Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-09, 06:27 AM   #1
theDOC

Default VDPAU and overclocking

Hi,

I have a mainboard with an 8200 igp (namely the asus m3n78-vm) and I want to overclock it a bit, to improve VDPAU performance. My question is, what has more affect on VDPAU, to change the shader clock or the gpu clock?
theDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 05:50 AM   #2
piotro

Default Re: VDPAU and overclocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDOC View Post
Hi,

I have a mainboard with an 8200 igp (namely the asus m3n78-vm) and I want to overclock it a bit, to improve VDPAU performance. My question is, what has more affect on VDPAU, to change the shader clock or the gpu clock?
Hi !
I'm really interested in this topic.

Basically I see 2 methods:
-BIOS
-nvidia-settings

For nvidia-settings method:
I already have some attempts (see my pots at: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=134373)

For BIOS option:
I tried to do overclocking on Gigabyte GA-M85M-US2H as this mobo has "VGA core clock" overclocking in BIOS. Unfortunately it seems to have no any effect on VDPAU measured via qvdpautest tool. I already contected GIGABYTE about BIOS error. They don't believe me, told about not supporting Linux and asked me for switch to Windows. Excellent support, isn't ?

I'm wonder - are You already able to modify 2D/3D clocks in Your ASUS mobo ?
If so - how You do this ?

For VDPAU overclocking: I believe video decoder is linked to 2D clock, while deniterlacers are linked to 3D clock (shaders).

br
piotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 05:53 AM   #3
thefirstm

I am interested in how you can separately modify those clocks as well. In nvidia-settings, I only see GPU and RAM.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 06:06 AM   #4
etlamo

I think VDPAU and shaders are relatively independent: running CUDA and VDPAU tasks simultaneously does not affect performance of each other. So IMHO GPU clock affects VDPAU performance more than shader clock.
etlamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 06:45 AM   #5
theDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
I am interested in how you can separately modify those clocks as well. In nvidia-settings, I only see GPU and RAM.
I can modify those clocks in the mainboard bios

Is there some kind of VDPAU benchmark, to see if the clock changes do anything?
Old 06-15-09, 06:50 AM   #6
RiyaNidhi
*BANNED*

RiyaNidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 07:22 AM   #7
piotro

Quote:

Is there some kind of VDPAU benchmark, to see if the clock changes do anything?
IMHO best way is to use qvdpautest. See:
http://hftom.free.fr/qvdpautest-0.3.tar.gz for tool download and http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133465
for testing results.

BTW: I had this mobo sometime ago. Was forced to sell it as it had problems with suspend2ram under Linux. Are You using suspend2ram ?.
Old 06-15-09, 08:07 AM   #8
theDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotro View Post
IMHO best way is to use qvdpautest. See:
http://hftom.free.fr/qvdpautest-0.3.tar.gz for tool download and http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133465
for testing results.
nice, I will try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotro View Post
BTW: I had this mobo sometime ago. Was forced to sell it as it had problems with suspend2ram under Linux. Are You using suspend2ram ?.
Yes, got it working a few days ago. I had to disable message signaled interrupts (MSI), otherwise the harddrive wouldn't wake up on resume. I also disabled in-kernel agpgart to use NvAGP, don't know if that step was needed though.

Old 06-15-09, 09:04 AM   #9
piotro

Quote:
nice, I will try that

Yes, got it working a few days ago. I had to disable message signaled interrupts (MSI), otherwise the harddrive wouldn't wake up on resume. I also disabled in-kernel agpgart to use NvAGP, don't know if that step was needed though.
Is it mobo reliable with S2Ram and attached USB device configured as enabled for S3 ?

Mine was - but only when no IR USB was attached on suspend. With attached MCE IR USB dongle - only 1 S2Ram cycle was possible. Every consecutive cycle ended with immediate resume. Disconnecting USB IR gives reliable S2Ram. I tried 3 different kernels (.25, .26., 27) and every BIOS release.

As I'm using MCE USB to power-on from suspend - this issue marked this mobo as nonaceptable for me....

br
Old 06-15-09, 10:07 AM   #10
theDOC

I didn't test that much, but it survived several cycles with a Webcam plugged in. I don't use an IR USB device, I use the port from my dvb-t card. Don't know, if it is able to wake up the pc, I guess not...

I did some clocking: http://pastebin.com/f1cac7547
As you can see, the results are exactly as piotro predicted:
Quote:
For VDPAU overclocking: I believe video decoder is linked to 2D clock, while deniterlacers are linked to 3D clock (shaders).