Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-18-09, 08:48 PM   #1
pauljohn

Default Ubuntu 9.04, nvidia 185.18.14: Can't log out nicely

Have you seen this? This is a new problem with 185.18.14. I have a Lenovo T61 laptop with Nvidia NVS 140M. (Is that "higher" or "lower" than GeForce 8? who knows )

The Nvidia driver works well once--I log in, all OK. When I log out, the X server has a "spasm" when it tries to create the login screen. Nvidia tries to load twice, I see the Nvidia splash screen, and then the system stops for a long time, then it offers a failsafe start. I can log in running the "vesa" driver in 800x600 mode, and the error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old says a video driver is already running.

I'm running the Compiz Window Manager with compositing. Is it it blame?

The versions of the drivers I'm using were installed from the Debian packages here:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu jaunty main
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (36.9 KB, 66 views)
pauljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 08:06 AM   #2
xandey

Default Re: Ubuntu 9.04, nvidia 185.18.14: Can't log out nicely

I can confirm that the same behaviour exists on the T61p with the same drivers and the Quadro FX 570M.

I found this happened with many of the drivers. Although I can't remember exactly which ones. I don't think logout has worked with any drivers.
xandey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 08:54 AM   #3
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: Ubuntu 9.04, nvidia 185.18.14: Can't log out nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljohn View Post
Have you seen this? This is a new problem with 185.18.14. I have a Lenovo T61 laptop with Nvidia NVS 140M. (Is that "higher" or "lower" than GeForce 8? who knows )
After an immense ammount of time spent (2 Minutes) everybody should be able to know that it is a GF8400M.

For the rest:

The problem is that the driver takes about 15 seconds to reload, which is too much for gdm or kdm. You have to increase the timeout value of gdm/kdm in order to get it to work.

This problem does not exist with 180.60, nvidia is aware of it but unfortunately refused to fix it until now. Which is a shame, as it is a known bug which was fixed for 180.60, but not ported to new drivers.

Either increase the timeout or install 180.60.

Kind regards,

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote