Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-18-09, 01:55 PM   #1
tww1fa

Default Driver detects double the amount of memory on the card?

I recently picked up a SPARKLE SFPX95GT512U2HP GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card card for my dedicated MythTV front end. All seems to work fine, but when I'm looking in Xorg.0.log I see the following:

(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 9500 GT (G96) at PCI:2:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 1048576 kBytes

Note the Memory line - it's saying that it has twice the memory that it's supposed to have.

Is the driver detecting the memory incorrectly, or did I actually get a 1G card?

This is on an 8200IGP based motherboard - I told the BIOS to initialize the 9500 GT first and set the memory allocated to the 8200 to the minimum possible (32M.)

My nvidia-bug-report.log.gz is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (25.3 KB, 83 views)
tww1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 02:53 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Driver detects double the amount of memory on the card?

The amount of memory reported includes system memory available to the GPU; the excerpt below is from the nvidia-settings help text, which is applicable to this case:
Memory

This is the overall amount of memory available to your GPU. With TurboCache(TM) GPUs, this value may exceed the amount of video memory installed on the graphics card. With integrated GPUs, the value may exceed the amount of dedicated system memory set aside by the system BIOS for use by the integrated GPU.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 03:19 PM   #3
tww1fa

Default Re: Driver detects double the amount of memory on the card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
The amount of memory reported includes system memory available to the GPU; the excerpt below is from the nvidia-settings help text, which is applicable to this case:
Memory

This is the overall amount of memory available to your GPU. With TurboCache(TM) GPUs, this value may exceed the amount of video memory installed on the graphics card. With integrated GPUs, the value may exceed the amount of dedicated system memory set aside by the system BIOS for use by the integrated GPU.
Ah - that explains everything. Thanks!
tww1fa is offline   Reply With Quote