the HD595's, which could be useful if you are planning on using them on unamped sources.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audiotechnic...4672227&sr=1-1

There is also the Denon AH-D1001 with impedance of 32 ohms:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AH-D10...4672785&sr=1-1

The AKG 271 MK IIs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-2470Z001...4673285&sr=1-1

And if you want to splurge:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AH-D20...4673771&sr=1-1

Of course, the 595's should be fine with your X-Fi, but I doubt they would do well on any sort of mobile device.
ninelven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 06:25 PM   #5
Bman212121

Hmm well the HD555s and the HD595s are both over the ear, so they are more than big enough to fit around my ears comfortably. YMMV though I guess. You need to break them in though IMO as they have a firm grip around your head when you first get them. once they are opened up a little they are much nicer to wear.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 06:34 PM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Turtle beach makes some excellent headsets as well.

Their 5.1 configs have pretty solid sound reproduction and the price is not ridiculous.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 07:14 PM   #7
Toss3
.<<o>>.

I just got the Sony MDR-XB700 after using my Sennheiser 595s for awhile and they, to me, sound much better. They have a very warm sound and there is BASS(something that is seriously lacking on the 595s)! They are very detailed, although slightly less so than the 595, but they aren't as analytical and thus won't tire your ears after listening to music for hours straight(mids aren't the best I've heard, but they are pretty equal in this regard, with the 595 having a slight edge).

They are closed(but still manage to provide one of the largest sound stages I've heard) so no bothering any possible roommates and they come equipped with very large pads so they are comfy even after long sessions of playing.

The sonys are also easier to drive due to the lower impedance, so you won't need a separate headphone amp for them to sound good.

You won't be wearing them in public though and the cable is pretty short, but the Sennheiser's won't win any beauty-contests either and you'll need an adapter in order to connect them to your mp3 player.

I liked the Sennheisers better for classical and acoustic music, but for everything else the sony has the senns beaten hands down and for gaming there's no question which of the two sounds better.

Do visit the Head-Fi forum for more advise on which headphones to get as it's are by far the best place to get decent guidance!
Old 06-11-09, 06:06 AM   #8
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I just got the Sony MDR-XB700 after using my Sennheiser 595s for awhile and they, to me, sound much better. They have a very warm sound and there is BASS(something that is seriously lacking on the 595s)! They are very detailed, although slightly less so than the 595, but they aren't as analytical and thus won't tire your ears after listening to music for hours straight(mids aren't the best I've heard, but they are pretty equal in this regard, with the 595 having a slight edge).

They are closed(but still manage to provide one of the largest sound stages I've heard) so no bothering any possible roommates and they come equipped with very large pads so they are comfy even after long sessions of playing.

The sonys are also easier to drive due to the lower impedance, so you won't need a separate headphone amp for them to sound good.

You won't be wearing them in public though and the cable is pretty short, but the Sennheiser's won't win any beauty-contests either and you'll need an adapter in order to connect them to your mp3 player.

I liked the Sennheisers better for classical and acoustic music, but for everything else the sony has the senns beaten hands down and for gaming there's no question which of the two sounds better.

Do visit the Head-Fi forum for more advise on which headphones to get as it's are by far the best place to get decent guidance!
Thanks for the lengthy suggestions, its definitely given food for thought as the MDR-XB700 only cost like 70 where as the HD 595 are clocking in at 100 approx.

If you cant really rate the HD 595 over headphones at 2/3rds of the price, im not sure they are worth it. 0_o.

I won't be using the headphones on anything but my X-Fi (possibly plugged into my Z-5500 headphone socket when im back at home)

Ill look at that forum now , thanks for the link.

Old 06-11-09, 10:54 PM   #9
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

555s.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 11:35 PM   #10
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Apparently Monster/Dr Dre Beats are meant to be a good set... If your budget extends that far...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 01:09 AM   #11
a12ctic

280Pros, the 555's leak sound.

If you're doing to be in a dorm you definitely need a pair of closed headphones.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-budget/80-150/

very useful website.
Old 06-12-09, 05:14 AM   #12
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
555s.
Im tempted. though Im the sort of person that would probably regret not going for the HD 595's . Is the lack in difference in quality that apparent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Apparently Monster/Dr Dre Beats are meant to be a good set... If your budget extends that far...
They look nice, but are over twice the price as the HD 595's . If I prehaps sell my Z-5500, then maybe I might be able to justify them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
280Pros, the 555's leak sound.

If you're doing to be in a dorm you definitely need a pair of closed headphones.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-budget/80-150/

very useful website.
Thanks for the info on the 555's. Browsing the site now.

BTw, whats the difference between 150ohms and 50ohms? There are two versions of the HD 595 to buy. Is the 150 woth it over 50 or is it calculated differently?

thanks