Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-09, 09:02 AM   #1
dr_asfak

Default Latest nvidia cards, legacy in future, and no more supported

I am frustrated Nvidia user. My current card geforce2 is no more actively supported. I have been waiting for nvidia to release 71.86 drivers supporting xorg 1.5 and 1.6. Now the developers are not at all interested and replies that the drivers will be released as it is ready. It's 6 months now since xorg 1.5 and no release. I am forced to use Windows which i never liked.

Now i am planning to buy new PC, but i will stay away from Nvdia. Newer card would be legacy in next few years and will be supported only if developers has time for that. We will have to beg again and again. These people are never going to opensource their driver putting a lame excuses.

Think about your future before buying Nvidia card. Be a member of this forum, keep on complaining and become frustrated like me.

Sorry developers.
dr_asfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:13 AM   #2
yamane

Default Re: Latest nvidia cards, legacy in future, and no more supported

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_asfak View Post
...and will be supported only if developers has time for that...
Is very easy fix this problem:
Open the drivers that is "not supported anymore".
http://www.opentheblob.com/nvidia/in...natures=normal

Best regards,
Renato
yamane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 03:20 PM   #3
Dâniel Fraga

Send a message via ICQ to Dâniel Fraga Send a message via MSN to Dâniel Fraga Send a message via Yahoo to Dâniel Fraga Send a message via Skype™ to Dâniel Fraga

In the future, once ATI/AMD free drivers gets mature, it will be the way to go. It's a question of time...
Dâniel Fraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 04:35 PM   #4
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Wouldn't driver "nv" support gf2 cards? Or at least vesa? I can't imagine that any 3D app today would get very far on a gf2. That's not even legacy hardware, that's like classic collectors' item now...
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 05:21 PM   #5
Linuxhippy

I really recommend Nouveau, it even provides basic EXA 2D accaleration.
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 02:12 AM   #6
mauve

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Wouldn't driver "nv" support gf2 cards? Or at least vesa? I can't imagine that any 3D app today would get very far on a gf2. That's not even legacy hardware, that's like classic collectors' item now...
That's no reason to break what used to work. I played QIII on a gf2, and with some friends we still indulge in retro death matches on maps we all know the ins and outs, just for that "you old rascal" bits we love. You know, this warm feeling of common shared memories.
mauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:03 AM   #7
mick232

People who only use 2D could still use their legacy cards if they had decent drivers. The performance is more than enough for 2D. But why would they buy new cards then?

I have a not so old card (GF 5200), which is already legacy. If you look into online shops, FX 5xxx cards are still sold today... legacy products still sold. Something is very wrong with NVidia's drivers policy.

But, no ship is unsinkable... in fact, NVidia is already under heavy pressure, and this driver policy won't make things better.
mick232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 04:32 AM   #8
Kirurgs

One point of view is what You share as a customer, no support for legacy etc. which is understandable...
But hey, linux is not helping HW companies to write their drivers either... Out of a sudden they may introduce new API to handle this and that, change existing stuff and so on... Kernel changes, xorg too, they invent smth every half a year or so... It might be ok to change stuff in more or less efficient way for recent graphic processors as they share functionality, but older ones are designed completely different, so it requires additional effort to maintain that to current xorg and kernel versions...
If You look at the M$ camp, they have an api that is stable and HW companies know that this driver will last for some time... There will be no "oops, we changed that" after half a year or so...
Of course, for us, consumers, it doesn't help at all, but linux is special case, so we need to face consequences...
AMD is releasing specs which will help OS community to maintain driver for a lot longer than AMD will do or want to do for themselves, that's why I'm looking in their way... As for recent cards (>8xxx) / drivers (>=180.25) nVidia is more or less ok...
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-09, 05:40 AM   #9
mick232

So Linux doesn't help driver developers? Come on, the community develops many drivers themselves. But if the specs are kept secret, how are they supposed to do that?

So the MS API is stable? No it isn't. With Vista they introduced WDDM 1.0 which was a radical change in the API for graphics drivers. Now (Win7) they introduced WDDM 1.1 plus Direct2D, again requiring massive changes.
mick232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 07:35 AM   #10
Big P

A number of Geforce 2 cards are listed as supported in the 96.43.xx driver README:
Quote:
GeForce2 MX/MX 400 0x0110
GeForce2 MX 100/200 0x0111
GeForce2 Go 0x0112
GeForce2 Integrated GPU 0x01A0
Have you tried those drivers?
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 01:01 PM   #11
dr_asfak

Any news on tentative date of xorg 1.6 compatible nvidia 71.86 drivers ? please please atleasr I need that.

GeForce2 Integrated GPU 0x01A0 is mentioned in 96xx supported list. I have this GPU in my Asus A7N266-Vm motherboard which never works. 71.86 used to work uptill xorg 1.4. These has been discussed earlier in other topics with bug reports but no improvement was ever made. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ight=a7n266-vm

I know the answers of developer would be "as and when it is ready". But it has been one year since the incompatibility started.

As of Nouvea, 2d is great, glxgears is double than NV, but no 3D yet, could not change display resolutions (Ubuntu Intrepid with nouveau drivers from official repo).

Asfak
Old 06-13-09, 10:02 AM   #12
dr_asfak

any news on newer 71xx driver compatible with 1.6 xorg. ?