Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-27-09, 01:55 PM   #1
Medion

Default Question regarding Windows Upgrade

I currently run Vista Ultimate (32-bit) OEM. I plan to move to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I know that you cannot do an in place upgrade from 32 to 64. However, I wanted to do a clean format and install anyway.

When you purchase the upgrade version, what does it do to verify that you own the previous version? What are the limitations? I would rather get the Windows 7 Home Premium $49.99 discounted price, over the $199.99 retail price, if at all possible.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 02:27 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Question regarding Windows Upgrade

you can only go from concurrent versions, meaning from ultimate 64 to ultimate 64, hp 32 to hp 32 etc...

so you are going to run into two issues, 1, 32/64 bit and diffrent versions. Upgrade process requires previous OS to be already installed.

but there is a simple workaround. Buy what ever version of Win7 you want. Install that version on your PC, clean install. When installer ask for CD-Key, don't enter it, on next screen choose the correct version. When installer is done, insert the DVD again and select upgrade. Then enter your CD-Key, and do the install process again.

That is the only way.
Old 06-27-09, 05:25 PM   #3
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
but there is a simple workaround. Buy what ever version of Win7 you want. Install that version on your PC, clean install. When installer ask for CD-Key, don't enter it, on next screen choose the correct version. When installer is done, insert the DVD again and select upgrade. Then enter your CD-Key, and do the install process again.

That is the only way.
Are you positive this works and how do you know it works like that for Win 7? I believe that's how it worked for Vista but it may have changed with the Windows 7.

Edit: I did find this link which supports wht you said
http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...-upgrades.aspx
Old 06-27-09, 07:02 PM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

yes it will work
Old 06-29-09, 10:01 PM   #5
Proff

I have read a lot about Win7 upgrade and doing a clean install. I am starting to get confused. Right now I am running Win7 RC on my Computer. Does this mean that I will have to reinstall Vista Home Premium to use the upgrade or will this work the same as the install of a Vista upgrade install? You install Vista upgrade on a bare drive then reinstall again only using the install key. If this can't be done then I am going to wait and get the retail version of Win7.
Proff is offline   Reply With Quote