Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-03, 07:24 AM   #1
burnou7

Send a message via Yahoo to burnou7
Default Blank Screen with Nvidia Drivers

I just bought a Soyo KT400 MB, 1024 Meg Ram, GeForce 4 Ti 4600 and am trying to install Mandrake 9.1 Linux. There are framebuffer issues with Mandrake 9.1, Nvidia cards with 128 meg memory and more than 1 gig of ram but I used a patch in order to install Linux and bypass the framebuffer issues. Now, the only problem is that I get a completely blank screen when trying to start X using the Nvidia drivers. I have tried several of the suggestions here. Counting down:
1. Tried turning off APIC in the BIOS, the computer hangs on boot and won't boot up at all. That includes WinXP as well as Linux.
2. Added the Options ConnectedMonitor CRT and IgnoreDisplayDevices - With these options enabled, I get a powerdown of the monitor after starting x. APM appears to be telling the monitor there is no signal and it goes into shutdown mode.
3. Added NvAgp 0-3 settings, same results no matter how these are set. I don't get errors no matter what settings I use and AGP is reported correctly in the Xfree log from 1x through 4x however it is set in the BIOS. So I don't think that is the problem.
4. I am using the preinstalled Nvidia Driver that comes with Mandrake 9.1 in the boxed set but have previously upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver via installation shell. I don't see a difference.

I have attached my Xfree logs and config file. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would REALLY appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xfree86.zip (5.6 KB, 114 views)
burnou7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 07:47 AM   #2
kudrash

Default same trouble with same GF4 Ti4200

i've got same problem with GF4 Ti4200 (asus V9280/td) on intel OR840 with two PIII-1GHz, 512Mb RAM and installed RedHat 9 with latest NVidia driver
kudrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 10:07 AM   #3
burnou7

Default Blank Screen with Nvidia Drivers

Well, thanks for the update. I download Redhat 9 ISO's yesterday and was going to try to install Redhat if I couldn't get Mandrake working but if you are having the same problem with Redhat, there is no point in trying that.

Anybody else have any suggestions for this?

One thing that I am seeing, it appears when I use the ConnectedMonitor Option and IgnoreDisplayDevices option that my monitor loses the signal from the video card and goes directly into powersave mode. The green light turns orange the same way it does when DPMS shuts the display down on a timeout. When I leave those options out, I get a blank screen but the display light stays green. I am positively sure that I am using the CRT display because I use an analog 15 pin vga connector and there is nothing connected to TV out or DVI pin on the card. Is it possible that these options are incorrect or I am using them incorrectly?
Old 06-17-03, 04:44 PM   #4
Gyokuran

Here are some more suggestions to try out:

1. Make sure to disable the kernel's AGP support before turning on Nvidia's AGP driver (nvagp 1). Otherwise it won't work.

2. Try to insert "pci=noacpi" into the append string in /etc/lilo.conf.
Gyokuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 06:35 PM   #5
burnou7

Angry Didn't work

I followed your instructions exactly, removed agpgart by moving the module out to a backup directory in home, put the changes in modules.conf and added the lines to lilo and ran lilo to put it into the mbr. No luck, I still get a completely blank screen.

So far nothing. I have tried the KT400 fix that Andy posted, nada, and yours, also nada. I have tried to turn off AGP, use Nvidias, use agpgart, every possible variation and still nothing. I just get a blank screen.
Old 06-18-03, 01:53 AM   #6
kudrash

Default so, i solve my problem :)

on my geforce4 ti4200 (asus v9280/td) present 3 connectors: stadart vga, dfp and tv-out... so, i connect my monitor to standart vga and try to start Xwindow => monitor lost signal and i see blank screen... then, in box of my geforce4 i find "DFP-to-VGA"-adapter - i reconnect my monitor to DFP connector using this adapter and (surprise, surprise!!!) i see my desktop!!!

i think options ConnectedMonitor, TwinView etc. may help
kudrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 07:05 AM   #7
burnou7

Default Not my problem

I no longer get that problem as long as I don't use the ConnectedMonitor option. I will keep it in mind if I begin to see the loss of connection issue again.

BTW, I have managed finally to get the original opensource drivers working for nvidia, no 3d but that is more than I have had. I will work on this more going forward but for the meantime, a desktop is a great first step.

Have to get rid of WinXP on the dual boot though, it won't boot from CD without APIC turned on and Linux simply will not work without APIC turned off on the BIOS.
Old 06-18-03, 08:21 AM   #8
Gyokuran

You don't need to disable APIC in the BIOS for linux. Just insert "noapic" into the append string in lilo.conf. This will disable APIC if it is compiled into the kernel.

Old 06-18-03, 09:42 AM   #9
burnou7

Default Yeah

That is what I have heard but I have been having major problems trying to do it. From the initial installation, if you simply add noapic to the lilo entry, the OS just doesn't boot. I think that there are some additional system files that need to be installed, I just went into Mandrake control center and told it to force noapic in the boot menu and it installed some additional packages. I will reenable APIC on the BIOS when I get home and reboot to see if it works.
Old 06-18-03, 01:45 PM   #10
Gyokuran

Additional packages certainly aren't necessary.
APIC isn't needed at all for uni-processor machines and it creates an interrupt latency improvement for dual machines. But both kinds of PCs would boot without APIC enabled in the kernel. I'd say that the reason why it doesn't boot is in the syntax or a badly updated boot-sector.

I'd suggest to just edit lilo.conf manually and run lilo afterwards. All it takes is to either make an "append string" with noapic in it or "insert" noapic into an already existing "append string".
When in doubt read "man lilo.conf" for the correct syntax.
Old 06-19-03, 01:37 PM   #11
burnou7

Default APIC fixed

Well, I got APIC turned back on in the BIOS so XP is happy and it is now off on Linux so Linux is happy. Still working on trying to get something besides a blank screen to come up with the nvidia drivers but I am now going to implement the KT400 fix that Andy spoke of and see if that fixes the problem now that I know that APIC is not an issue.