Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-18-03, 12:29 PM   #49
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

Typedef, if I recall correctly, you need to go into UT's console (~, then type "preferences") and enable a flag for VB (vertex buffering) on the board. This allows UT to create a hardware vertex buffer, which should allow AA to work in D3D.
Oh,..it is also much smoother and faster when you do this.

I just cannot recall the exact flag name, but I do remember that VB was part of the description.
Skuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 12:56 PM   #50
Brian3DGPU

Send a message via AIM to Brian3DGPU

I have to agree with Mike...

I currently have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB in my machine at home, and it is a monstrous beast. The AA quality is noticeably better than that of the Nvidia cards, and it screams with AF/AA turned on.

I had tried a Raeon 8500 when they were released as my first ATI card, and as a result sworn them off, but with the AA advantages I had seen when doing my 5600U review, I had to give it a try, and I love it.

Don't get me wrong, I still love NVIDIA cards and can't wait to check out the 5900 non-Ultra, as I think it will be a great price-performance card, but the R3xx series of ATI cards are great...

I have known Mike for awhile and have met him in person a few times (what an "old man" ) and I feel he is much like me, he wants the best performance, no matter who makes it...
http://www.3dgpu.com
brian.evans@3dgpu.com
Brian3DGPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 01:35 PM   #51
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian3DGPU
I feel he is much like me, he wants the best performance, no matter who makes it...
It's really a shame that there are a whole lot of folks who don't think this way. I used to be one one them. I had a similar bad experience with the Radeon 8500 but then I tried out a modded 9500 (OC'd to close to 9700 Pro specs) and that card was amazing. Just like my current 9800, totally blows my FX5800 out of the water in terms of visual quality and performance.

People should just buy the best cards they can afford that work for their games. If it's ATI, great, if it's NVIDIA that's cool too.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 01:38 PM   #52
Hellbinder

hey Mike... Terry Makedon A.K.A. Catalyst Maker (ATi Software Products Manager) posted this at Rage3d in the thread about you getting an Ati card...

Quote:
Now if only i can convince you guys to start up a site called ATinews.com hmmmm????
To which i replied..
Quote:
I tell you what. All you have to do is send those guys some ATi Swag and some Video cards. MikeC was already considering starting a new Domain anyway

I dont think Nvidia has sent them anything free for a while now.. hint hint..
hehehe.. Perhaps they will give you guys the full Treatment.. hehehe
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 02:53 PM   #53
Typedef Enum

I wish I could see the email that Brian Burke is going to send MikeC...

I will bet the farm that he won't be very happy
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 02:57 PM   #54
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
I wish I could see the email that Brian Burke is going to send MikeC...

I will bet the farm that he won't be very happy
Oh no, Brian writes VERY happy e-mails!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 03:57 PM   #55
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

How on earth would you know that DW.

So many people like these 9X00s... and I still haven't seen one in action. The more I hear about it, the more I wish I could get one.
Quinn1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 04:05 PM   #56
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Quinn1981
How on earth would you know that DW.

So many people like these 9X00s... and I still haven't seen one in action. The more I hear about it, the more I wish I could get one.
Uhm...dumb question and one I probably shouldn't be asking here, but did you ever shoot off an e-mail to ATi's PR department and just ask 'em for one? They're good folk there, they might just surprise ya.

There always willing to show a site owner their new face, but you really gotta write them and ask.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 06-18-03, 05:25 PM   #57
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

That is one hell of a pretty card I'm gonna go hug my 9700 again for a bit
Old 06-18-03, 05:37 PM   #58
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
That is one hell of a pretty card I'm gonna go hug my 9700 again for a bit
WHEN did you get that 9700 Vamp, and have ya tried animusic yet?
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 06-18-03, 05:43 PM   #59
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Thanks. I'll certainly be conducting overclocking tests! That window unit A/C can get the temperature in the computer room down to 60 Fahrenheit (15 Celsius) when I close the door

hmmm... there's only one word that comes to mind @ that temperature mike...

SHRINKAGE !!!

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 05:46 PM   #60
IISquintsII

LOL, is this some kind of coming out party? I hope your parents dont disown you!
IISquintsII is offline   Reply With Quote