Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-09, 11:29 AM   #1
primerib

Default deinterlace & color problems with 185.18.14 (w/screenshots)

I've noticed a problem where not all frames are being deinterlaced and there is a lot of purple/ghosting happening. I've spoken with the xine devs and after looking at the mpeg-ts sample I provided them, they said this appeared to be a driver bug and I should post a report here including screenshots.

The problem exists regardless of whether or not ivtc is enabled, and the problem is more prominent with the higher grade deinterlacers but happens with all deinterlacers.

Some system info:
Debian Linux
Kernel 2.6.30
Nvidia driver 185.18.14
MSI NX8400GS-TD512EH video card
xine-vdpau tree revision 271

Please let me know if more info is needed. I've upload two samples to partners.ftp.nvidia.com named ultimate_fighter_00001.ts and ultimate_fighter_00002.ts

Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (23.9 KB, 66 views)
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 03:41 PM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: deinterlace & color problems with 185.18.14 (w/screenshots)

I believe this is a xine bug.

What's happening is xine isn't requesting the inverse telecine feature when creating the VdpVideoMixer. However, it later attempts to enable a bunch of video mixer features, including invtc. Because invtc is invalid, none of the requested features are set, hence weave "de-interlacing" is active.

P.S. The screenshots you linked to time out when attempting to download.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 04:57 PM   #3
crisalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post

What's happening is xine isn't requesting the inverse telecine feature when creating the VdpVideoMixer.
This is fixed since r263.
I have reproduced the problem with a G98 8400gs. For me, disabling ivtc solved.
crisalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 05:13 PM   #4
crisalide

Sorry, since r267.
Old 06-17-09, 05:31 PM   #5
primerib

Quote:

What's happening is xine isn't requesting the inverse telecine feature when creating the VdpVideoMixer. However, it later attempts to enable a bunch of video mixer features, including invtc. Because invtc is invalid, none of the requested features are set, hence weave "de-interlacing" is active.
That sounds like it makes sense but I guess it's already been fixed. Could you have a look at the two samples I've uploaded and see what you get?

Quote:
P.S. The screenshots you linked to time out when attempting to download.
Not sure why that would be, they come up fine here (and for others who tested). Maybe try going to the url directly? http://home.comcast.net/~derek.kelly/105.png

Thanks for the quick response with this problem!
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 10:43 AM   #6
Stephen Warren

I just built latest xine SVN, and it seems that the Xlib/xcb locking deadlock is back. Is there some X function that isn't wrapped with XLockDisplay, or whatever the workaround was?
Old 06-18-09, 10:52 AM   #7
crisalide

Quote:
I just built latest xine SVN, and it seems that the Xlib/xcb locking deadlock is back. Is there some X function that isn't wrapped with XLockDisplay, or whatever the workaround was?
If you still have a buggy libx11/xcb, you want to define LOCKDISPLAY at line 55 in video_out_vdpau.c
Old 06-18-09, 11:55 AM   #8
Stephen Warren

For some reason, the images are blocked at work; they downloaded OK from home...

A few more questions re: the issue:
1) How were the screenshots grabbed? It seems like when playback is paused, xine displays a non-deinterlaced version of the picture even if deinterlacing is enabled?
2) When the problem occurs for you, is xine dropping frames, or is playback smooth?
3) Can you describe the problem a little more; is the purple fringing something constant, or does it appear and disappear? Does the color change? Also, from the screenshots, it looks like deinterlacing is always working (i.e. there aren't any weave/feathering artifacts); the problem is that there are a lot of color artifacts caused by the deinterlacing process?

A few questions on xine usage:
1) Is there a frame-by-frame step option in xine, and in particular one that doesn't disable deinterlacing?
2) Is there a way to tell xine never to drop frames? The test card I'm using right now (to match your setup better) can't support temporal-spatial at full frame rate on this resolution.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-09, 12:04 PM   #9
Stephen Warren

I think I might be reproducing the problem; I'm definitely seeing some strange color issues with deinterlacing turned on.

My initial suspicion is that when xine drops frames (to maintain AV sync), it doesn't reset the list of fields passed into the video mixer. i.e. if the display order list of fields is 0..19, but 10..13 are dropped to maintain sync, then the list of fields passed to the mixer when deinterlacing field 14 should include 12,13, for the "previous" fields (or possibly nothing if that's difficult, but that'd cause a temporary drop to a lower deinterlacing algorithm), not the most recently actually displayed fields 8,9.

crisalide, does the above issue exist in xine?
Old 06-18-09, 12:28 PM   #10
crisalide

Quote:
For some reason, the images are blocked at work; they downloaded OK from home...

A few more questions re: the issue:
1) How were the screenshots grabbed? It seems like when playback is paused, xine displays a non-deinterlaced version of the picture even if deinterlacing is enabled?
Yes, when paused, the image isn't deinterlaced. (I will try to fix this, but there is some problem with some DVD menus looking ugly if deinterlaced)

Quote:
A few questions on xine usage:
1) Is there a frame-by-frame step option in xine, and in particular one that doesn't disable deinterlacing?
No, but you can play in slow/fast motion. Default shortcut in xine-ui is key_down (hit twice for slowest) and key_up.

Quote:
2) Is there a way to tell xine never to drop frames?
No.
Old 06-18-09, 12:37 PM   #11
crisalide

Quote:
I think I might be reproducing the problem; I'm definitely seeing some strange color issues with deinterlacing turned on.

My initial suspicion is that when xine drops frames (to maintain AV sync), it doesn't reset the list of fields passed into the video mixer. i.e. if the display order list of fields is 0..19, but 10..13 are dropped to maintain sync, then the list of fields passed to the mixer when deinterlacing field 14 should include 12,13, for the "previous" fields (or possibly nothing if that's difficult, but that'd cause a temporary drop to a lower deinterlacing algorithm), not the most recently actually displayed fields 8,9.

crisalide, does the above issue exist in xine?
Yes, when xine drops frames, these frames are simply never passed to vo driver, so for the vo, the deint "previous frame" is always the latest displayed frame.
Old 06-18-09, 12:44 PM   #12
crisalide

One more point:

Atm, i'm using the 9500gt. When i downclock it from 550 to 137Mhz, it gives the same mixer perfs as 8400gs, and of course xine drops frames with temporal_spatial. But i don't see any artefact.
(Also note that with ivtc, even temporal isn't fast enougth.)