Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-09, 06:27 AM   #1
ozgta

Default Nvidia driver not recognized in Hardware Drivers

Hi,
I have Ubuntu Hardy Heron installed on two partitions.
Just upgraded the motherboard and installed GForce 9400GT
When I go to >System>Administration>Hardware Drivers the graphics card is not listed.
I decided to reinstall the operating system on one of the partitions thinking that the card would then have to be recognized, however it's still not listed.

I haven't had much experience with graphics cards but have always found them listed in Hardware Drivers so it's always been easy.

I have searched and 9400GT is recognized by Linux.

Has anyone else had this experience and found an answer?
ozgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 07:58 AM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: Nvidia driver not recognized in Hardware Drivers

Hardy is rather old. Have you tried a newer one like Jaunty?
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 04:50 PM   #3
ozgta

I've tried Intrepid and Jaunty however I keep coming back to Hardy 'cause it's well hardy...fewer bugs...I wondered if it may have been an age thing, I'll just live without a graphics card, thanks..
Old 06-17-09, 05:24 PM   #4
thefirstm

What bugs, exactly, are causing you problems in Intrepid and Jaunty? Have you tried filing bug reports on Launchpad? The problem you are experiencing under Hardy is that the version of the nvidia driver included under Hardy is too old to support your graphics card. Hardy also used a significantly different system for packaging the Nvidia drivers, so I am unable to provide updates in my PPA.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 05:30 PM   #5
mocharhw

I would suggest to use Jaunty and then search the launchpad PPAs for one of numerous nice people which have provided PPAs with a multitude of different versions of nvidia binary drivers. There are 2 specific launchpad PPA search engines out there, although I'm not at my main computer right now and don't have the URL. Try googling for ppa search engine.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 06:03 PM   #6
ozgta

thefirstm; The bugs are known already, mostly with Kompozer and a couple of sound recording applications.

mocharhw; showing my ignorance here, what are PPA's?
Old 06-18-09, 01:47 AM   #7
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgta View Post
thefirstm; The bugs are known already, mostly with Kompozer and a couple of sound recording applications.

mocharhw; showing my ignorance here, what are PPA's?
PPA = Personal Package Archive

It's a place where private persons can maintain their own packages and post them in a repository. This way you can get updates to those packages as addition to Ubuntu's own. An example would be that if someone finds a bug in eg. Kompozer wants to patch it for a specific release and not wait for the patch to get imported upstream and then imported into the specific Ubuntu release (if ever). He/she can just create a PPA with the patched source/package and the Launchpad servers will then rebuild it automatically for various platforms and submit it to the PPA's repo.

Like this :
https://launchpad.net/~giuseppe-iuculano/+archive/ppa

I'm also a little interested in which bugs excactly you are refering to.. This way you can get the bugs elevated to get fixed.
Old 06-18-09, 04:01 AM   #8
ozgta

thanks for that, had a quick look, it's a bit over my head however I'll follow it through,
I think with Interpid using KompoZer the program would shut down when the mouse pointed on certain tool bar items, and the Rhythmbox Equalizer add-on wouldn't work, when I searched them I found heaps of bug reports about both, and Jaunty I may have been unfair to because I can't now remember, I didn't have it installed for a short while....my apologies Jaunty users, I'll reinstall and have another look

Old 06-18-09, 05:13 AM   #9
Lithorus

Quote:
thanks for that, had a quick look, it's a bit over my head however I'll follow it through,
I think with Interpid using KompoZer the program would shut down when the mouse pointed on certain tool bar items, and the Rhythmbox Equalizer add-on wouldn't work, when I searched them I found heaps of bug reports about both, and Jaunty I may have been unfair to because I can't now remember, I didn't have it installed for a short while....my apologies Jaunty users, I'll reinstall and have another look
As for the equalizer in rhytmbox look here :

http://www.deviantdark.altervista.org/?p=438

Just tested it and it works, although you have to restart rhytmbox to make the changes stick. On a side note I can mention that Banshee is supposed to replace rhytmbox in general and this does have a builtin equalizer.
Old 06-18-09, 05:47 AM   #10
ozgta

I did that, the equalizer is there and the faders moved, however there was no change to the sound...thanks for the mention of Banshee I'll have a look
Old 06-18-09, 11:13 PM   #11
Lithorus

Quote:
I did that, the equalizer is there and the faders moved, however there was no change to the sound...thanks for the mention of Banshee I'll have a look
I was not clear enough. You have to restart rhytmbox to make the sound change.
Old 06-19-09, 12:57 AM   #12
ozgta

you were clear on that, I failed to mention that I tried the restart, I played with it for a few days so there were heaps of restarts...thanks